Golf: 116th United States Open Championship: June 16-19. Oakmont.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This year is Oakmont Country Club located in Plum, Pennsylvania.

The defending champion is Jordan Spieth. He won last year with a 275 score of -5 becoming the youngest winner of the US Open at age 21 since Bobby Jones in 1923. :)

Here are highlights of last year. If you are a Dustin Johnson fan, this might be hard to watch.

The last time the US Open was held at Oakmont was in 2007. Angel Cabrera won with a 285 score of +5 becoming the first man from Argentina to win the US Open.

Previous winners of the US Open at Oakmont include Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, Johnny Miller, Larry Nelson and Ernie Els. 7 of the 8 US Open winners at Oakmont are multi time major winners.

Here are some quotes about the course. http://www.liquisearch.com/oakmont_country_club/quotes_from_notable_golfers

USGA Sr. Director of Rules and Competitions Mike Davis: "There's a reason coming back to Oakmont. This really is the gold standard for championship golf. It doesn't get any better than Oakmont."
Lee Trevino: “There's only one course in the country where you could step out right now — right now — and play the U.S. Open, and that's Oakmont.”
Phil Mickelson: "It's really a neat, special place."
Johnny Miller: "It's probably the best course in the world . . . This is the greatest course I've ever played."
On Oakmont's greens:

Tiger Woods:"That golf course is going to be one of the toughest tests that we've ever played in a U.S. Open, especially if it's dry, it will be unreal because those greens are so severe."
Arnold Palmer: "You can hit 72 greens in the Open at Oakmont and not come close to winning."
Rocco Mediate said of the greens that they are "almost impossible"
Sam Snead once commented that he tried to mark his ball on one of Oakmont's greens but the coin slid off.
Lee Trevino claimed every time he two-putted at Oakmont he knew he was passing somebody on the leader board.
Johnny Miller said that Oakmont's are the greatest set of greens for testing a player's ability to putt.
USGA Sr. Director Mike Davis: " scariest in golf."

Notable Tee Times and Pairings, via Golf Channel. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/marquee-groupings-116th-us-open-oakmont/

Defending U.S. Open champion Jordan Spieth will play alongside reigning Open champion Zach Johnson and U.S. Amateur champion Bryson DeChambeau in the first two rounds of the U.S. Open.

The event begins Thursday at Oakmont Country Club in Oakmont, Pa. Here's a look at some of the marquee groupings. (Click here for full tee times)

(All times ET)

8:24 a.m. Thursday (No. 1)/2:09 p.m. Friday (No. 10): Rory McIlroy, Danny Willett, Rickie Fowler

World No. 3 and 2011 U.S. Open winner McIlroy will go out alongside the current Masters champion, in Willett. Fowler has missed the cut in three of his last five starts, including the Masters, The Players Championship and the Memorial Tournament.

8:35 a.m. Thursday (No. 10)/2:20 p.m. Friday (No. 1): Jordan Spieth, Zach Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau

Spieth claimed his second consecutive major a year ago at Chambers Bay and it was Johnson who ended his Grand Slam bid at St. Andrews. DeChambeau played alongside Spieth in the first two rounds at this year's Masters, shooting 72-72 on his way to a tie for 21st.

1:36 p.m. Thursday (No. 1)/7:51 a.m. Friday (No. 10): Dustin Johnson, Hideki Matsuyama, Sergio Garcia

Johnson three-putted the final green a year ago at the U.S. Open to lose by one. All three men in this group are seeking their first major title. Garcia has nine top-5 finishes in majors without a victory.

2:09 p.m. Thursday (No. 10)/8:24 a.m. Friday (No. 1): Phil Mickelson, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson

Mickelson has finished runner-up six times in the U.S. Open. It's the only major he has never won. Rose claimed victory in this event in 2013 at Merion. Stenson is still seeking major No. 1.

2:20 p.m. Thursday (No. 1)/8:35 a.m. Friday (No. 10): Jason Day, Louis Oosthuizen, Adam Scott

Day, the current world No. 1, broke through at the PGA Championship last year and added a Players title to his resume this year. He's out with fellow Aussie Scott and Oosthuizen, who was a co-runner-up at Chambers Bay last year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Those videos are hard to watch because of FOX. Just truly awful, really hope they have improved their golf broadcasting.

They got rid of Norman, and replaced him with Azinger.

They also added Curtis Strange.

Besides that, seems like almost the same broadcasters.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I've been incredibly hyped since i saw the commercial for it. hoping my boy 2peats, really wanna see DJ pull one through this year though.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Anyone see the Justin Thomas video about the rough on 17th? Over may win this event again.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone see the Justin Thomas video about the rough on 17th? Over may win this event again.

I saw it.

I think thats an understatement. I think it could be close to +10. +5 won the last time the US Open was at Oakmont. The greens are even more difficult than the rough. Its a brutal course.

Last edited:

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I saw it.

I think thats an understatement. I think it could be close to +10. The greens are even more difficult than the rough. Its a brutal course.

Yeah I saw the the post Fowler did also, your putting on glass. those greens are fast. gonna be good seeing professionals looking like us on our best days.

Jan 3, 2012
It's gunna be good, watching the scores balloon.

I wonder how many of the nobodies who got in on Monday qualifying are going to shoot two rounds over 100 to miss the cut.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Still just a damn shame what happened at the Masters. It's always fun when a big player wins the Masters because you can dream about a Grand Slam chance.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
While I like the pro's being challenged (and also do not enjoy 20 under par tourney's), IMO, the US Open has gone too far. I like to see a challenge, but not what seems like 'trench warfare' to me. It becomes too technical without any creativity of shots.

Jan 3, 2012
While I like the pro's being challenged (and also do not enjoy 20 under par tourney's), IMO, the US Open has gone too far. I like to see a challenge, but not what seems like 'trench warfare' to me. It becomes too technical without any creativity of shots.

Oakmont allows plenty of creativity.

Especially when you have greens where it might be better to miss and get up and down then try and 2 putt some flags

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I like watching them play a really difficult course. It's a little annoying that so many PGA pros are complaining about the difficulty of the course. You're supposed to be the best in the world, prove it. It's not like you have to hit a certain score to win. If you're at 5 over after Sunday, and everyone else is higher than 6 over, you still win. You don't have to beat the course record to win, just do better than everyone else, and everyone else is playing the same course.

EDIT TO ADD: As a 3 handicap, I would struggle to break 130 on this setup. I'm not saying it should be a breeze because they're the best in the world, but it's fair because everyone is playing the same course.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I like watching them play a really difficult course. It's a little annoying that so many PGA pros are complaining about the difficulty of the course. You're supposed to be the best in the world, prove it. It's not like you have to hit a certain score to win. If you're at 5 over after Sunday, and everyone else is higher than 6 over, you still win. You don't have to beat the course record to win, just do better than everyone else, and everyone else is playing the same course.

EDIT TO ADD: As a 3 handicap, I would struggle to break 130 on this setup. I'm not saying it should be a breeze because they're the best in the world, but it's fair because everyone is playing the same course.

Oh, I get that it is the same course for everyone (I also play to a low handicap), but I just do not find it entertaining to watch them have to play completely defensive for fear of hitting it in the rough, or the wrong side of the hole. Some like watching them make bogey after bogey, I do not think the general public does think that though (at least I do not - I want to see the chance for someone to catch up). When a course is so hard, and you are a shot or 2 down, it becomes a defensive battle for 2'nd or 3'rd for fear of dropping, not a battle for 1'st. The US Open used to be my favourite major because it was hard but still fair; now it has turned into "Let's make the course as hard as possible" type tourney. Pebble Beach sets up well for a nice mix, The British sets up for a nice mix, The Masters is getting a bit too much as well (though not like this), Sawgrass has a nice mix and the PGA Championship (to me) is just kinda strange as it is just usually so long and a bit of a bore) but this course is just 'over the top'.

Again, things like The John Deere Classic, where they shoot 25 under are not very entertaining as well, but a balance is needed, and this is too far the other way (though I will turn it on and watch for a bit here and there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad