TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
just catching the morning show - westwood is pretty vocal against maurice and the coaching deficiencies. toth seems to be more so pro-maurice. they don't let rewucki talk as they argue :laugh:
They don't let Rewucki talk because he usually makes well thought out points of view that make Toth look like a tool. Not unlike when Matt Leible used make Jay Richardson look like an uniformed idiot then Troy would pile on.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They don't let Rewucki talk because he usually makes well thought out points of view that make Toth look like a tool. Not unlike when Matt Leible used make Jay Richardson look like an uniformed idiot then Troy would pile on.
yeah i think Rewucki is solid, i think he's a good blend of stats/analytics/eye-test and is pretty objective for the most part. I think he is the most well-rounded "analyzer" of the NHL b/w the regulars on 1290 but unfortunately doesn't get the air-time. but the bar is quite low lol

Reactions: Jets 31

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Personally I don't think Ruwicki adds much. Pro-management bent, whitebread opinions. Maybe a little better than the average 1290 guy, but that's a pretty low average.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Brian Munz needs to sleep in. He's a company man who sugar-coats everything. In perhaps the most maddening loss of the season, he goes "The Jets should feel good about scoring four goals against the best defense in the league". They gave up three 2-goal leads! They gave up two goals at the end of the game to go from two points to zero points! Get mad!

The players and coaches shouldn't throw each other under the bus, but if you're representing the fans, tell it like it is. No more interviews with guys who travel with the team. There's zero insight.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Brian Munz needs to sleep in. He's a company man who sugar-coats everything. In perhaps the most maddening loss of the season, he goes "The Jets should feel good about scoring four goals against the best defense in the league". They gave up three 2-goal leads! They gave up two goals at the end of the game to go from two points to zero points! Get mad!

The players and coaches shouldn't throw each other under the bus, but if you're representing the fans, tell it like it is. No more interviews with guys who travel with the team. There's zero insight.
Munz, Edmonds and Beyak are all like this

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Rewucki sounds smarter (sometimes), but he is a blind fan boy at times. Lots of "Laine will pour in 60 this season"... He makes excuses for guys he likes rather than honesty as well. They all do it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Rewucki sounds smarter (sometimes), but he is a blind fan boy at times. Lots of "Laine will pour in 60 this season"... He makes excuses for guys he likes rather than honesty as well. They all do it.

I found he's been fairly critical of Laine through the year. Lots of people made predictions of Laine hitting 50+ goals and being a Rocket contender not just him. He's been pretty critical of team D/coaching/team intensity and composure as of late.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Rewicki and Westwood almost always agree. They both make sense a fair portion of the time. Toth ("I get that, and I agree. I'm not saying that's not true, but here's why that's not true. But I agree. But it's not true"), almost never.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Rewicki and Westwood almost always agree. They both make sense a fair portion of the time. Toth ("I get that, and I agree. I'm not saying that's not true, but here's why that's not true. But I agree. But it's not true"), almost never.
Knowledge-wise, at least from a hockey standpoint, all three would be schooled by a good number of those who post on these forums (and virtually everybody who regularly posts on Hockey History section). They aren't "insiders", ex coaches or any other expert. Westwood can lend some insight into the locker room culture of the CFL or things related to that, but when it comes to hockey he knows less than a lot of us. Same for the other two.

Reactions: thegr8one66

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's a morning show. I don't think there's any real requirement that they be experts in the field. The show is geared more towards entertainment than analysis really. But I give Westwood credit - he was on the advanced stats band wagon very early on - like from the early days of the Big Show when the team first came back - and while he didn't/doesn't always quite get it right in terms of his understanding (and I don't either), he does usually get the gist of it and he at least acknowledges the usefulness of the work. Toth otoh pays lip-service but really doesn't get it and doesn't want to.

But at least they are way above Munz/Beyak/ Edmunds, lol. Those guys are giving us nothing!

Reactions: KB1971 and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's a morning show. I don't think there's any real requirement that they be experts in the field. The show is geared more towards entertainment than analysis really. But I give Westwood credit - he was on the advanced stats band wagon very early on - like from the early days of the Big Show when the team first came back - and while he didn't/doesn't always quite get it right in terms of his understanding (and I don't either), he does usually get the gist of it and he at least acknowledges the usefulness of the work. Toth otoh pays lip-service but really doesn't get it and doesn't want to.

But at least they are way above Munz/Beyak/ Edmunds, lol. Those guys are giving us nothing!

i think Westwood has improved a bit with the topic of advanced stats. I do agree early on that he misused or overused them a bit but it's much more palpable nowadays. I also think it's a bit difficult to convey the technicalities of some advanced stats on-air without losing someone.

TaylorWalleye

Mar 29, 2019
TSN1290 is in need of a huge makeover. From the hosts to the production value. Its below standard to what I am accustomed to listening to. I live in both Winnipeg and Fargo for most of the summer and fall. We have fantastic sports radio beaming from Minneapolis, locally Fargo sports radio coverage, and Green Bay-Milwaukee.

TSN1290 hosts do not understand the business and are basically guardians of the phones and read out sports stories. None of them are worthy in the industry.

Losing Gary Lawless was a huge blow to 1290 and for all of Canada as he was an insider for CFL and NHL.

TaylorWalleye

Mar 29, 2019
Part of the problem also is the talent pool. Nobody in Winnipeg understands how great sports radio can be or even the purpose of it. This is why all the local talent do FM hosting duties. Its easy and you can be successful at it while being annoying. That doesn't work in Sports Radio.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Well, I've got some bad news for them on that front as well... :laugh:

Reactions: KB1971

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
TSN1290 is in need of a huge makeover. From the hosts to the production value. Its below standard to what I am accustomed to listening to. I live in both Winnipeg and Fargo for most of the summer and fall. We have fantastic sports radio beaming from Minneapolis, locally Fargo sports radio coverage, and Green Bay-Milwaukee.

TSN1290 hosts do not understand the business and are basically guardians of the phones and read out sports stories. None of them are worthy in the industry.

Losing Gary Lawless was a huge blow to 1290 and for all of Canada as he was an insider for CFL and NHL.
Did Lawless ever break any story - I mean, aside from his article about Dustin Byfuglien being fat that he bravely published after the season was over and Buff was out of town?

Reactions: KB1971

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well, I've got some bad news for them on that front as well... :laugh:

lol, I saw that coming. It used to be a very entertaining show actually. The first incarnation would have me laughing much of the way on my ride to work. It's less so now - often because the tension between Westwood and Toth is palpable most of the time. But even so, it's a show mostly trying to be just "guys talking about sports." It's more a casual conversation really...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Did Lawless ever break any story - I mean, aside from his article about Dustin Byfuglien being fat that he bravely published after the season was over and Buff was out of town?

Lawless is bizarrely over-rated by some.

TaylorWalleye

Mar 29, 2019
Lawless is the only insider Winnipeg had nationally and around the NHL. Winnipeg has no one now.

Lawless was the most important Sports Personality Winnipeg had since the Cactus Jack/Matheson days.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think Lawless was nearly the insider he might have been advertised to be...plus he was a bit of an idiot.

TaylorWalleye

Mar 29, 2019
You mean underrated. You didn't like the way he spoke? the way he looked? great. Most great personalities can be described that way.

If you wanted to know what was going on with the Jets or Bombers you waited for Hustler and Lawless. If you did not then you weren't knowing what was happening until someone told you.

He was a big deal. There is a reason why Vegas picked him up. And he is absolutely loved by everyone around the organization. He is on 4 radio spots on multiple radio networks and guest on tv.

So I suppose Winnipegers have high level of standard (not sure what) or Winnipegers have no clue.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Its funny when Maurice drops a couple buzz words and guys like Sawyer can't believe what a genius he is.
Maurice being so good with the media is probably his worst quality. If he was a semi-literate asshole, his seat would be much hotter.

TaylorWalleye

Mar 29, 2019
Lawless was offered his own TSN show in Toronto few years ago and turned it down. He was also offered to work for NHL network in 2013. Turned it down.
Then Vegas offered him a great deal and he took it. It allows him to work in hockey for a team and be at his Donnotter beach house on Lake Winnipeg in the summer.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
You mean underrated. You didn't like the way he spoke? the way he looked? great. Most great personalities can be described that way.

If you wanted to know what was going on with the Jets or Bombers you waited for Hustler and Lawless. If you did not then you weren't knowing what was happening until someone told you.

He was a big deal. There is a reason why Vegas picked him up. And he is absolutely loved by everyone around the organization. He is on 4 radio spots on multiple radio networks and guest on tv.

So I suppose Winnipegers have high level of standard (not sure what) or Winnipegers have no clue.

Yeah, there was a reason Vegas picked him up - and it certainly wasn't to do journalism! lol...

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Yup.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
The thing I appreciated about Lawless was though he was reputedly a Jets-insider he also had strong opinions on the team. I remember him talking on air a few years back about 55’s defensive deficiencies and lack of commitment in that part of his game. Obviously we’re still discussing that point to this day. Really it was his abilities as a broadcaster that were below standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegr8one66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad