12 Contracts that killed hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hockey_Nut99 said:
I wish there was some sort of rebel in the future who was as good as Gretzky. A guy who was happy with about 4 million a year. That way nobody could ever ask for more than him. ALl it would take is one guy who ruled the league in numbers and was happy with an average salary. The Union would be up his a** all the time

He's probably leave the union and work as a FA. What exactly would the union do for him?

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
HckyFght said:
Mario Lemieux belongs at the very top of the list. Actually, he belongs in a category all by himself. His salary demands were so egregious that he bankrupted the team and ended up owning it himself because they couldn't pay.
-HckyFght

Lemieux's contract had no effect on salaries. Everyone acknowledged that Lemieux and Gretkzy were in a class by themselves, so no one else ever used them for a reference.

However, Lemieux's contract did help bankrupt the Pens, but not because his yearly salary was high. His contract said that it would pay him, whether he played or not! So he simply retired and kept on collecting money until the team went bankrupt. The money that is "owed" is essentially money that he never earned. The owner Baldwin was such a jock sniffer that he just wanted to make Lemieux happy.

Super-Rye

Jul 4, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Iginla was considered a one-year wonder after his 50 goal season. If he didn't have that late season surge last year and get his Flames into the playoffs, he would have been traded.

Yes, he scored 41 goals last year, he was a leader on and off the ice, he lead his team to within 1 win of lord stanley's cup. Clearly being a dominate force in the NHL at the age of 25 was going to make him a 1 year wonder, and obviously he was going to be traded at the deadline with the Flames in a playoff position...

I fail to see your reasoning.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
a player who signed his contract at below market value due to loyalty to his team ?

alfredsson signed for less cash than he would've received on the open market to remain in ottawa with a no-trade clause.

the better question is, what teams have shown loyalty to a player ?

i can only think of three ... dallas, detroit and new jersey

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I wish there was some sort of rebel in the future who was as good as Gretzky. A guy who was happy with about 4 million a year. That way nobody could ever ask for more than him. ALl it would take is one guy who ruled the league in numbers and was happy with an average salary. The Union would be up his a** all the time

I'd be more impressed if he took only $1 mill a season, with half of it going to charity. THAT would set an example for the rest of the NHLPA.

MacDaddy TLC*

PitkanenPower said:
I paid Michael Handzus $7.5 a year for 6 years in NHL 2004.... Sorry guys.
I blame all those #@$##!#@s playing NHL 2004 for giving the NHL players ridiculous contracts and an unrealistic views of their worth!

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
I blame all those #@$##!#@s playing NHL 2004 for giving the NHL players ridiculous contracts and an unrealistic views of their worth!
BLAME the games, EHM drives up contracts riduclasly. After a few seasons Nash is earning 14 mill! and Lidstrom the same. Lapointe, 8 mill. Messier 11 mill, it makes us offer it high contracts.

the 24 percent rollback, a luxury tax, and a new RFA system should help fix the league.

MacDaddy TLC*

Does NHL2004, 2005, or EHM have the option to lockout the players and begin bargaining on a collective agreement? Do the players go on strike? That could be one hell of a fun game feature!

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I was (and still am) paying outragous contracts in NHL 2004.

I traded for Pronger at 24 million a year(oh sweet jesus)

I released him to free agency and signed him for 18 million :eek: it's the lowest I could get even with lvl 10 lawyers(each level makes players sign for like 5% less)

at least my younger players are allright, Klesla-91 overall-signed for 3 million

Colaiacovo re-signed at 9 million but he's worth it considering he:

Won the Hart and Norris
Finneshed 2nd to Sundin who retired after that last season( :cry: ) by 1 goal and 2 points for the Richard and Art Ross.

Last 4 seasons his lowest point total was 106 and I'm on difficult where Thornton gets 70-80 points for me with superstar wingers.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Does NHL2004, 2005, or EHM have the option to lockout the players and begin bargaining on a collective agreement? Do the players go on strike? That could be one hell of a fun game feature!

Well, I was unable to strike a new CBA with the NHL2004PA so I folded the league and started a new one with ESPN NHL 2k5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad