TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Sadly, we represent a tiny proportion of the listening market. I suspect (fear) that the audience is mostly made up of guys like Ty From Labroquerrie and Ralph In St James.

I have no doubt they all read the forum though...and I imagine Westwood appreciates the (mostly) support he gets here...

I heard a fresh Ty "clone take" the other day. I honestly can't see how it's possible for a human being to be so completely "self-unaware" as that dude is. How can he not recognize on any level what an utter DB he sounds like?? Seems unpossible to me...:dunno: and yet there's not a hint of irony or anything in his dumb diatribes.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure I remember the ratings went up after Toth got hired. Personally I find it more of a fault in a segment of the listeners who can't seem to handle a bit of banter and a different opinion from their's.

they all quite regularly express opinions different from mine. I have no problem with that. Toth is an ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure I remember the ratings went up after Toth got hired. Personally I find it more of a fault in a segment of the listeners who can't seem to handle a bit of banter and a different opinion from their's..

Lots of people seem to think that, if the guy on the radio doesn't agree with them, that the radio is "bad". Talk radio isn't designed to have everyone agree all the time. Too much there appears to be "Toth disagrees with my thoughts so he's bad" on here. Toth's problems are not really being able to back up his arguments after a bit of prodding, not the points he's making themselves.

I'm more likely to tune in for debate than 3 guys agreeing with themselves all the time. There's a term that's not forum appropriate for that kind of echo chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Lots of people seem to think that, if the guy on the radio doesn't agree with them, that the radio is "bad". Talk radio isn't designed to have everyone agree all the time. Too much there appears to be "Toth disagrees with my thoughts so he's bad" on here. Toth's problems are not really being able to back up his arguments after a bit of prodding, not the points he's making themselves.

it's often both...but the not being able to back up his arguments thing is what makes it real annoying.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
I'm pretty sure I remember the ratings went up after Toth got hired. Personally I find it more of a fault in a segment of the listeners who can't seem to handle a bit of banter and a different opinion from their's. [mod]

My opinion of Toth has Zero to do with me disagreeing with him, he just often sounds like he's arguing with Troy just for the sake of arguing. And he also comes off like a total Dbag. Id love to see the ratings before and after he was hired, i find it hard to believe ratings went up. And like another poster said, i ofter disagree with many of the things that RR or especially Lawless has to say, but i have no issue with them. I think its a bigger segment of fans that dislike him than like him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm more likely to tune in for debate than 3 guys agreeing with themselves all the time. There's a term that's not forum appropriate for that kind of echo chamber.

It is the points. He can't defend them because they are ignorant or ill thought out to begin with. I have no problem with people who can find the holes in my position. That's how I learn. Someone who takes an indefensible position and refuses to accept that he might be wrong is just irritating.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It is the points. He can't defend them because they are ignorant or ill thought out to begin with. I have no problem with people who can find the holes in my position. That's how I learn. Someone who takes an indefensible position and refuses to accept that he might be wrong is just irritating.

What it is. I enjoy a healthy disagreement if the antagonist can make a convincing case. No issues with acquiring knowledge and if I'm not fully equipped with data, mea culpa. Just standing your ground with no demonstrable fact base (or shifting ground a la Toth) is sad. And wearisome.

I enjoy Westwood's and Ruiwicki's contributions. Both are far more linear in their presentation and organization. Ruiwicki should host the show, guy is solid as hell.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What it is. I enjoy a healthy disagreement if the antagonist can make a convincing case. No issues with acquiring knowledge and if I'm not fully equipped with data, mea culpa. Just standing your ground with no demonstrable fact base (or shifting ground a la Toth) is sad. And wearisome.

I enjoy Westwood's and Ruiwicki's contributions. Both are far more linear in their presentation and organization. Ruiwicki should host the show, guy is solid as hell.
They should move Rick Ralph to the morning show as host , i would think there is more listeners in the morning than there is at 11 in the morning. Put your best people at the best times , let Toth be on when there are less listeners . I like Hustler but he should go to gamblers anonymous already :laugh:he spends way to much time on this topic .

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
They should move Rick Ralph to the morning show as host , i would think there is more listeners in the morning than there is at 11 in the morning. Put your best people at the best times , let Toth be on when there are less listeners . I like Hustler but he should go to gamblers anonymous already :laugh:he spends way to much time on this topic .

agreed. The focus on sports betting is weird afaic...

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I disagree, I enjoy all the gambling talk. Sports betting represents a large number of sports fans.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
People complain endlessly about the warm-up, but its my favorite 1290 show.

Not your normal sports talk, a lot more light-hearted, and dive into weird topics.

The Major League Eating guy coming on and giving us a picture into that world? Love that, and he is able to frame the sport into nice narratives as well.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I can tolerate the hosts/shows for the most part. RR is a keeper for sure always enjoy the banter he and Hnidy have...they are pretty comical. He is 1290's gem.

JT comes across like an arrogant a** most mornings. I appreciate the devil's advocate take but not when you can't back it up. Troy is ok but I think he overstates his hockey knowledge a bit. Rewicki is solid and usually has the best takes while the other 2 bicker away.

I really enjoy H & L most days when I catch them, except when that loser Morency comes on...Hustler's man crush on him makes me want to puke.

I am not by a radio all the time so actually enjoy some of the replays of the shows...I expect I am in the minority though.

Overall, my car radio is usually tuned to 1290 until they talk gambling and Wrestling...then I switch to Sirius.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I like: Troy and Brandon, RR, Hustler, H&L (I yell at Lawless because he's so clueless from time to time, but I love the banter between he and Hustler). I don't even mind the TSN talking heads, especially Hnidy - they are what they are.

I can very much do without Toth though. Bleh.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I disagree, I enjoy all the gambling talk. Sports betting represents a large number of sports fans.

People complain endlessly about the warm-up, but its my favorite 1290 show.

Not your normal sports talk, a lot more light-hearted, and dive into weird topics.

The Major League Eating guy coming on and giving us a picture into that world? Love that, and he is able to frame the sport into nice narratives as well.

Agree with both of these takes. Love the Warm Up.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

This is the truth. Sports betting is a $3 trillion industry worldwide, though the vast majority of it remains "illegal". I've placed maybe a dozen wagers in my lifetime, but I still find it an interesting discussion.

Watch a Sunday Night Football game, Al Michaels will almost always give a wink and a nudge mention to the point spread.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Thought Brandon hit on some very good points today, things that have been bugging me since the team came here. Specifically the predictable bed******* we see from this team. We know when they are going to let up, we see the failures coming a mile away. Essentially we have established where the boundaries of success are for this team.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Thought Brandon hit on some very good points today, things that have been bugging me since the team came here. Specifically the predictable bed******* we see from this team. We know when they are going to let up, we see the failures coming a mile away. Essentially we have established where the boundaries of success are for this team.

yup. It's a pattern and it's pretty discouraging...

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I like: Troy and Brandon, RR, Hustler, H&L (I yell at Lawless because he's so clueless from time to time, but I love the banter between he and Hustler). I don't even mind the TSN talking heads, especially Hnidy - they are what they are.

I can very much do without Toth though. Bleh.

RR is good overall but he still annoys me sometimes. He argues against a lot of Strawmen and some of his guests are pretty bad. That said he’s still one of the better personalities they have. Only Hustler and (gasp!) Lawless rank above him.

I like Brandon as well. But he’s nowhere near as polished on the radio side of things. Westwood has improved a lot over the years but still falls back on excessive use of big words when he isn’t sure what he’s talking about. They need a genuine broadcast pro working with them and Toth has everything needed on that side of things I just get the impression he’s not the brightest bulb on the Xmass tree.

The guy I like a lot that’s I think would do well in an expanded role is Walby.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think he has some form of legitimate point to make, he just doesn't know how to do it. He debates like he's heard this second hand and he's trying to repeat what he's heard but can't quite remember everything, so he fills in gaps with his own opinions and that's when it falls apart.

The betting stuff I don't mind, especially on the warm up, but the guy they bring in for it is grating.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lawless is really ripping Buff (and to a lesser degree the rest of the "Atlanta core") on H&L this afternoon.

Honestly, I have been worried about Buff's attitude and play since early this season. He just hasn't seemed nearly as engaged as he was the past two seasons. If the Jets are going to go anywhere, Buff needs to be "on" much more than he has been this season.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Lawless is really ripping Buff (and to a lesser degree the rest of the "Atlanta core") on H&L this afternoon.

Honestly, I have been worried about Buff's attitude and play since early this season. He just hasn't seemed nearly as engaged as he was the past two seasons. If the Jets are going to go anywhere, Buff needs to be "on" much more than he has been this season.

He has his retirement contract. And he doesn't have to worry much about the extra season for most of the time he has left.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Did he rip Pavelec, or continue to praise him for making the "big saves" and brushing off his weak goals?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Did he rip Pavelec, or continue to praise him for making the "big saves" and brushing off his weak goals?

Hasn't talked about him from what I've heard. At the very least his Buff comments should hopefully put to bed the "media is just saying what TNSE is telling them to" theory, but I doubt that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Talked at some length about how Pavs has come in and brought confidence with his "big saves". Nauseating, really. Amazing that he's so happy with an 0.894 goalie as his #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad