Post-Game Talk: 12/5/17 | Hurricanes 0 @ Canucks 3 | Markstrom's first career shutout

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Kind of toyed with the idea of bringing Hansen back as a cheap free agent. Can't believe how ineffective he has been in SJ. Guy was always in tip top shape and never really showed signs of falling off this much. Type of player that may have fit one situation but can't fit another.

If Hansen did come back and fill a role, Canucks sure win the trade.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It'd be nice to see him rebound and a change of scenery might make a difference.

Hansen is about a year younger now than Higgins was when his production fell of the proverbial cliff.
The effects of age hit players at different times, but not everyone is Gordie Howe or Jaromir jagr and it isn't unusual for production to drop markedly as a player hits his early thirties. I'd have guessed he'd have another year or two before that would be a major factor in his career (after all, he's younger than Higgins was, younger than Vanek is and there are certainly other players who remain effective later than age 31) but he's reaching an age at which it is a possibility.

Kind of toyed with the idea of bringing Hansen back as a cheap free agent. Can't believe how ineffective he has been in SJ. Guy was always in tip top shape and never really showed signs of falling off this much. Type of player that may have fit one situation but can't fit another.

Its crazy because Hansen was literally our best two-way forward when healthy last season, playing some of the best hockey of his career. You have to think it's just been a bad fit there.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Well the thing is the OP in that thread actually called it a good trade for us so there's less incentive to rub anything in anyone's face really.

I'm sure one of the avid pro-Benning posters will bump it anyway tho
Better than a rabid anti-Benning, pro tank poster crapping over any Canuck player/prospect in nearly every thread.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
These Hansen yearnings are just nostalgia. He was great here. That seems recent but it ain't. Some of Benning's moves were strategic. Trading Hansen and Burrows took away the well tested options from the Sedin line. It was the end of their era. They became complimentary players, and are mentoring this season.

Markstrom continues to impress. He is handling the starting role like a boss. The team is excelling here, IMO. I credit Cloutier's influence, he is a good coach.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Not for me. Want spots for young players not more 30+. We will have some young players pushing next year. This year has gone pretty well, but this team still needs to keep getting younger.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Not for me. Want spots for young players not more 30+. We will have some young players pushing next year. This year has gone pretty well, but this team still needs to keep getting younger.

Plenty of room for him next year with no Vanek+assuming this is the Sedins last go around

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Plenty of room for him next year with no Vanek+assuming this is the Sedins last go around
Sedins will be back.

Daniel, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldy, Gaunce, Eriksson under contract... on the Wing.
Add Baertschi, Granlund... Pettersson... Or Dalhen.

Rather not revisit Hansen on this roster.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
guddy will get dealt soon

I somehow doubt that just because Utica is pretty much out of D (injuries to everyone except rookies, ECHLers, and Wiercioch). Isn't likely Gudbranson would be dealt until at least 2018... probably close to the deadline. Which means if we want to get decent value for him, he has to be playing.

Plus a seller move while the team is in a playoff spot? Has that ever happened in Canada?!?! I agree that long term its probably better to be sellers this year but odds of that happening drops with every game we win (and i find myself cheering for us to win every game regardless... lol).

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Sometimes you have to look forward and move on from the old players. Virtanen will be a year farther along next year and is a bigger more talented Hansen type player. Not convinced the Sedins wont be brought back for another year if they don't fade away in the 2nd half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad