Prospect Info: 111th Overall (4th Round) Jeremy Swayman (G)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=269688

Swayman_web.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Probably goes the McIntyre route spending 4 years in college, comes out and plays in the AHL 2-3 years.

Adding another goaltender alongside Vlader as the next wave of goaltender prospects is a smart move considering the previous wave seems to close to expiration. Subban's future in Boston is uncertain (may not be qualified). I like McIntyre but he's 25 in August, he's likely pegged to spend another year in the AHL, who knows if they will ever feel comfortable handing him the back-up reigns full time.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
■ Swayman (G) — “[Goalie coach] Bob Essensa really liked him. Most of our staff was on board with the goalie. We targeted another goalie but he went before our pick.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...o-nhl-draft/uz7ZLghFGI3oI3V1HecToO/story.html

I don't like the statement that they were targeting another goalie.

No doubt it's true, but it's not something you say.

"Well he wasn't our FIRST choice, that's for sure. But this guy over here seems to think he's good, so..."

Minor quibble, but sounds like a put down.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's going to be going to school right down the road from me. Hope to catch a game or two and see him play ( if he gets a chance to start his freshman year ).

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Luukonnen was picked by BUF right after our pick in the 2nd round.
Studnika could of easily been had in the 3rd round.

Stupid pick by Sweeney and company.

Seems like these guys just drag this out slowwwlllyyyy in order to keep a paycheck.

Where's the win now attitude?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Luukonnen was picked by BUF right after our pick in the 2nd round.
Studnika could of easily been had in the 3rd round.

Stupid pick by Sweeney and company.

Seems like these guys just drag this out slowwwlllyyyy in order to keep a paycheck.

Where's the win now attitude?

We didn't have a 3rd round pick, and I am not sure Studnicka would have been there anyway. Looking at Studnicka's numbers, size and skill profile, he looks like a high second or even late first. Don't see why he is below Morgan Frost.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

"Well he wasn't our FIRST choice, that's for sure. But this guy over here seems to think he's good, so..."

Yeah and the "most of our staff was on board with the goalie"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

was thinking the same thing as I was reading an article this morning. Nothing says "Welcome to Boston" like knowing you weren`t the first choice

Anyways, hopefully the kid uses that as motivation to show em:yo:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

People see/hear what they want to.

Another way of perceiving what he said was, "He was the 2nd highest rated goalie on our list."

Last year Gretzky said Frederic was a checking C. If Swayman has the same kind of year Frederic did, I will be pretty damn happy :laugh:

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
I like the pick. Maine has done well in the past producing nhl goalies and plus we will see a lot of him here in the east for some good couch scouting .

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I think they were looking at drafting 2 goalies

Yeah and the "most of our staff was on board with the goalie"

Of course most of the staff were on board, or they never would have drafted him. There is rarely a consensus among a team's staff. It's never unanimous unless you are talking generational talent. Can you imagine how divided the Devils' group was?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
People see/hear what they want to.

Another way of perceiving what he said was, "He was the 2nd highest rated goalie on our list."

Last year Gretzky said Frederic was a checking C. If Swayman has the same kind of year Frederic did, I will be pretty damn happy :laugh:

This is actually the kind of thing I'm referencing. Frederic... Ah not a top six kinda forward. Instead of saying we think his floor is higher than anyone who was drafted around him.

We had Swagman rated way better than almost all of the other goaltenders who went before him in the draft.

There's just better ways to word things. It's a minor issue... On the whole, I don't have a lot of complaints about how Sweeney and his boys have picked in his three drafts.

I think they were looking at drafting 2 goalies

This actually makes more sense to me. Although it takes you probably two seconds to word the intention with far more clarity. Takes any kind of potential for negative interpretation and bins it.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site

Odd quote as the Herald states, "“We’re really excited about (Swayman), Bob Essensa (the B’s goalie coach) really liked and scouted him. Most of our staff was on board. We had targeted another goalie, but he went before our sixth pick,” said assistant general manager Scott Bradley."

Meaning Ferguson?

Last edited:

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
This is actually the kind of thing I'm referencing. Frederic... Ah not a top six kinda forward. Instead of saying we think his floor is higher than anyone who was drafted around him.

We had Swagman rated way better than almost all of the other goaltenders who went before him in the draft.

There's just better ways to word things. It's a minor issue... On the whole, I don't have a lot of complaints about how Sweeney and his boys have picked in his three drafts.

This actually makes more sense to me. Although it takes you probably two seconds to word the intention with far more clarity. Takes any kind of potential for negative interpretation and bins it.

I agree totally with your interpretation. I feel in Sweeney's position you need to be really careful in your wording of players. As what you say or what you meant to say, isn't always what someone else may hear or interprets it as.

Reactions: TCB

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
The comments KPD quotes are actually from Bradley. It is stupid that for 2 years in a row the head of the Bruins drafting contingent is not more careful with his choice of words.

I think this is the first time they referenced Essensa when drafting a goalie. It sounds like he thought Swayman was the best goalie in this draft and while most of the scouting group agreed there might have been some dissension. Disagreement is normal.

I read they had a 2nd interview with Oettinger. If they valued someone higher than Swayman (maybe the collective view) and he was taken, they went by their draft board and took their BPA at 53 thinking their preferred goalie should be available in the 4th round. This is just speculation though.

I think we would all be bi***ing if they picked a goalie at 18 as a reach. Goalies seem to be the hardest to evaluate. A lot of public draft lists had Primeau as 3rd to 7th best goalie and he dropped to the 7th round as the last goalie taken. Rasmussen who went to the combine and impressed physically wasn't even drafted. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad