Golf: 116th United States Open Championship: June 16-19. Oakmont.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Rooting for Phil to finally get the monkey off his back, as per usual.

TV broadcast schedule (all times EDT):

First (6/16) and Second (6/17) Rounds: 10:00AM-5:00PM Fox Sports 1, 5:00PM-8:00PM Fox
Third Round (6/18): 11:00AM-7:00 PM EDT Fox
Final Round (6/19): 11:00AM-7:30 PM EDT Fox
Playoff (6/20 if necessary): 12:00 PM EDT Fox

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Yeah count me in the camp of those who don't want to see +6 or higher with the win. When a par feels like a birdie, that's not entertaining.

Really have no idea who to expect to win since a couple bounces can be the difference in 2 or 3 extra strokes and a missed cut.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Oh, I get that it is the same course for everyone (I also play to a low handicap), but I just do not find it entertaining to watch them have to play completely defensive for fear of hitting it in the rough, or the wrong side of the hole. Some like watching them make bogey after bogey, I do not think the general public does think that though (at least I do not - I want to see the chance for someone to catch up). When a course is so hard, and you are a shot or 2 down, it becomes a defensive battle for 2'nd or 3'rd for fear of dropping, not a battle for 1'st. The US Open used to be my favourite major because it was hard but still fair; now it has turned into "Let's make the course as hard as possible" type tourney. Pebble Beach sets up well for a nice mix, The British sets up for a nice mix, The Masters is getting a bit too much as well (though not like this), Sawgrass has a nice mix and the PGA Championship (to me) is just kinda strange as it is just usually so long and a bit of a bore) but this course is just 'over the top'.

Again, things like The John Deere Classic, where they shoot 25 under are not very entertaining as well, but a balance is needed, and this is too far the other way (though I will turn it on and watch for a bit here and there).

Yeah, that's fair. I understand what you're saying, I just think we have slightly different tastes :)

I'm looking forward to it. I hope somebody comes out of nowhere and competes. I don't have anything against Johnson, Speith, Day etc. but I like to see new guys break through.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah count me in the camp of those who don't want to see +6 or higher with the win. When a par feels like a birdie, that's not entertaining.

Really have no idea who to expect to win since a couple bounces can be the difference in 2 or 3 extra strokes and a missed cut.

Good news, the best players are also best at bounces and saves..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Andrew Landry wins this thing..........

I had no clue who this guy was. He's not even an amateur where there would be good reason not to know who he is. He's a mediocre professional.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Play should resume in around 20 minutes, but it might still rain some more later. So far both weather delays they've vastly underestimated the time the delay would be. The late wave might only finish a few holes today.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Spieth can react however he wants. Who cares? Showing personality like he does is only good for the game.

Blame yourself instead of saying it's "crap" then.

You could see the ridiculous spin he had on that wedge. Let's not pretend the course is unfair or that that's the place where you should be putting that type of spin on the ball. Front hole locations on 17 guard against that.

Last edited:

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Is bad weather going to ruin the whole tournament?
After today its supposed to be gorgeous the rest of he weekend with dry conditions. Hopefully today is the last day we see -5's! :laugh:

Landry will be a non-factor soon enough.

And I agree, J.Speith needs to keep his emotions in check. I don't mind it,, in fact I love golfers that show emotion, but I would hate to see it ruin his game......patience is a virtue at Oakmont.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
You guys worried about Spieth showing emotion must be new PGA fans because he's always been like that, he's known for showing a lot of emotion and it seems to be working out alright for him up until now. A couple bad showings doesn't mean he should change his whole mindset get real guys.

Blame yourself instead of saying it's "crap" then.

You could see the ridiculous spin he had on that wedge. Let's not pretend the course is unfair or that that's the place where you should be putting that type of spin on the ball. Front hole locations on 17 guard against that.

Where did you see Spieth blaming the course? He was obviously mad at himself...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad