GDT: 12/9/14 - Isles @ Wild - 7 PM CST / 3 AM EET - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I don't like the Scandy issue. Reminds me a bit of Bouchard's stick in that he needs to learn how to control it. It looks pretty bad in a vacuum, because it shows a swing but he didn't catch Tavares that bad. If he had caught him on the side of the knee, yeah...
He didn't catch him bad at all. And Scandy was getting slashed before that...just returning the favor.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He didn't catch him bad at all. And Scandy was getting slashed before that...just returning the favor.

As I said; like the Bouchard issue. Bouchard was getting prodded as well with some stick work. Does it make it ok? No but the Department of Player Safety is weird. While he didn't catch Tavares that bad a) Tavares is one of their franchise players and b) that type of hit I would think they want out of the game. Regardless if Scandella is slashed before, if he takes out Tavares' knee...He's lucky he caught the back of the knee instead of the side...

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know if I've ever seen a GDT stay stickied this long after a game ended.

Don't know what to do with myself.

really-nervous.gif

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
that scandella thread is pretty funny. intent to injure. jesus.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just got frustrated and decided to give him a whack. Completely worthy of a 2 minute penalty; not worthy of any after thought.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
As I said; like the Bouchard issue. Bouchard was getting prodded as well with some stick work. Does it make it ok? No but the Department of Player Safety is weird. While he didn't catch Tavares that bad a) Tavares is one of their franchise players and b) that type of hit I would think they want out of the game. Regardless if Scandella is slashed before, if he takes out Tavares' knee...He's lucky he caught the back of the knee instead of the side...

If they suspend him for that then the NHL needs to go away and another league needs to take it's place. It would be unbelievably asinine.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Scandy won't get suspended for the slash, but he will get time for the hit. He got fined last week for a headshot....he needed to be on his best behavior and failed. Even though it wasn't close to being a very ugly hit, the fact that it's so close to his last incident will bite him in the butt.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Dropping in on your GDT here to wish the best for Ballard. I know the general hockey consensus is that the injury was Ballard's fault but it looked to me that Martin had plenty of time to see Ballard ducking out of the way and he still threw the elbow at Keith's head.

So if it's "clean," it's still chicken ****

Hope Ballard is okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Dropping in on your GDT here to wish the best for Ballard. I know the general hockey consensus is that the injury was Ballard's fault but it looked to me that Martin had plenty of time to see Ballard ducking out of the way and he still threw the elbow at Keith's head.

So if it's "clean," it's still chickensh1t.

Hope Ballard is okay.

Welcome.

HF Boards, and apparently NHL logic dictates that any attempt to avoid injury places the blame on the victim, not the aggressor. We saw it tonite, earlier this season when Brodin pulled up before Kreider slammed him from behind into the boards, we saw it years ago when Bouchard turned at the last minute before Bogosian rammed his head into the runner, and numerous other times.

Bend over boys and take it like men! That's the message.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Welcome.

HF Boards, and apparently NHL logic dictates that any attempt to avoid injury places the blame on the victim, not the aggressor. We saw it tonite, earlier this season when Brodin pulled up before Kreider slammed him from behind into the boards, we saw it years ago when Bouchard turned at the last minute before Bogosian rammed his head into the runner, and numerous other times.

Bend over boys and take it like men! That's the message.

no, bending over is what they did and how they got injured. just saying. I believe "stand up and take it like a man" is the phrase they'd use. Brodin pulled up with the expectation Kreider couldn't hit him, not because he knew Kreider was going to hit him. he wasn't trying to protect himself because he didn't think there was any reason to. without watching a clip i don't remember the circumstances in the Bouchard one, but this seemed a lot faster, and Ballard definitely knew he was going to get hit. he just instinctively tried to get out of the way and chose the wrong course of action.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
also...Brodziak fighting Martin. I'm no longer a proponent for fighting as an attempt to rally a team (in it's staged form), but I do think fighting after a hit (even a good one) where a teammate gets leveled CAN pump up your team or at least keep them from sinking into more of a shell. We had no one you could even loosely describe as muscle dressed tonight, and Martin outclassed everyone he could have "answered to". So Kudos to you Brodziak, for taking one for the team. I said at the time it was either going to be Brodziak or Prosser (if it was anyone), and with Ballard out Prosser didn't seem all that likely.

Yes, at a remove it seems silly and pointless, but when you're on the bench and everyone is in a different place in their heads something like that can pull you together again.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If they suspend him for that then the NHL needs to go away and another league needs to take it's place. It would be unbelievably asinine.

In a perfect world; Tavares and Scandella would both be fined for their stick work. Scandella is lucky he didn't do permanent damage to Tavares knee. From the GIF shown, Scandella went across, he didn't shove it between Tavares' knees to poke check the puck. He swung at his knees and luckily didn't connect. You can see the stick going from the side toward Tavares knees. He caught the back of it and then finally poked check the puck. It was a reckless and dangerous play that has no place in the NHL regardless if Tavares was slashing at Scandella.

It's the same stupid play like Kesler hitting Granlund near the end of the game. Was it reckless? Yes. Was it dirty? Not really. This is the same thing. Is it reckless? Yes. Was it dirty? Not really. But reckless hits like these are some of the more dangerous types.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
also...Brodziak fighting Martin. I'm no longer a proponent for fighting as an attempt to rally a team (in it's staged form), but I do think fighting after a hit (even a good one) where a teammate gets leveled CAN pump up your team or at least keep them from sinking into more of a shell. We had no one you could even loosely describe as muscle dressed tonight, and Martin outclassed everyone he could have "answered to". So Kudos to you Brodziak, for taking one for the team. I said at the time it was either going to be Brodziak or Prosser (if it was anyone), and with Ballard out Prosser didn't seem all that likely.

Yes, at a remove it seems silly and pointless, but when you're on the bench and everyone is in a different place in their heads something like that can pull you together again.

This was one of the more purposeful fights I have seen in a long time, and it is fights like this, that give fighting a place I the NHL. Normally I think it is gratuitous, but Brody gets major props for this one.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
Zucker and Koivu go together like Granlund and Vanek...these are good fits.

I know the Grandlund Parise Vanek line was kinda quiet but clearly groundhound has the skill to get Vanny the puck.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Was listening on the radio and turned it off after their 4th goal. I couldn't believe when I checked back after it was over and the Wild had won. Crazy 3rd period by the look of the boxscore and highlights.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, which goal was Backstrom's fault?

Second goal he was screened and it deflected off ((Martin?)

Third goal Clutterbuck was on top of him with his skate up around his throat.

Fourth someone was in all alone on him.

Forgot the first.

The Isles didn't have many shots but were almost even in scoring chances.

I know it looks bad letting in 4 goals on 14 shots, but sometimes you have to balance that with what happened on the ice. Wild tend to get lots of shots on goal, but they tend to be lower quality ones, I think.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
So, which goal was Backstrom's fault?

Second goal he was screened and it deflected off ((Martin?)

Third goal Clutterbuck was on top of him with his skate up around his throat.

Fourth someone was in all alone on him.

Forgot the first.

The Isles didn't have many shots but were almost even in scoring chances.

I know it looks bad letting in 4 goals on 14 shots, but sometimes you have to balance that with what happened on the ice. Wild tend to get lots of shots on goal, but they tend to be lower quality ones, I think.

We either chip it behind the D at the last second with speed and either beat them to the puck or get there the same time and smash them and start our cycle or carry the puck in the zone and pull it up either at the halfwall or into the corner and then they either cycle it behind the net or get it to the point...that's what i've been noticing...

It's not neccesarily bad, but we get a lot of shots from the perimeter.

The Islanders, at least last night, did a really good job of getting to the slot and piercing our defense when they got a chance.

(The Wild might finally be figuring out that if you're going to dominate the cycle game you gotta get guys to the net to crash and score rebounds and gritty goals)

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
57, im talking about 26 games where maybe 3 have been stellar goaltending, the rest average at best! if you think we've got great goal tending and there are no issues , wonderful.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was disputing that last night's goalie performance was sub-par, not that we don't have goalie uncertainty in general.

Our big problem over the past two years is that we aren't consistent in goal.

Harding is near brilliant or not able to play.

Backstrom is either injured, good but terrible in shootouts, pretty poor, or solid.

Kuemper plays great(though I think his numbers are skewed by some very good D in front of him) or absolutely stinks it up. Trouble with him is that he doesn't just let in one bad goal, but batches of bad goals.

I don't think there is a quick fix available,unless the Wild are willing to let go of some serious talent. Getting someone like Bryz does nothing for me. More of the same of what we have.

Bottom line is that I feel our goaltending is going to be worse than the goaltending we are going to run up against during the playoffs. Quick, Rinne, even Crawford are all significantly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad