Post-Game Talk: 12/7/21 - Panthers @ Blues - 8pm EST - Tale of the Red Cat singing the Blues on the road 4-3 OTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
happened to be perusing team stats just now and surprised to see that montour, hornqvist and joe are the only players with regular minutes who are a minus. i know folks were just talking about montour's advanced stats but i'll be damned if i don't see him on the wrong side of an attacker or doing something dumb every game. what was he doing on that first blues goal? he backed off the shooter and gave him to bob but didn't have the wherewithal to find his check - just glided backwards into him and fell over. ended up essentially a 2v0. what the f***?!

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Does anyone know who won first star of the week?

;)

that's why i was perusing the stats. was wondering how his numbers stack up. gotta say, mcdrai is a phenominal points machine. i mean, there's nobody close to them.

also impressive that we have NOBODY in double-digits goal-wise (nobody in the top 25) and yet lead the lead in points percentage.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
happened to be perusing team stats just now and surprised to see that montour, hornqvist and joe are the only players with regular minutes who are a minus. i know folks were just talking about montour's advanced stats but i'll be damned if i don't see him on the wrong side of an attacker or doing something dumb every game. what was he doing on that first blues goal? he backed off the shooter and gave him to bob but didn't have the wherewithal to find his check - just glided backwards into him and fell over. ended up essentially a 2v0. what the f***?!

Montour went to attack the shooter and had eyes on him. While he had his back turn, the goal scorer undercut him and got inside position so as he drifted back, he had no chance to box him out. That goal isnt on Montour. It's on Connauton for decided to create the odd-man rush in the first place.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

rewatching it a couple of more times from further back and tippet was the reason they sliced up our forecheck and had someone flying down the slot. still, you need layers - mistakes happen.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
rewatching it a couple of more times from further back and tippet was the reason they sliced up our forecheck and had someone flying down the slot. still, you need layers - mistakes happen.
Where was Thornton...? Technically the center should be helping out the Dmen

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Montour went to attack the shooter and had eyes on him. While he had his back turn, the goal scorer undercut him and got inside position so as he drifted back, he had no chance to box him out. That goal isnt on Montour. It's on Connauton for decided to create the odd-man rush in the first place.

he didn't though - he backed off to take away the pass. looks like he had the sense there was another forward backdoor but not the sense to locate them and tie them up. he wasn't so much "undercut" - he fell over brown.

like i said above, i think OT was the primary culprit. cotton at least got the body and forced the pass. there just wasn't enough backpressure.

still, montour was in a position to help out bob and basically did nothing.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Where was Thornton...? Technically the center should be helping out the Dmen

well, it's first guy back. joe was checking (well) on the weak side. he and OT were both coming in late but i think joshua shoulda been OT's guy as the play went away from joe's side. OT should've been with him and in position to defend all the way to the net there, imo.

that said, joe's also a minus right now, too.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It's amazing Barkov could be back tomorrow.

I really thought he could of been out for the year after that hit
Very fortunate that his skate was up off the ice. Just like Lundell the other game, when someone stuck their knee out on him

Reactions: ShootIt

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Montour has been vanilla lately, but he started off the season strong.
If you're talking about his offense, yes.
If you're talking about his defense, it was suspect at the start of the season and has deteriorated to AHL level.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If you're talking about his offense, yes.
If you're talking about his defense, it was suspect at the start of the season and has deteriorated to AHL level.

Please with the hyperbole. He was fine for the first 10 games or so. In fact I remember several comments in the GDTs saying "great defensive play by Montour".

Reactions: 5 Hole

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
921648-captain_marvel_and_billy_batson.jpg

Gudas with Forsling vs without.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
he didn't though - he backed off to take away the pass. looks like he had the sense there was another forward backdoor but not the sense to locate them and tie them up. he wasn't so much "undercut" - he fell over brown.

like i said above, i think OT was the primary culprit. cotton at least got the body and forced the pass. there just wasn't enough backpressure.

still, montour was in a position to help out bob and basically did nothing.
That’s pretty much how I saw it. It was Montour’s positioning at the end of that play that became the problem. Not his fault that he was dealt a shit play, but his play obviously didn’t do anything to stop the shit play.

If he had figured out to get in front of Brown (between passer and Brown), it would have changed the whole play and they probably don’t score. The lane was there for him to do so. The worst position was to be behind big guy Brown and then try to swing around the wrong side of him. No chance, and that’s where he fell over.

Reactions: zeroG

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I mean, the team is scoring quite fine.

But defense has been a bigger weakness.

Didn't say Forsling is better, but Forslings replacement have all been incredibly horrid.

Him back means no Connauton and or Kierstad

Him not injured probably means Carlsson doesn’t get the rhythm to prove that with confidence he belongs, sooooo…

Wouldn’t say they all have been incredibly horrid.

But it’s the way of judging and speaking about the number one team in the league around this board, so I’m not surprised.

Probably why I’m off a bit lately…

Would just like to remind my yearly motto or daily if you want…

Never too high, never too low !

:)

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Him not injured probably means Carlsson doesn’t get the rhythm to prove that with confidence he belongs, sooooo…

Wouldn’t say they all have been incredibly horrid.

But it’s the way of judging and speaking about the number one team in the league around this board, so I’m not surprised.

Probably why I’m off a bit lately…

Would just like to remind my yearly motto or daily if you want…

Never too high, never too low !

:)
The sky is always falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad