Post-Game Talk: 12/5/17 | Hurricanes 0 @ Canucks 3 | Markstrom's first career shutout

cc

Feb 28, 2002
If Bo's injury was serious, I'd be tempted to join team tank.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Whats all this about a torn acl for Horvat??? This just aint fare if thats indeed what happend. Dang :(

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I like Greene's comments on Pouliot about how his compete level has improved. It kinda looks like Stecher's compete level has rubbed off on him

To me it almost sounds like he will stay in the lineup when Gudbranson is back... that likely means Hutton becomes #7.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jeez looking at Gaunce's minutes, you'd think Green had that markstrom shutout gaunce goal parlay.

Gaunce is the next contestant to come on down and get the monkey off of his back. He's been playing well, hopefully the goal comes soon. I hope he has an epic celebration when the time finally comes.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Beauty game!
So much fun to be at!

Can't wait to rewatch to hear the commentators take on Virtanen... he was bringing our whole section to the edge of their seats with his rushes...

Congrats to Marky... crowd went nuts.
Crowd was in2 Darling to the greatest degree ive heard over the last 5-6 yrs... comedy. I sat 7 rows behind him for 2 periods... it was entertaining.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Awful first period, then had a solid last 40 minutes to get the win. Carolina is a well-coached team but just have no talent/finish up front.

- Markstrom played well and happy for him to get this 'record' thing off his back. Dumbest thing is that he wasn't even close to the actual record - Don Beaupre played over 150 games before getting a shutout and I don't even know if he's the real record holder.

- Horvat was a horse tonight and the team's best forward. Was a game breaking presence despite average linemates. Huge loss if he's out for any length of time.

- Gaunce carried his line and was the team's 2nd best forward. Winning puck battles all over the ice and playing with an edge. Only player moving his feet in first period. Is in the lineup for keeps at this point as a key player.

- Virtanen also had a good game, if a bit erratic and turnover prone. Positives outweighed the negatives, though, and he had lots of jump and some good chances. He and Gaunce look good together.

- Tanev was massive tonight and Edler very good as well. Carolina barely got a sniff with them on the ice.

- Pouliot was very good and is starting to show some swagger and confidence. Breakout passes were consistently quick and accurate and had one of his better defensive games.

- Gagner made a nice play on the PP on the 2-0 goal but man was he weak otherwise tonight. So easily outmatched in puck battles in his own zone.

- Goldobin looked deadly for 4 seconds tonight on the play where he scored but was otherwise very poor and did nothing to help Horvat who was all over the ice. Needs to find a way to get his feet moving more and inject himself into the offense more consistently.

- Granlund was a bit better tonight than other games recently but was decidedly the 3rd best player on his line.

- Baertschi ... very poor. Showing why he's a complimentary player and nothing more. Looked good as a 3rd wheel on a good line but separated does nothing by himself. 0 points, -6 in his last 6 games. Only 6 SOG in his last 10 games. His ~70 point pace has now dropped to a 49-point pace.

- Hutton looked great in a huge role when Tanev was hurt and is now oddly struggling in a smaller role.

- Vanek is so steezy and hilariously fun to watch. Did he even look at the net after he scored tonight?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Gaunce is the next contestant to come on down and get the monkey off of his back. He's been playing well, hopefully the goal comes soon. I hope he has an epic celebration when the time finally comes.

hqdefault.jpg

My epic celebration.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
To me it almost sounds like he will stay in the lineup when Gudbranson is back... that likely means Hutton becomes #7.

Yeah. I don't know. Its a tough situation because Hutton plays on the left side and he's played his best hockey with Gudbranson so it makes me think they've developed some chemistry. That being said, I'd hate to sit Stecher as I believe his compete level is inspiring to others. It does look like Pouliot is there to stay and seems pretty comfortable on the right side.

Of course, a lot can happen between now and when Gudbranson comes back so we'll see but it looks like it could be a difficult decision for Greene.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Go ahead. Someone will in the next few hours.
Well the thing is the OP in that thread actually called it a good trade for us so there's less incentive to rub anything in anyone's face really.

I'm sure one of the avid pro-Benning posters will bump it anyway tho

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thank God Marky finally got his shutout.....now the negative nellies in the media will have to chew on something else.....too bad Gaunce didn't get off the schneid so the talking heads would have to fixate on something totally different.......said it before to great ridicule, but Pouliot really did look like a young Drew Doughty in tonight's game......Jim Rutherford hasn't made very many mistakes as the Pens GM, but trading Pouliot could be a massive one.

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad