Golf: 119th US Open Championship

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
All the players say great things about Woodland, so I'm sure he's a very nice guy. Congrats to him for winning a major.

Saying that, I think this was easily one of the worst majors from a golf fan's perspective. We haven't had a winner of that caliber since Walker in 2016, the coverage was terrible and the course was incredibly easy.

Nah. It wasn’t great, but let’s cool it on that talk.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Winged Foot should be good if you're one of those who wants above-par winning scores. Less dependent on conditions than courses like Pebble Beach or Erin Hills, for example.

I didn't mind the setup this week. Seems like we keep getting unlucky with the conditions in recent US Opens. If it wasn't so foggy all week they probably would've had a winning score around E to -5. Erin Hills was supposed to be extremely difficult when the wind was blowing... problem is that the week they played the course was apparently one of the few weeks of the year where there was no wind.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Winged Foot should be good if you're one of those who wants above-par winning scores. Less dependent on conditions than courses like Pebble Beach or Erin Hills, for example.

I didn't mind the setup this week. Seems like we keep getting unlucky with the conditions in recent US Opens. If it wasn't so foggy all week they probably would've had a winning score around E to -5. Erin Hills was supposed to be extremely difficult when the wind was blowing... problem is that the week they played the course was apparently one of the few weeks of the year where there was no wind.

Pebble Beach is similar to St. Andrews. Historic course that is known for its views, but the course can play incredibly easy without weather conditions effecting it, and its not among the better courses in the rotation due to the length of it.

Winged Foot is as brutal of a course as there is. I don't know how anyone could possibly shoot more than a few under. If they do, it'll be like Tiger in 2000 at Pebble Beach where one of the best players is on their A game.

It's such a hard test, and penalizes you for being out of position. There's very little let up from the start to finish. The rough is almost a full stroke penalty, but what's toughest about the course is that you have to put the ball in the right place on the approach, otherwise you'll do well to make par, whether on the green or not. It's also not easy to do that because the greens slope a lot and have weird shapes. There's an area you can miss on a few of the holes and get away with it. On most of the other holes, you have to hit your line or not miss it by much.

The course is predictable, its just very hard, and you can shoot a really high score if you aren't playing well. I suspect the winner next year will be accurate off the tee, and will be hitting their line on their approaches most of their shots. You don't have to try to hit it to tap in range, you just have to be hitting a circle in a section of the green where you can have a run at birdie, and make par if it doesn't go in. I don't think someone can play how Rose played in this tournament, and win at Winged Foot.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I am also in the camp of wanting to see some suffering.

BUT...I completely understand that the weather was very good, and that the course particularly relies on the weather/wind to give it some bite, so that's the main reason [the other reason is that the USGA heard all the whinging from the past few opens and erred on the side of easy-a good example of that was where Koepka was after his 3rd shot on 14 yesterday-that ball might have been OB in previous Pebble Opens]

if you play like Rose did next year at Winged Foot [he was living in the greenside bunkers] you might not make the cut, let alone be in contention.

in the end, no big deal for me, I enjoyed the tourny, just like a little carnage w/ my US Opens.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00