Prospect Info: #114 - Redmond Savage (C/LW)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Anyone have a good scouting report for this guy? Cant say I paid much attention to him this year. Sounds like a Glendening type from what I can gather? Not a lot of offense but does a lot of other things really well. A bit of a physical game but not a bruiser?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anyone have a good scouting report for this guy? Cant say I paid much attention to him this year. Sounds like a Glendening type from what I can gather? Not a lot of offense but does a lot of other things really well. A bit of a physical game but not a bruiser?

Probably will be hated player, when he does "glendenings" and Blashill will use him 15min per game on the 3rd line.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Has anyone watched this kid this season? I haven't caught a second of MSU hockey, but I'd be interested to know what Spartan fans think. I always liked his game, and now his offensive production has taken a big leap since his transfer. What's the eye test say?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Has anyone watched this kid this season? I haven't caught a second of MSU hockey, but I'd be interested to know what Spartan fans think. I always liked his game, and now his offensive production has taken a big leap since his transfer. What's the eye test say?
if you have twitter, follow red wings prospects. Has a clip of every goal/assist of the prospects and let's you know who is playing that day and where (red wings prospects only). More emphasis on GR and SHL it seems, but does show augustine highlights and I have seen a couple savage ones. I don't actively watch, so not going to say what he looks like out there. But he is definitely producing.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

You will be happy to hear that he's got big Luke Glendening energy. Outside chance of him becoming another Casey Cizikas.

He looks like a dog chasing a bone out there. I love the energy he plays with and shows some physicality, too. Probably nothing more than a 4th line center/winger, but teams need good 4th liners, too.

Reactions: SantosHalper

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You will be happy to hear that he's got big Luke Glendening energy. Outside chance of him becoming another Casey Cizikas.

He looks like a dog chasing a bone out there. I love the energy he plays with and shows some physicality, too. Probably nothing more than a 4th line center/winger, but teams need good 4th liners, too.
Yeah, I watched him in the WJCs and a couple Miami games in the past, I love his energy and play in the defensive zone. I don't expect that has changed at MSU, but I'm curious how the offense has looked. I've only ever seen him deployed in a shutdown-type role, so curious how he looks in the top-6 being leaned on for offense. If it's legit, that will go a long way towards his NHL prospects, as even NHL 4th-liners typically showed offense at lower levels.

Fun fact.... he's our only prospect who's averaging over a point per game so far this season.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, I watched him in the WJCs and a couple Miami games in the past, I love his energy and play in the defensive zone. I don't expect that has changed at MSU, but I'm curious how the offense has looked. I've only ever seen him deployed in a shutdown-type role, so curious how he looks in the top-6 being leaned on for offense. If it's legit, that will go a long way towards his NHL prospects, as even NHL 4th-liners typically showed offense at lower levels.

Fun fact.... he's out only prospect who's averaging over a point per game so far this season.

The offense has looked good but it's generated no different than it was in Miami or with the NTDP. Savage is getting his chances from outworking the opponents and by causing the defense to make mistakes while he's forechecking. The best way I can describe it is capitalistic, or "grinder offense". The skill level looks like it will be good enough to play in the bottom 6 of an NHL squad.

It may take 3 years or more, but I think we've got a player in Savage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad