Speculation: 12 Teams interested in Brandon Tanev

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
According to Dregger there are 12 teams looking at signing Chris Tanev's younger brother Brandon .

He has spent the last 4 yrs in NCAA hockey putting up modest stats. 6'0 tall , 24 yrs old. His biggest asset Is his skating.

Last summer he attended Bruins camp. In 2011 he attended Canucks camp.

Do we have any interest in this guy? Could be a late bloomer like his brother. 12 teams interested says a lot. Do we have the advantage w Chris on the team and Brandon having played for Surrey Eagles before.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
According to Dregger there are 12 teams looking at signing Chris Tanev's younger brother Brandon .

He has spent the last 4 yrs in NCAA hockey putting up modest stats. 6'0 tall , 24 yrs old. His biggest asset Is his skating.

Do we have any interest in this guy? Could be a late bloomer like his brother. 12 teams interested says a lot. Do we have the advantage w Chris on the team and Brandon having played for Surrey Eagles before.

Yes, we do.

Yes, we should sign him.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
is it really worth it to sign him? Sounds like he will be an AHL fodder

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
His stats are pretty underwhelming given his age. He's the same age as Vey and still not a top line player in college.

Even still, I wouldn't be upset if the Canucks signed him. At his age his ELC would only be for one season. So worst case he's another Walsky.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Scouts are raving about his skating. I don't think he would be a bad add to UTICa. If we hit the jackpot then we have another Hansen.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Seems like a low risk signing if it is only a one year ELC.

Probably could help Utica at least. The writeups about him and his stats seem to be similar to Bill Sweatt.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Chris Tanev was a late bloomer because when he was 17 he was only 5'2" or something like that. I wouldn't expect the same results from Brandon.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

I think the fact that there aren't 30 teams interested says a little bit.

Free asset, sure, that'd be great. But I would tuck away the expectations. Think Dane Fox territory.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Lets play the guessing game

Boston
Vancouver
Toronto
NYR
NYI
Chicago
Montreal
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Washington
San Jose
Columbus

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Chris Tanev was a late bloomer because when he was 17 he was only 5'2" or something like that. I wouldn't expect the same results from Brandon.

Apparently the Tanevs have late growth spurts. I read that Brandon was 4'9" and 85 pounds when he was 14, so he took four years off from competitive hockey since he was too small.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
No one expected Chris to become arguably our best dman. Why not take a risk on his brother?

I mean Steve Kariya worked out after all... joking.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Long ago finished growing...
So you are left with a smaller 24 yr old that hasn't been able to score in any level of advanced hockey, but he's (apparently) a good skater.

Let's say his offensive game improves as much as his brothers...what we are (still) left with is a smaller 24+ yr old that can't score at any level of advanced hockey, but he's a good skater.

There is little upside here. His potential signing would, 2-3 years down the line, still be a longshot to be able to help even Utica.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Impossible for me to say whether it's a good idea without having seen him play. Numbers aren't great - but if he's an elite skater and has his brother's positional IQ, then it's worth a look.

Age is obviously a concern. He'll be almost 25 before playing a pro game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Long ago finished growing...
So you are left with a smaller 24 yr old that hasn't been able to score in any level of advanced hockey, but he's (apparently) a good skater.

Let's say his offensive game improves as much as his brothers...what we are (still) left with is a smaller 24+ yr old that can't score at any level of advanced hockey, but he's a good skater.

There is little upside here. His potential signing would, 2-3 years down the line, still be a longshot to be able to help even Utica.

I believe when he was at Canucks camp he was like 5'10" or something. It doesn't seem like he will grow to Chris' size but that's okay.

I'm not sold on Brandon being an NHL player, but he does have that Alex Friesen quality to him. Could be a good depth signing with upside. Besides, you only need to sign him for a year.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I believe when he was at Canucks camp he was like 5'10" or something. It doesn't seem like he will grow to Chris' size but that's okay.

I'm not sold on Brandon being an NHL player, but he does have that Alex Friesen quality to him. Could be a good depth signing with upside. Besides, you only need to sign him for a year.

Not a good comparison... Friesen is smart but pretty slow compared and his speed is the main thing holding him back. Tanev biggest asset seems to be speed and his last name so he has the opposite going for him.

That said, my guess is if he's anything like his brother, he'll make a solid defensive forward. Rather or not that's enough to stick in the NHL is debatable but still worthwhile to take a chance. After all an ELC really doesn't cost much and every team signed worst players to an ELC.

You would think given Tanev's connection, we would have an inside track signing him and if anything else we should do it just to keep Chris Tanev happy. :laugh:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Chris might not want him in Vancouver

If he doesn't, then we aren't interested... its really that simple tho you would think most brothers/family would like sticking together if given the chance (i.e. look at the Staals).

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
No one wanted Jordy Benn. That's why he signed in Dallas.

No idea if Brandon will sign here but there is no harm on taking a flyer on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad