Post-Game Talk: 12/30/17 | Kings 4 @ Canucks 3

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
It's Uncle Gary's version of hockey- profit at all costs and **** the sport, it's history and integrity.

Yup.

The NHL tweeted that Caps goal against us that had too many men on the ice and celebrated it.

League is a f***ing joke. No way do I think they rig games, but no doubt they favorite the bigger market teams.

Pretty sure Kerry Fraser admitted refs do that in an article a few years back.

No way should that goal the Kings got have counted. You guys got f***ed there big time.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
God that game was boring in the third. It was like watching televised "Red Rover" with how much the Canucks had to dump and chase because the neutral zone was perma clogged.

Couldn't get any zone time at all.
Really? The 3rd was the most entertaining part. The first 2 periods were worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Game could have been a blowout. Markstrom did exceptionally well to keep this to 4 goals.

- Stecher-Edler pairing were very solid. Stecher's best game of the season by a wide margin. Goal seemed to give him a big boost in jump and confidence. Skated extremely well.

- other 4 defenders were crap. Pouliot is just junk. Doesn't have a clue what he's doing out there. Hutton has lost the plot in the last couple weeks and is skating terribly. Del Zotto is mediocrity defined. Gudbranson is Gudbranson. Team missed Biega tonight.

- Boeser and Vanek had a couple cute moments but nothing like last game. Gagner was not good.

- Sedins had some good possession shifts but few quality chances. Meh game for them.

- Gaunce-Dowd-Granlund were easily the team's best line and scored 2 of the 3 goals while doing a good job defensively. Dowd is looking a bit better in the past few games.

- literally only noticed Goldobin once positively all night ... when scoring a highlight reel goal. Frustrating player.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really liked Gaunce in the offensive zone tonight. Good work down low on Stecher's goal and then went to the net. Also provided traffic on another near-goal on a point shot that hit the post.

Liked a few of the other usual suspects too - thought Gudbranson, Stecher, Dowd, Chaput, etc were all fine.

Didn't like the rest of the defense or the Sedins. Eriksson was non-existent, too.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Back to the operating table for The Six Million Dollar Man. I noticed him one time in the whole game-- and that was when he got completely lost in his own zone on the third Kings goal. Needs a re-do of his bionics.

Is he the biggest waste of money in the NHL? 37 points in 93 games and not as advertised as a penalty killer, either.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Wouldn't mind seeing Gaunce with the Sedins when Sutter is back.
Why? What would be the purpose of this move? Not saying he cannot score but he has 2 goals in 100 games and both deflected off his body without him seeing. He has played his role pretty good but the Sedins are being used for offense. Ericksson and Gaunce play similar styles except one scores once in a while. Not 6 million worth but still. Dowd actually is good partner as they play similar roles and Dowd is decent passer.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Real good effort by the team. Bounce here or there and they at least get a point. In the end , however, Doughty took the game in hand and pushed LA over the line.

Good

Stecher - one of the best games he's played this season. Played with a real purpose and skated the team out of number of jams in their end. Showed the kind wheels and determination he showed last year.

Dowd - his skating is actually good. Maybe little lacking in other areas but looks like a decent 4th liner who can kill penalties and create the kind of pressure on the puck Green likes. Thought he was best of the bottom end forwards.

Gudbranson - stood up the best, I thought, against the bigger forwards of the Kings. Had to mop up some for Hutton and what did go wrong had most to do with Hutton. Skating better

Boeser - starting to get more attention. Thought he made some good set ups and forced Quick into some good saves. Moved the puck effectively through the neutral zone

Not So Good

Sedins/Eriksson - their shifts killed momentum a lot of the time. Got shoved to the outside most of the time and couldn't get to the net. Over passing on the early power play was brutal. Lot of wasted effort in Eriksson play. Trying but often skating himself out of position or reacting too late.

Pouliot - have to believe he is out if Tanev returns. Still not handling speed to the outside or, in general, playing defense well enough. Needs to somehow pick up step or two in his skating. Right now getting backed in too much and even then still beaten.

Others

Goldobin - beauty of a goal and showed off his nifty stick. Making a better effort to play both ways but still far from a complete NHL player.

Hutton - ok most of the time but got wandering out of position again and continues to demonstrate he does know how to use his body around the net effectively

Vitiranen - had real good second period and did create some offense. However, must show a better ability to convert chances. Comment that he needs to keep his feet moving is a good one IMO.

Gaunce - stick-handling at times was real awkward and at times getting caught on the offensive side of puck battles. OK going straight ahead but lateral movement offensively is very limited. Got to the net to screen which helped and decent on the PK.

Granlund - improved effort. Made a lot of little plays in the neutral ice zone to break up plays and allowed the team to transition to offense. Plays like this and you have some hope that he can game manage the puck well enough to be effective. Skating seems to have picked up and he is more continuously in motion.

Reactions: alternate and cc

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Erikssons dissapearing act is actually staggering. He literally does nothing. What a shame after the good November he had.

As for the game. The team just can't seem to bear down when it matters defensively. Too weak in front of the net.

Reactions: Peen

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
- other 4 defenders were crap. Pouliot is just junk. Doesn't have a clue what he's doing out there.

You can pick any d-man not named Chris, on any given game, and say the same the same thing. They're all just junk depending on which game you just watched. At this point i'm only frustrated by Edler when he plays that bad, because I expect better of him. I have no expectations whatsoever of any other d-man on this team. An entire squad of #5/6/7 defenceman. Stecher's had multiple games this year as bad as Pouliot was tonight.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Stetcher had a big game. Great to see some aggression from our back end. Our defence seems content to just sit at the blue line and either throw shots at the net or cycle. Compare this to 2010 when even Brad f***ing Lukowich was scoring beauties from the slot. Sad stuff.

Gagner has been better the last little bit and it would be nice for him to get some recognition. Boeser - Gagner - Vanek has been good. They weren't as good this game but they still had a few chances and rang a few off the pipes.

I also think the Gaunce - Dowd - Virtanen line has been excellent lately. I notice them on the ice regularly and not in a bad way. Dowd has stopped taking stupid penalties and I've actually liked him since he's settled in. Virtanen has started to show some promise and Gaunce is not only solid but he always seems to be in the mix somehow when there is a scoring chance. He's very comfortable standing in front of the net. I don't think he deserves to have as few points as he does, and I think with the way that line is playing he might pot a few soon.

Hutton has been getting lost a lot again lately. I did like the hit he made on Brown though. I'm not one of those 'we need to be big and tough' guys, but I would like it if our bigger players threw their weight around when they have the chance instead of giving the opponent a little bump. He's 6'2 210 and plays like a cream puff. This actually has a significant effect on the team because it leads managers to overpay to pick up guys like Gudbranson and Sbisa for a little 'grit'.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
You can pick any d-man not named Chris, on any given game, and say the same the same thing. They're all just junk depending on which game you just watched. At this point i'm only frustrated by Edler when he plays that bad, because I expect better of him. I have no expectations whatsoever of any other d-man on this team. An entire squad of #5/6/7 defenceman. Stecher's had multiple games this year as bad as Pouliot was tonight.

One of the best and honest posts I've seen in a GDT all season.

You are absolutely correct when assessing this D core. Filled with 5/6/7 Dmen asked to play waaaaay over their head and skill level because of why...Jim Benning and Trevor Linden.

The real season is about to begin and when we get everybody back from injury, it's not going to mean a piece of racoon s***!

We're a bottom 3 team...again.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Easily Stecher’s best game of the season. Hopefully Pouliot is out next game he was trash, as was Gudbranson.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Game could have been a blowout. Markstrom did exceptionally well to keep this to 4 goals.

- Stecher-Edler pairing were very solid. Stecher's best game of the season by a wide margin. Goal seemed to give him a big boost in jump and confidence. Skated extremely well.

- other 4 defenders were crap. Pouliot is just junk. Doesn't have a clue what he's doing out there. Hutton has lost the plot in the last couple weeks and is skating terribly. Del Zotto is mediocrity defined. Gudbranson is Gudbranson. Team missed Biega tonight.

- Boeser and Vanek had a couple cute moments but nothing like last game. Gagner was not good.

- Sedins had some good possession shifts but few quality chances. Meh game for them.

- Gaunce-Dowd-Granlund were easily the team's best line and scored 2 of the 3 goals while doing a good job defensively. Dowd is looking a bit better in the past few games.

- literally only noticed Goldobin once positively all night ... when scoring a highlight reel goal. Frustrating player.

Agree with all of this. On Reddit people are torching Marky (as usual) but I struggle to see why. He may have allowed 4 and our G have been mediocre for a couple of weeks (having saved our bacon until then) and all of a sudden Miller is remembered as a Vezina-caliber hero and Marky is a sieve. I just don’t get it. He is to blame for zero of the goals and made a lot of saves he had no business making.

Also, Loui Eriksson? What happened? I thought he finally turned a corner here and since he hasn’t been seen..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad