Prospect Info: #114 - Redmond Savage (C/LW)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You guys got great value in the fourth round. Savage should’ve went late 2/early 3.

He’s a very good defensive center. Great on face offs, probably the best defensive forward in his NTDP age group. He’ll be a main PK’er on any team he plays for. He also has enough skill and can skate. He’s capable of keeping up with skill players. I wouldn’t be shocked if he could top out as a 3C, and I don’t see much chance he’s not a 4C. One of the safest picks in the draft. He’ll play in the NHL.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Seems like a great kid, cool name, good skill.
Found this video where he gets interviewed and breaks down some of his game. It's 42 min but seems like a good watch.

Shift by shift vid:

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I like this pick. Could be a something.

How does his skating grade out?

I’ve seen him characterized as a plus skater.

A lot of how he reads shares a lot in common with Glendening. Good skater, dominant face off guy, relishes matching up against the opponents best, first guy over the boards for a PK, relentless on the forecheck.

The element that I think is intriguing is that he clearly has more skill working in his favor offensively. Knowing the Wings history of slotting Glendening or Helm up a line to serve as a spark plug…Savage could be a really nice fit.

The name that comes to mind stylistically would be like a Yanni Gourde maybe? Again, that’s 100% based on just reading up on him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
In keep with the nicknames '21 Draft/offseason

Brian Savage, former NHL'er or Randy Macho Man....I'm picking Randy MM

Or ..."Mickey Jr."

A Sea Bass & a Macho Man Savage, we're livin' right.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Echoing a lot of what's been said- Savage has had a nice year with the NTDP. Strikes me as a mature kid for sure. I think he's a very solid bet to play bottom 6C and PK minutes.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Yes, This is a Red Wings-type of player from all the info I have gathered in regards to him.
Tried picking him in all my fantasy leagues.
Bottom to middle six forward, the defensive is there, the question is how much offense will there be.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like this pick. Could be a something.

How does his skating grade out?

He is a guy I have heard mixed things on, some like it some don't. I think his skating is pretty average, but it should be able to get better as he gets stronger. He has a good stride, he plays fast enough in junior level because he anticipates the play well. He makes smart little plays to enter and exit zones. I just think he is a solid trustworthy type. Intriguing to me is that because of his family ties to Miami he is a guy that will get to develop likely as their front line player. You would probably be more likely to see him as a #2 or even #3 at first kind of center if he went to one of the more glamour program. We will have to see if that matters, but I think that is going to help his offense. I like him and we have plenty of runway with him going the college. I think if he can find a little more power in his stride while he is there it will help him a lot.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’ve seen him characterized as a plus skater.

A lot of how he reads shares a lot in common with Glendening. Good skater, dominant face off guy, relishes matching up against the opponents best, first guy over the boards for a PK, relentless on the forecheck.

The element that I think is intriguing is that he clearly has more skill working in his favor offensively. Knowing the Wings history of slotting Glendening or Helm up a line to serve as a spark plug…Savage could be a really nice fit.

The name that comes to mind stylistically would be like a Yanni Gourde maybe? Again, that’s 100% based on just reading up on him.
He is a guy I have heard mixed things on, some like it some don't. I think his skating is pretty average, but it should be able to get better as he gets stronger. He has a good stride, he plays fast enough in junior level because he anticipates the play well. He makes smart little plays to enter and exit zones. I just think he is a solid trustworthy type. Intriguing to me is that because of his family ties to Miami he is a guy that will get to develop likely as their front line player. You would probably be more likely to see him as a #2 or even #3 at first center if he went to one of the more glamour program. We will have to see if that matters, but I think that is going to help his offense. I like him and we have plenty of runway with him going the college. I think if he can find a little more power in his stride while he is there it will help him a lot.

Looking at the clips and reading whatever I can dig up on him that's kind of the vibe I get. Maybe not Yanni Gourde but he looks disruptive on the ice; Savage gets on top of the other team on the forecheck and plays with a lot of tenacity and like TZE says he has really good anticipation of the play. I don't know if the offense is going to come at the next level but you can see the makings of a potentially solid bottom 6 type here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad