Prospect Info: 111th Overall (4th Round) Jeremy Swayman (G)

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I fully expect Rask to be back next season and probably the one after that. The big question to me is what do they do with Jaro? Do they protect Vladar while Tuuka remains unsigned, then promote him to the backup role and let Halak go or do they try to get Jaro back for one more season? Could it be Swayman that steps into that backup role next season? Could be real interesting to see what transpires.

Management has made some questionable moves, but have to think they don't want to lose the players they've spent time developing just to keep an aging back up. I like Jaro, and he's served his time, but I think his contract was set to expire this season for that reason.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Management has made some questionable moves, but have to think they don't want to lose the players they've spent time developing just to keep an aging back up. I like Jaro, and he's served his time, but I think his contract was set to expire this season for that reason.

That is what I suspect too, but I guess it comes down to whether they think one of Vladar or Swayman is ready to step in next season. If they extended Jaro and protected Vladar, they would have another season of development, so they wouldnt be losing anyone.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That is what I suspect too, but I guess it comes down to whether they think one of Vladar or Swayman is ready to step in next season. If they extended Jaro and protected Vladar, they would have another season of development, so they wouldnt be losing anyone.
Vladar needs waivers next season. You think he would make it through?

I don't and they wont carry 3 goalies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Vladar needs waivers next season. You think he would make it through?

I don't and they wont carry 3 goalies.

What if he starts the season in Providence? Does he still requires waivers then? Is it just an automatic thing when a player is under NHL contract regardless of where they are assigned?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What if he starts the season in Providence? Does he still requires waivers then? Is it just an automatic thing when a player is under NHL contract regardless of where they are assigned?
Swayman, which is what this thread is geared toward, is on an ELC.... Vladar has passed the "prospect" designation if he's now in year 5

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Swayman, which is what this thread is geared toward, is on an ELC.... Vladar has passed the "prospect" designation if he's now in year 5

I know this, Hutch, no need for you to police the thread. Swayman is a goalie prospect, and the discussion is about what the Bruins do in goal going forward as it directly affects the prospects. If Vladar becomes the backup next season, then Swayman most likely becomes the workhorse in Providence. I will also disagree with you on the prospect designation- goalies are not measured the same way as skaters in that regard.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't understand your question.

Next September or whenever the season starts, he is a Boston Bruin. Period. If the want him somewhere else, it requires waivers .

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't understand your question.

Next September or whenever the season starts, he is a Boston Bruin. Period. If the want him somewhere else, it requires waivers .

what I am asking is : if he starts the season in camp with Providence and is never called up to the big club and is thus not sent down, is he still subject to a waiver claim? I think I understand that he starts camp in Boston, he would pass through waivers to get sent to the AHL. If the Bruins felt he was not ready to back up Rask and extended Jaro a year,say, they could avoid Vladar being claimed by never putting him on the Boston roster. Correct?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
what I am asking is : if he starts the season in camp with Providence and is never called up to the big club and is thus not sent down, is he still subject to a waiver claim? I think I understand that he starts camp in Boston, he would pass through waivers to get sent to the AHL. If the Bruins felt he was not ready to back up Rask and extended Jaro a year,say, they could avoid Vladar being claimed by never putting him on the Boston roster. Correct?

As I said. Vladar begins next season on the Boston roster. The only way he gets to Providence is if he is loaned, and in next year's case, would need waivers.

Just like this season and the season before, he began on the Boston roster and was sent down but did not require waivers.

Every player that has an NHL contract starts in Boston and then is sent down.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As I said. Vladar begins next season on the Boston roster. The only way he gets to Providence is if he is loaned, and in next year's case, would need waivers.

Just like this season and the season before, he began on the Boston roster and was sent down but did not require waivers.

Every player that has an NHL contract starts in Boston and then is sent down.

Okay, that was the essence of my question and answers a mechanic that I was not clear about. Thanks as always, Dom.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
this guy is destroying the ahl? i only see the stats. but he is 5-0 with a real nice GAA and save percentage. what an exciting goaltending prospect.

Reactions: TCB

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Aaand a shutout today.

6 gp, 6 wins, .945 sv %, 1 shutout

Rask is now 34 and sporting a 906 sv % this season.

At this rate they may need to bring swayman to the NHL next season :nod: (for nhl backup experience)

Reactions: TCB

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Aaand a shutout today.

6 gp, 6 wins, .945 sv %, 1 shutout

Rask is now 34 and sporting a 906 sv % this season.

At this rate they may need to bring swayman to the NHL next season :nod: (for nhl backup experience)
2023-24.... it won't be next season....which essentially is this fall

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
sometimes it takes 2, 3, or 4, years.... isn't Vladar in his fifth season?

Vladar started as an 18 year old in the AHL/ECHL. Swayman is 22.

Swayman also dominated ncaa hockey and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of agreement to give him an opportunity at some point to get him signed as opposed to him going to free agency and the Bruins losing the asset for nothing.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Vladar started as an 18 year old in the AHL/ECHL. Swayman is 22.

Swayman also dominated ncaa hockey and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of agreement to give him an opportunity at some point to get him signed as opposed to him going to free agency and the Bruins losing the asset for nothing.
THE point is... Swayman's going to likely be in Providence at minimum 2 years.... Vladar would be the one on the main roster.... just as he was Tuesday... on the Island.... as Halak's 1B ... THE Question is is Vladar a 1A?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’m all in on this kid. Watched him when he played against UMass a few times.

I can envision him backing up a re-signed Rask next year.

My daughter took the pic. I just sat there and watched him.

79860BD3-C883-4B23-A56A-956DF0BEF691.jpeg

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Love that picture. I actually can envision him in a Bruin Uni with the same pose. lol

For many years !
Looks good enough for a look any ways. I’d love to watch him play.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I try not to go down the prospect hype rabbit hole too often but I am starting to salivate about this kid's potential.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
■ Swayman (G) — “[Goalie coach] Bob Essensa really liked him. Most of our staff was on board with the goalie. We targeted another goalie but he went before our pick.â€

Forward Jack Studnicka headlines Bruins’ Day 2 draft picks - The Boston Globe

I always remembered this quote after the draft. It's such a dick thing to say when you just drafted the guy, basically "He was our second choice". I bet they're happy the other guy was picked! The goalie who went the pick right before him struggled in the ECHL this year. It would be hilarious if the Leafs did the Bruins another huge favor and set us up for another +10 years of great goaltending.

Reactions: Fopppa

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5