Prospect Info: #121OA - Hurricanes Select RW Tuukka Tieksola

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This ELC has a European Assignment Clause, like Kochetkov. This means that he likely stays in the Liiga for this coming season before coming to the AHL the season after. Good for him to get that ELC!

He has the option to be loaned to Europe (if he so wills) instead of being loaned to AHL, yes, but that can also be a mere precaution against getting permanently buried to AHL.

NHL SPCs are tradeable, and prior UFA you never know in what NHL team (and AHL team) you may get traded to. Plus, we too are a deep organization with roster full of forwards who are hard to scratch from a playoffs game. It can be that the idea behind the clause for him is to have an option if it looks like he's looking at second or third year of bussing around for 70k.

His ELC signing age is 20, so there is no option to Slide his ELC.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Honest question although I don’t want to say like the stupid American asking stupid questions…
Do Finnish people follow/ care about NHL teams with a concentration of Finnish players or do they follow the specific players from their hometown? Or is it laissez faire?

I don’t follow Americans that play soccer/ football in Europe or really care for the teams just because there is an American there. I figured it would be the same for Finnish players but thought I would ask.

@Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Honest question although I don’t want to say like the stupid American asking stupid questions…
Do Finnish people follow/ care about NHL teams with a concentration of Finnish players or do they follow the specific players from their hometown? Or is it laissez faire?

I don’t follow Americans that play soccer/ football in Europe or really care for the teams just because there is an American there. I figured it would be the same for Finnish players but thought I would ask.

@Lempo
I would think there are as many motivations as there are watchers. The press catering for the large audiences insist on talking of "the Finn team" about any team with 3+ Finn players, but once you're investing more into following the NHL generally or a team, the local press stops being your source.

Maybe more than a number you follow a specific player's career to NHL and kind of initially adopt that team as "yours". Fickle thing obviously in case of a trade, but it can go any which way.

And then... I know my workmate is a huge follower of the NHL, but I totally have no idea if he has a favorite team at all. And, another workmate has the Preds logo on his whatsapp.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

@Lempo

Finnish people in general like hockey a lot and follow NHL, because it's the best hockey league. The majority, I'd say, are not specifically "fans" of a certain team - or at least not die-hard fans; it's more of a thing that "what game should I watch tonight? Oh, Stars vs Avs - they both have Finns, should be good!" So, generally having more Finns in a team promotes people's interest in it - which is fueled by the Finnish media that tends to follow such teams more.

Then there are people who have a favorite player (usually someone from their home team in FEL), and they follow them wherever they go.

We're a small nation of like 5 million people; if some fellow Finn is doing well in sport X, it will spark interest in said sport and the team in question (given that it's a team sport). For example this spring Awak Kuier (who is Finnish by nationality, albeit her origins are from Egypt) got drafted to WNBA #2OA and it caused a huge interest in WNBA. Finnish sports journalists wrote stories of her being the next huge superstar - which was a bit funny, because I could bet $50 that one week before that draft 90% of them couldn't have been able to name even one WNBA player. :D

I think it's different for US natives because there's thousands and thousands of US athletes, who are good in their sport. We have like a dozen good hockey players and Kimi Räikkönen.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
I would think there are as many motivations as there are watchers. The press catering for the large audiences insist on talking of "the Finn team" about any team with 3+ Finn players, but once you're investing more into following the NHL generally or a team, the local press stops being your source.

Maybe more than a number you follow a specific player's career to NHL and kind of initially adopt that team as "yours". Fickle thing obviously in case of a trade, but it can go any which way.

And then... I know my workmate is a huge follower of the NHL, but I totally have no idea if he has a favorite team at all. And, another workmate has the Preds logo on his whatsapp.

this is f26 you have no choice but to kill him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad