TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Sun

So some interesting developments from what I see at 1290. Since 1290 got the Jets rights, you'd find quite a few Free Press personalities on the different shows. I spoke with someone in the know last year and they informed me that WFP and 1290 had an agreement to share talent (this is why you have never heard any of the Sun writers on 1290). Now fast forward to today and Tim Campbell was on H&L and was introduced as "Tim Campbell from NHL.com". So I went to Tim's twitter feed and noticed that it was still showing him as an employee of WFP (also odd that he hasn't tweeted anything since Aug.5). Now, I don't listen to 1290 a lot during the summer but it occurred to me that Wiecek or anybody else from the WFP hasn't appeared on any 1290 programs in awhile (please someone correct me if this isn't true).

It's possible that their agreement has run out and the two media outlets haven't/aren't renewing. If this is the case then this could be a long cold winter for 1290. Their on-air personalities are average to weak at the best of times and with no expertise from the WFP guys it will only get worse.

(Before anyone corrects me, Ken Wiebe did do some work on TSN TV but that fell outside the agreement 1290 had with WFP.)

Sun seems to have the same arrangement with 'OB.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
So some interesting developments from what I see at 1290. Since 1290 got the Jets rights, you'd find quite a few Free Press personalities on the different shows. I spoke with someone in the know last year and they informed me that WFP and 1290 had an agreement to share talent (this is why you have never heard any of the Sun writers on 1290). Now fast forward to today and Tim Campbell was on H&L and was introduced as "Tim Campbell from NHL.com". So I went to Tim's twitter feed and noticed that it was still showing him as an employee of WFP (also odd that he hasn't tweeted anything since Aug.5). Now, I don't listen to 1290 a lot during the summer but it occurred to me that Wiecek or anybody else from the WFP hasn't appeared on any 1290 programs in awhile (please someone correct me if this isn't true).

It's possible that their agreement has run out and the two media outlets haven't/aren't renewing. If this is the case then this could be a long cold winter for 1290. Their on-air personalities are average to weak at the best of times and with no expertise from the WFP guys it will only get worse.

(Before anyone corrects me, Ken Wiebe did do some work on TSN TV but that fell outside the agreement 1290 had with WFP.)

I think it's partly time of year. Most talk in the summer is baseball, CFL and paid commercials from Assiniboia Downs. CFL for the most part they tap into the TSN well. And Blue Jays they go to Toronto media or TSN employees. Plus, as I said, Jeff Hamilton is WFP and does talk Bombers.

When the Jets start kicking into gear, we'll hear more from WFP.

Another thing too is a lot of WFP employees are leaving. Tait to Bombers, Campbell to NHL, Lawless to TSN, Kives to CBC, etc...

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I know a lot of people can't stand the people calling in. Well I suggest calling in and changing that if you're listening and free. I do. I'm Derek from Van island if you've ever heard me call in

Ya so I'm quoting myself cuz I called today and was intoxicated! Now I'm just one of the other punks that put on drivel. I'm owning up to it so ya. Planned on talking ehlers Olympics and the case for Roslovic for the moose but messed it. Whatevs I tried

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Ya so I'm quoting myself cuz I called today and was intoxicated! Now I'm just one of the other punks that put on drivel. I'm owning up to it so ya. Planned on talking ehlers Olympics and the case for Roslovic for the moose but messed it. Whatevs I tried

Lol I heard that and was like "is this dude stoned"? Guess I wasn't that far off.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Media

When ever I did radio or newspaper interviews over the phone I tried to have some written talking points in front of me. That and making sure I wasn't pissed, 555!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol...I heard that call. I thought to myself "this dude is toasted." Then, since you were a caller I wasn't familiar with, I thought "I bet that's the guy who suggested on hfboards that more of us should call in!" :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lol hustler cut me hard. Usually I say good stuff. HF stuff. I owned it. Usually I say decent stuff. Was wasted and on a frolf friz golf course just ruined.

Well the good news is being a drunk caller on 1290 slots you in with the vast majority so lots of time to bounce back from an afternoon drunk dial.

shoops

Aug 25, 2016
Just heard Lawless say it is TOTH - don't mind that - they need a few more seasoned announcers at 1290... Now they just have to get rid of the replay hours... That is the worst... Either let the shows go longer or stream another feed - but no replays!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If it's Toth, get ready for a full winter of arguments between Toth and Westwood/Ruwicki about Pavelec.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If it's Toth, get ready for a full winter of arguments between Toth and Westwood/Ruwicki about Pavelec.

Yep going to be quite the arguments going. Toth and his Pavelec crush vs the ones who know anything.

Hey have to say I got a little sentimental for Leibl this AM. I guess he was alright; just determined to be right which Toth will trump him at. Lawless was live on the show & it was actually pretty funny.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Don't care about Toth's stance toward Pavelec; he is entitled to his opinion and to share it.

He can competently talk hockey otherwise though - which is all that really matters. If 1290 would just get rid of Westwood I might even be inclined to tune into the show.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
A typical, stilted, meandering Troy Westwood question to a guest:

Well, that is just tremendous! Chevy, we live in a day and age right now, we all know how short the off-season is for players, and the reality is the true... it is almost non-stop year-round, the off-season is maybe a week to two tops ya' get to take off from training and all of the rest of it, the life of a GM, we all know that Craig Heisinger is famous for fishin', loves his being an angler and stuff like that, can you take us into the, uh, the off-season of a GM and maybe what you do for kicks?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
meh...toth. Guess we'll see how it goes...

Was a little emotional this morning. See ya Matt!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Toth, eh? Yet another reason for me to not listen to TSN1290 except for game days and the occasional RR show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad