Post-Game Talk: #12 | Blues at Flyers | November 8, 2022 | 7:00 PM | Win 5-1

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts can't walk on water, but he's got a team that people here have declared to be the least talented team in the NHL (OK, there's Arizona) playing well. Repeat, they're not a good team, but they're not the terrible team some predicted.

Compare to CBJ, that has a healthy JG, Voracek, Laine, Roslovic, Jenner, Werenski, SIllinger #12, Johnson #5, Chinakhov #21. A lot more talent on paper than the Flyers, but play like defense is an afterthought.

Yes, CBJ has terrible goalies, but both are 28, and Merzlikins under Torts put up S% of .923 and .916, Korpisalo had his one good season under Torts. Torts protects his goalies, as we saw last night.

Farabee - Laughton - Allison was effectively the 1st line last night
Tippett - Hayes - TK, xGFrel +23.71, 2 goals
Sedlak - Cates - MacEwen, xGFrel +11.12
Deslaurier - Frost - Laczynski, xGFrel -21.85, off night after a good showing in Ottawa

They don't have great metrics, but they should improve as the lineup settles and players jell, there are still too many plays where they seem diconnected, with one player zigging while the other zags.

Reactions: Devonator

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It was a fun game to watch. One of the rare ones this year where the Flyers actually looked like the better team. To be fair, the Blues hit like three posts and a few would have been slam dunk goals.

Happy for Sandstrom.

Those jerseys looked decent enough in the picture reveal, but I didn't like them at all in real game action.

TK, Tippett, Farabee, DeAngelo, Provy, Sanheim all very noticeable.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Torts can't walk on water, but he's got a team that people here have declared to be the least talented team in the NHL (OK, there's Arizona) playing well. Repeat, they're not a good team, but they're not the terrible team some predicted.

Compare to CBJ, that has a healthy JG, Voracek, Laine, Roslovic, Jenner, Werenski, SIllinger #12, Johnson #5, Chinakhov #21. A lot more talent on paper than the Flyers, but play like defense is an afterthought.

Yes, CBJ has terrible goalies, but both are 28, and Merzlikins under Torts put up S% of .923 and .916, Korpisalo had his one good season under Torts. Torts protects his goalies, as we saw last night.

Deslaurier - Frost - Laczynski, xGFrel -21.85, off night after a good showing in Ottawa

They don't have great metrics, but they should improve as the lineup settles and players jell, there are still too many plays where they seem diconnected, with one player zigging while the other zags.
They're a terrible team that are getting wins on the backs of a goaltending heater. It isn't sustainable. All of the metrics say that this team is terrible. You know this but enjoy your victory lap before inevitably you change your tune.

Also just to be clear you went from Torts is the "Offense Whisperer" to denying that you ever claimed that to now saying that he's the "Goalie Whisperer?"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're a terrible team that are getting wins on the backs of a goaltending heater. It isn't sustainable. All of the metrics say that this team is terrible. You know this but enjoy your victory lap before inevitably you change your tune.

Also just to be clear you went from Torts is the "Offense Whisperer" to denying that you ever claimed that to now saying that he's the "Goalie Whisperer?"
Never claimed he's an offensive HC, rather, he creates offensive chances due to an aggressive forecheck that forces turnovers in the O-zone - which is exactly what we've seen - and why most of his teams are among league leaders in xGF/60. That also leads to more odd man rushes the opposite way, which is why he stresses backchecking, get back quickly and you limit the time an odd man rush has to make a play.

But he is a "goalie whisperer," goalies play better under him b/c he emphasizes blocking shots, clearing the crease and winning board battles in the D-zone, three areas where the Flyers sucked the last two seasons.

It'll be interesting watching the next couple drafts, to play his system for forwards speed is a plus. On defense, speed may be less important, smarts and skill more important (b/c he likes his D-men to aggressively pinch and join the offense).

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
All utter fantasy. Pure Tortorella erotica.

The Flyers have been throttled all year. They’re 29th in xGF/60 and 31st in xGA/60. He isn’t protecting his goalies. He isn’t creating offense. He’s existing and he’s failing.

Again, you know that these numbers will result in major amount of losses that will be coming in short order so I don’t know why you feel the need to pretend otherwise.

This team IS terrible.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
But he is a "goalie whisperer," goalies play better under him b/c he emphasizes blocking shots, clearing the crease and winning board battles in the D-zone, three areas where the Flyers sucked the last two seasons.
So are you saying that there should be less overall scoring chances against, which makes the goalies job easier?

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All utter fantasy. Pure Tortorella erotica.

The Flyers have been throttled all year. They’re 29th in xGF/60 and 31st in xGA/60. He isn’t protecting his goalies. He isn’t creating offense. He’s existing and he’s failing.

Again, you know that these numbers will result in major amount of losses that will be coming in short order so I don’t know why you feel the need to pretend otherwise.

This team IS terrible.
I am sure we will continue to have a league best high danger sv% at .941.

So everyone knows how inflated it is, the next 2 best team are at .883 & .861.

Last year, the best was .846. The year before .851.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

He sure as shit doesn't protect his goalies.

LOOK AT HARTS SAVE PERCENTAGE at facing 37 shots per game. Hart is f***ing carrying his ass like Hank did in NYC

Sandstrom got his first win last night in his fourth game where he's faced an average of 30 shots a game. They may clamp down more for Felix than Carter but still 30 is not playing defensively.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
No, but shots that are easier to stop, which explains the higher S%.
Are you saying this in general, and only in previous years? Or do you believe that's the case this year too? That Carter Hart's save percentage is high because of the volume of LD shots?

There might be a bit of truth in what his teams have done defensively from a shot standpoint. I haven't really looked into it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am sure we will continue to have a league best high danger sv% at .941.

So everyone knows how inflated it is, the next 2 best team are at .883 & .861.

Last year, the best was .846. The year before .851.
Was checking CBJ under Torts, guess what the Flyer 5x5 HDSv% was in 2015-16? .937! So it can be done.
Shows how out of his gourd Mason was that season.

There will be regression to the mean, but goalies under Torts consistently match or exceed their career norm S% playing for him.
Since I doubt he knows how to coach goalies, it must be due to the style of play in front of his goalies.

And the Flyers will reduce the amount of high danger chances against as they settle in, I wouldn't take the first 10 games too seriously, between injuries, learning a new scheme and play a half dozen inexperienced forwards, growing pains were to be expected.

So both their record and their metrics over that stretch are probably misleading.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Smells like we got a few heavy weed smokers here. It goes very much in line with the forgetful attitude, and the everything is just fine attitude surrounding a pile of shit that is the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think anyone has suggested "everything is just fine," rather, it's not close to being butt ugly like last season.
The team is faster top to bottom than it has been since ???
They are playing harder, especially board battles and in front of the net.
Some young players are showing potential to be part of a core going forward.

Doesn't mean they're going to be a good team, but there's enough right now to be a respectable team.
Cates, Allison, Laczynski, Frost isn't a bad group to be in your bottom six.

And we'll see what happens in LHV, Foerster, Desnoyers, Wisdom, Lycksell, Attard are off to solid starts, York is starting to pick it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad