GDT: 12/30/15 - 8:00PM EDT - New York Rangers VS Tampa Bay

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Agreed.

It was already clear in October that Johnson didn't do too much off-season training, yeah yeah he had the wrist thing but he was noticeable slower and much sloppier this year. The injury threw him further off track, don't expect Johnson to have a great year at all.

Love Johnson but he's been playing like crap this season.

Didn't he have that offseason PR crap too with the girl? Not saying that's anything but it's just another example of his offseason this year

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Not one player stood up for Boyle when he got sent into the bench area on a dirty ass hit...friggin bunch of *******. No heart and no grit on this team whatsoever.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Not one player stood up for Boyle when he got sent into the bench area on a dirty ass hit...friggin bunch of *******. No heart and no grit on this team whatsoever.

Yeah, and no one stood up for Bish when Kreider slashed him either, that's also not good.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Montreal on a 6 game losing streak, better help em out and let them win : Tampa
New York on an 8 game losing streak on the road, better help em out and let them win : Tampa

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Montreal on a 6 game losing streak, better help em out and let them win : Tampa
New York on an 8 game losing streak on the road, better help em out and let them win : Tampa
It's what we do I've had it trade coburn get a pick or something! Then get a trade package for stamkos and start retooling this roster for next season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not going to happen with us 3 points out of a playoff spot and 40+ games to go. But a change does need to be made to get us going again.

There was 60+ games at one point, 50+ games, and now 40+, nothing has changed.

Going this direction for the remainder of the season is the definition of insanity, otherwise it's win 2 lose 3, win 1 lose 1 for the next 40 games and then someone will be dumb enough to say "well we only missed the playoffs by 3-5 points, we don't need to change much".

This is a team that should be atop the conference, not trying to squeak into 8th seed. I hope Bishop stops bailing out the team, a message needs to be sent to management because they're clearly not getting it.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It's what we do I've had it trade coburn get a pick or something! Then get a trade package for stamkos and start retooling this roster for next season.

If we make the playoffs and we don't have Coburn, that's plumb ********. He's not the problem. As bad as Sustr was for 25 games and Carle is for all of his life, defense isn't the problem. Sure they aren't great offensively or good, but it's not on them. Or bishop. This relies solely on our lack of a PP and 5v5 scoring. So, what's the problem? Our forwards.

We can mix and match lines all we want, and Cooper has, but they just don't score. There isn't one standout line. Brown carried us for a few games. Brown. Jt f'in Brown. Then Kucherov kept the wheels from falling off in several, outside of that, there hasn't been a bright spot at all. There's minor contributions here and there but nothing like we've seen the last two years and heck, even prior to that. This is bad. This isn't something you fix by unloading everyone. We have the pieces but these guys need SOMETHING said by a players only meeting, from Yzerman, or just make a change.

Sear91

Jun 26, 2007
Tampa
This season really does have a whole different feel to our game and its, clearly, not a good one. I agree with the poster who said that this team feels like 2011-2012 with the three losses, two wins mumbo jumbo we are witnessing now. I agree with Stammer at this point: there IS no consistency to our game, but whose fault is that? I can't definitively say.

Outside of the first five games this year I have never felt comfortable with a lead, and if we were trailing, I felt like watching our boys trying to score that tying goal was like slamming my head against a brick wall, which leads me to my main point: We are NOT a team of grinders and it feels to me like we are being coached as a team of grinders.

Now I will preface this by saying that I like Coop, really I do, but its gotten to the point that his decisions have left the realm of questionable to decisions that are expected, and not in a good way. I am not trying to justify a negatively written panic post, but I will say that I agree wholeheartedly with what Kramerica's point about Cooper's tactical prowess. I feel, for the first time with Coop at the helm, that our players' abilities are being stifled by the strategies we are employing.

So often this year I have seen a dump-and-chase that reminds me of Rick Tocchet, but WHY? We are not a squad with a Ryan Malone, with a Steve Downie, or a Zenon Konopka. I understand that dumping the puck in and utilizing a team's speed and tenacity to establish the forecheck is a necessary part of today's game, but with a roster built as our current squad is, it should not be as prevalent as we have seen. If you only have one of the three players on the forecheck that can win a board battle, why even do it? Why just hand possession over to the other team's defense? We have a ton of speed, but only a limited amount of muscle, so shouldn't the players be focused on hitting the line with speed and not allowing opposing defenses time and space to set up? When is the last time we scored on the rush this year? When is the last time we have seen a dangerous zone entry or an odd-man rush leading to a goal? In my humble opinion, if you have speed to burn and a ton of skill up-front, why limit yourself to a dump-and-chase entry followed by perimeter passing without a dangerous point shot?

With that said, I could simply be delusional or overstating the problem, but nonetheless, it is a problem that I am tired of watching night in and night out. Yes we have been injured, and yes, I understand the need to change up strategies to better fit the players you are given, but when we have a power play that was sitting at 25th, and now, sits at 14th, with a squad that SHOULD be in the top 10 over a consistent timeframe, I want to know why nothing is changing. Finally, we are on an upward trajectory, but I want to not have to worry about differentiating true change from a mere hot streak.

And, now that I see its 4:00 A.M., I'm going to say my rant/rationale is over and its time for bed!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Good point about the dump and chase, forgot to mention that as well, that is a beyond stupid strategy for the team we have.

Jonathan Drouin, 3rd overall Grinder.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Just because Johnson and Drouin are playing like **** doesn't mean they're still injured.... it's called catching up to game speed, how long have they been out?

You expect them to be in mid-season form after missing this many games?

Bingo. Johnson physically looks faster than he has been at least. Not sure about Drouin but I can't instantly conclude he's playing injured still.

The dumping and chasing is happening because our passing is utter **** and also teams are on to a lot of our habits. I don't think Cooper is telling them to do it, but rather they have to keep resorting to it.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow, come on people, this is not the end of the season. Still have the 2nd half of the season to go, and that is when the real hockey season starts. Our special teams have been better, need to fix the 5 on 5 lines, and maybe Coop needs to come up with combos he has not tried yet or go back to the ones from Montreal.

To me, we won the Montreal game, scored the GWG with 5 mins to go, the last goal against was a fluke and should not have counted, and I look at the overall picture of things. Coop should not have changed the lines around.

Have faith my friends, we can turn this around.

Last edited:

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
the-end-Favim.com-369513.gif

Hate to say it, but I almost ready to believe this season is done for us.

ganiseri

Feb 3, 2014
I've been the loyalest european fan past 2 and a half years... last year watched 93 games and i worked whole time. Game started 2am and i woke up to work 7am. Was tired as **** all the time, but almost ****ing always tampa showed me why im fan and continue to wake up in middle of the night to watch games. There was always hustle and they played their hearts out. This season i have watched about 20 games and im in army(games start 2-3am in finland). But honestly now im done with this ****, thei look like they dont care so why would i care to wake up and watch them? I need a break from this for short time just to get my nerves back to normal.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Wow, come on people, this is not the end of the season. Still have the 2nd half of the season to go, and that is when the real hockey season starts. Our special teams have been better, need to fix the 5 on 5 lines, and maybe Coop needs to come up with combos he has not tried yet or go back to the ones from Montreal.

To me, we won the Montreal game, scored the GWG with 5 mins to go, the last goal against was a fluke and should not have counted, and I look at the overall picture of things. Coop should not have changed the lines around.

Have faith my friends, we can turn this around.

Come on guys, we have 70 games to go!

Come on guys, we have 60 games left!

Come on guys, we have 50 games left!

Come on guys, we still have 40 games left!

And around and around and around. Nothing has changed. Nothing. Not a god damn thing. The definition of insanity. You'd think we would try to change a tactical thing, our forecheck, or effort, our tenacity, but no. We're content with doing the same thing over and over again, and look where we are in the standings.

I agree with others' assessment that we haven't used our speed. That's our strength, and instead, we're trying to grind it out. Speed puts fear into an opposing team, and makes them make mistakes. If a forechecker is coming at you full bore, you won't have more time to think about your decision, and are more likely to make the wrong one. We just aren't using what this team is built to ****ing do: fly.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa

Yep. Expecting things to change this season is insanity. Cooper keeps saying we're doing everything right, but the wins aren't coming. The captain has no idea how to lead, on or off the ice, apparently. The team keep saying they're angry, but they're certainly not playing like it. Yzerman has made no changes and doubled-down on Cooper and hired and retained Lauer.

I'm expecting to be way out of the playoffs by the end of January. It's painful to attend games this year. Just painful.

:shakehead

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

And around and around and around. Nothing has changed. Nothing. Not a god damn thing. The definition of insanity. You'd think we would try to change a tactical thing, our forecheck, or effort, our tenacity, but no. We're content with doing the same thing over and over again, and look where we are in the standings.

I agree with others' assessment that we haven't used our speed. That's our strength, and instead, we're trying to grind it out. Speed puts fear into an opposing team, and makes them make mistakes. If a forechecker is coming at you full bore, you won't have more time to think about your decision, and are more likely to make the wrong one. We just aren't using what this team is built to ****ing do: fly.

Pretty much this. I've seen nothing to suggest this team is going to turn it around. It's the same **** over and over. There isn't some magic switch you can just flip to start playing better. They have to earn it and so far this is exactly what they've earned, probably even more because Bishop has carried this team to many wins they didn't deserve.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Agree with all the sentiment on this page and been saying it all year. There is a fundamental problem with our gameplan.

Yes, I have been guilty of sticking up for Stamkos all year when he doesn't deserve it because I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Heres the thing, it's not Stamkos' fault this team is where it is. For as much as he has been absolutely horrible this year, he is still leading the team in production - THAT IS THE PROBLEM. There is no way that a suck ass, clueless Stamkos should be 1st-2nd on the team in production with the talent we have (even with the injuries). He should be 5th-6th max.

That tells me that there is a problem with putting our players in a situation for them to utilize their talents and succeed. Names, Kuch, Stamkos, TyJo, Palat, Drouin, Cally, Flip, Killorn - come on!!!! Most coached would die to have that forward group.

Something is really wrong with the game plan when NOBODY in that group is producing.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Counting last Spring, we're talking 60 or so games now where the Lightning have been thoroughly average, at best. The sample size of this isn't exactly puny anymore.

Now I will preface this by saying that I like Coop, really I do, but its gotten to the point that his decisions have left the realm of questionable to decisions that are expected, and not in a good way. I am not trying to justify a negatively written panic post, but I will say that I agree wholeheartedly with what Kramerica's point about Cooper's tactical prowess. I feel, for the first time with Coop at the helm, that our players' abilities are being stifled by the strategies we are employing.

Everyone's open to their own interpretations, of course, but I'll only point out that, while I'm not immune to panic posts because, hey, I'm only human...if I'm going that far in depth, it's probably not out of panic. That, or I'd be the least resourceful person on earth in times of real crisis. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad