Rangers: 1st; 9th;
Flyers: 2nd; 6th
Bruins: 3rd; 4th; 10th;
Hurricanes: 5th;
Islanders: 7th
Capitals: 8th;
Canadiens: 11th;
Mighty Ducks 12

I guess it wasn't the Maple Leafs who ruined hockey after all!

Funny that the Bruins, who have the most belligerent owner in the game have been responsible for 25% of the contracts on the list.

and four teams on the list are teams that this labour armageddon are trying to save.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Might I add

Alexander Daigle and Eric Lindros for rookies,

Brian Skrudland and Mike Keane for Role PLayers (both with NYR)

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
See, we need a salary cap so teams like Detroit can compete. The way Boston and Carolina throw money around ruins it for everybody else.

acr*

Jeremy Jacobs has been a cheap ******* for years because of the impending CBA, yet he's responsible for most of it?

The story about Illitch calling Jacobs a cheapskate to his face at the governors meeting and the Bruins conveniently overpaying for a Detroit free agent the next offseason is pretty funny though, despite the fact that my team has to live with the Lapointe contract and can't afford much of anything else on the free agent market.

YellHockey*

It's typical garbage aimed at misguided Albertans.

There are some contracts on there that have caused salaries to rise but Holik and Lapointe had no effect on anyone else's salary while Jagr and Leclair had little effect.

It's also pretty damn biased that he blames Theodore when Theodore's contract was based upon the one that Iginla signed. Why wasn't Iginla's contract mentioned?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A better article on the contracts they really jacked up salaries

http://www.macon.com/mld/philly/sports/columnists/tim_panaccio/9759676.htm

In no particular order

Joe Sakic - Rangers - 1997
Paul Kariya - Anaheim - 1997
Eric Lindros - Philadelphia - 1998
Sergei Fedorov - Carolina - 1998
Joe Murphy - St. Louis - 1996
Dave Ellett - Boston - 1997
Trent Klatt - Arbitration award - 1998
Valeri Kamensky - Rangers - 1999
Dallas Drake - St. Louis - 2000
Boyd Devereaux - Detroit - 2000

Last edited:

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
i don't care for the leafs, but all this *****ing and complaining and constant ragging of the buds is SO LAME. they're a good team, they run a great business, so they spend lots on players. they can afford to!

to go further, i don't see how any fan of hockey can truly "hate" an nhl team. it's all just so childish...

HckyFght*

Mario Lemieux belongs at the very top of the list. Actually, he belongs in a category all by himself. His salary demands were so egregious that he bankrupted the team and ended up owning it himself because they couldn't pay.
-HckyFght

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Giguere's contract had little effect on anything. It was signed a year ago, when hockey was already killed by other contracts. Theodore's contract is in the same boat, but it was the benchmark for the Turco and Giguere contracts, so I can see why it might be on this list.

The fact that he called both one-year wonders shows how dumb he is. He also said neither lived up to the expectations. Well, Giguere's only had a year to do so. Theodore's only had two, but with his all-star performance that led the Habs to the second round of the playoffs last year, it's obvious he has lived up to expectations, for now, anyways.

Reilly311

Iginla was considered a one-year wonder after his 50 goal season. If he didn't have that late season surge last year and get his Flames into the playoffs, he would have been traded.

Reilly311

HckyFght said:
His salary demands were so egregious that he bankrupted the team and ended up owning it himself because they couldn't pay.
-HckyFght

Up until the 2002 season, the Pens actually made money. The reason they are having problems financially (besides having a bad arena) is because of Baldwin.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
HckyFght said:
Mario Lemieux belongs at the very top of the list. Actually, he belongs in a category all by himself. His salary demands were so egregious that he bankrupted the team and ended up owning it himself because they couldn't pay.
-HckyFght

sadly, you have no idea what you are talking about

Baldwin wanted to keep his cup teams together, and ended up spending a ton on Kevin Stevens, Tocchet, Ulf, and many others just to try and keep them....he forced CP to sign them with money they didn't have

Mario's contract was 7 million a year, for one of the top 3 hockey players ever....not a bad deal

Mario actually deferred that money for Baldwin 2 times so Baldwin could survive and that is the reason he ended up owning the franchise...because he deferred his money...

Lemieux, while redoing his contract for the second time to help Baldwin, deserved to be paid more money. Baldwin could not afford to give him a pay raise so he gave him extra years on his contract and guarenteed those years even if he didn't play

MacDaddy TLC*

SerbianEagle said:
How about Niuwendyk, Belfour, Roberts, Dmitri Khristich, Sundin, Joseph. How about them apples Leafs fans?
Toronto can afford what they can spend. They had the most revenue earned last season, 18 million dollars more than the next best team. Just more sour grapes from one of the weak sisters of the west.

The Leafs only do what the system allows them to do. They didn't over pay ANY of the players you listed in the expired CBA's economic climate.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gurj said:
Interesting read, from canoe.ca

12 Contracts that killed hockey

NO. 1 -- JOE SAKIC

NO. 2 -- CHRIS GRATTON

NO. 3 & 4 -- JOE THORNTON/SERGEI SAMSONOV

NO. 5 -- SERGEI FEDOROV

NO. 6 -- JOHN LECLAIR

NO. 7 & 8 -- ALEXEI YASHIN/JAROMIR JAGR

NO. 9 -- BOBBY HOLIK

NO. 10 -- MARTIN LAPOINTE

NO. 11 & 12 -- JOSE THEODORE/J-S GIGUERE

To me that's a pretty crappy list. A few of those contracts (Yashin, Holik, Lapointe) were horrible the minute they were signed, and did little to drive up salaries league-wide, as there were few comparable players. Leclair would have been an OK contract if he was the player he was before he was signed - the contract Gilmour got from Chicago in 1998 was far worse than Leclair's in terms of overpaying an over-the-hill former star. Theodore/Giguere are overpaid but those weren't earth-changing contracts. The Sakic offer sheet, the Thornton linked bonuses deal, and the Fedorov offer sheet do deserve to be on the list.

Fat contracts to superstars or old UFAs don't really do a ton to drive up salaries since there aren't that many comparables. The worst contracts are huge overpayments of mid-range players with lots of comparable guys around the league. Kelly Miller signed a huge offer sheet from SJ in 1992 which paid him over $1 million when only superstars were making that money. The Joe Murphy contract (amongst others) from St. Louis in 1996 was mind-boggling at the time for a 60-point guy. It's contracts like this which have driven up the contracts of average players to $2 million/year, which more than anything has killed the league payroll wise.

Lanny MacDonald*

BlackRedGold said:

Well, that's rather inflamatory and quite, shall we say, biggotted. I thought they had rules against that type of stuff around here (racial slurs/sexist/ethnic stereotyping/xenophobic comments, see rule #4)?

;)

There are some contracts on there that have caused salaries to rise but Holik and Lapointe had no effect on anyone else's salary while Jagr and Leclair had little effect.

The author points out how those contracts contributed to the inflationary spiral in the NHL. He makes a very good point and backs up his comments. Do you have anything that would counter his opinion and support yours? Any sort of proof or paper trail? I agree with the writer that many of these contracts set unreasonable expectations that allowed salary escalation to get out of hand.

It's also pretty damn biased that he blames Theodore when Theodore's contract was based upon the one that Iginla signed. Why wasn't Iginla's contract mentioned?

I'm not sure if it is biased because he was looking at a particular angle with these two players (the one-year wonders was how he put it). He supports his belief when he says "Prior to their deals, goalies signed to mega-contracts either had a long history of success," and then lists the goaltenders to have signed large contracts prior to the deals in question. Both Theodore and Giguere cashed in huge for one season's performance, and have yet to repeat that success. He stated that "Neither have managed to live up to the value or expectations", in his article which further supports his angle of one year not being worthy of such massive contracts.

Iginla was hardly a one year wonder and was coming off a big contract of his own (http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyCalgaryArchive/oct8_fla.html), prior to get the contract you suggest (http://www.allsports.com/network/content?site=1024&story=33960) was the framework for Theodore's contract. So because of the performance factors of Iginla's career, the number of contracts he had worked through, he had been in the NHL since he was 19, it goes without saying that Iginla and Theodore were not comparable and that Montreal hit the panic button in signing Theodore to the contract they did.

Last edited by a moderator:

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:

What an ignorant thing to say...and coming from you, absolutely no surprise.

Also you are dead wrong...again, no surprise.

Theodore signed his deal BEFORE Iginla did.

But why let facts get in the way of a good old uninformed rant huh?

Clown.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'd have put Lapointe's at the top of the list.

Serbian - you forgot McCabe on that list.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
The Leafs only do what the system allows them to do. They didn't over pay ANY of the players you listed in the expired CBA's economic climate.
Fuuny how some non homer fans admitted they overpaid for the players. Everyone and his dog knows they severely overpaid for Belfour as noone else was interested.

Hockey_Nut99

Stevex said:
I'd have put Lapointe's at the top of the list.

Serbian - you forgot McCabe on that list.

No I think Sakic belongs up there. Sather, that jacka**, gave him a huge contract and gave him a huuuuge signing bonus ontop. That really started escalating salaries everywhere. I don't see why they pretty much doubled his contract? I guess it was b/c he wasn't unrestricted and they had to do something mindboggling for Colorado not to match it.

I wonder how the Rangers would have faired if they got to keep Sakic? I don't know why but I think Sakic would have played great there. He doesn't seem to be the lazy type.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
likea said:
Lemieux, while redoing his contract for the second time to help Baldwin, deserved to be paid more money. Baldwin could not afford to give him a pay raise so he gave him extra years on his contract and guarenteed those years even if he didn't play

Yes, Lemieux shouldn't be attacked, he's done alot.

Didn't he try and sign at the league average a few seasons ago, and the NHLPA forced him to sign a larger contract? It was after he bought part of the Pens, but I don't remember any other details.

Perhaps somebody can fill in the blanks?

YellHockey*

The Iconoclast said:
Well, that's rather inflamatory and quite, shall we say, biggotted. I thought they had rules against that type of stuff around here (racial slurs/sexist/ethnic stereotyping/xenophobic comments, see rule #4)?

I figured you'd be stupid enough to think something like that.

It's not stereotyping when you're only lumping everyone into the same category. I did not say all Albertans were misguided.

But there sure are a lot of them if the posters at Calgarypuck are any indication.

But that's as far as I'm going to take this because its offtopic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad