GDT: #11 Coyotes @ Sharks - Chalkboard Edition - 1:00 PM PST

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Don't expect everyone to share your experiences. I've never heard of nor seen that movie. A quick Google search lead me to Urban dictionary, which I believed would be a derivative of your reference, wherever it's origin lie even though I doubted that's what you really meant.

Get over yourself :)
Yeah but even the UD definition sourced Crank. ;)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seems like Burnzie is taking over Jumbo's mantle as team shirtless interviewee.

Screenshot2013-02-09at82615PM_zpsc3c77733.png

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nah. Clowe gets his 1st goal against the BJ's. We are going to win 6-1. SNOG'ing it right now.

Positive thinking guys .. come on now!!

I actually do believe Clowe will score next game. If he can play the rest of the season like he did last game, then I have no problem with keeping him.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I hope Greiss starts against CBJ. I could see the coaches starting Nemo for both back to back games since they're on a 4 game losing streak and Nemo is coming off a SO. The coaches did bench Murray and I never thought I'd see that so I have hope they'll do the right thing.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
Sharks have always had trouble with teams that play this style, the coaching staff just cant seem to adjust their strategies to counter them.

well said. This was an example of a perfect away game for the Coyotes and it was the responsibility of the Sharks to find ways to over come it .

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
well said. This was an example of a perfect away game for the Coyotes and it was the responsibility of the Sharks to find ways to over come it .

A game in which no goals are scored is absolutely not a perfect game, home or away.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Clowe played well, but still not good enough. He left the joes to do most of the cycling and was literally just waiting too see if he could grab a garbage goal, 7 shots?? He's not good enough, nor will he ever maintain any type of valued sustainable play, he will always pepper it with something dumb.

2 blue line giveaways for a player that is supposed to be one of our better board players.

He was dragging the first line down, and it's time for him to be traded.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Clowe played a good game yesterday. He planted in front of the net and moved his feet. The Sharks had 20 giveaways yesterday...pretty sure that was a team wide problem.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Clowe played a good game yesterday. He planted in front of the net and moved his feet. The Sharks had 20 giveaways yesterday...pretty sure that was a team wide problem.

It's no secret the Sharks have a lot of giveaways but is it really the problem people often make it out to be? The Sharks are a passing/playmaking team that often dominates possession ... that's going to lead to more giveaways. If they are quickly recovered from, were they necessarily bad? It's like the idea of Thornton being prone to turnovers but you don't want him to stop taking those chances.

FWIW Phoenix had 14 turnovers in the same game. The shot/chance count was the best of the season in favor of the Sharks. They blew phoenix off the ice at even strength and (obviously) score tied.

A lot of turnovers happen on long breakout passes, which if the D doesn't have Murray in it is fairly easily recovered from.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
A puck possession team is going to give the puck away more than a typical NHL team. The key is to limit the amount of turnovers in the neutral and defensive zones. Against Chicago, the Sharks played a strong game but were destroyed by turnovers on their side of center ice. Few teams have the ability to match the Sharks top lines, but Chicago is one of them, and their speedy forwards made the Sharks pay for turning the puck over in bad areas. Yesterday, they did have some egregious turnovers in the defensive zone, but it did not hurt them primarily because Phoenix simply does not have enough offensive talent to consistently take advantage of those chances. I wouldn't put too much stock in the final outcome of yesterday's game, however. The Sharks absolutely dominated the Coyotes, as they did all of last year and for the last several years. Mike Smith single-handedly won the Coyotes the game. Sound familiar? The Sharks dominated Phoenix last year and would have easily won the division if it had not been for Mike Smith stealing 4 wins for Phoenix, 3 via shutout in games that Phoenix seemed to rarely even touch the puck. It's not 4 shutouts in the last 7 games Mike Smith has played against the Sharks. He's the new Jonas Hiller (primarily because we finally figured out Hiller).

Sometimes, you play a great game and lose. Aside from a few bad turnovers, the Sharks played a great game in all three zones. The Thornton line controlled play at an incredible level; they had a combined +48 corsi, meaning they had an on-ice shot differential (goals+saves+missed shots+blocks) of +48. That's ridiculous. Still, I am not sure why Clowe and Marleau were swapped. Clowe played a great game, but his lack of finishing ability doomed the Sharks. It's fairly safe to say that Marleau would have finished at least one of those chances. Marleau looked out of place with Couture. He played a solid game, but he did not have as many scoring chances as he usually does, which can be attributed almost solely to playing with Couture instead of Thornton. Thornton and Marleau have been together since 2008-09, and there is a reason for that. Their style of play fits in perfect contrast with one another, and their chemistry on the ice allows them to be one step ahead of the opposition. Marleau also plays a huge role as the lead forechecker (because of his size/speed) on that top line. With Clowe taking his place, the top line was not nearly as quick on the zone entry and were mindlessly bad at finishing chances.

The point is, when you have the best line in the NHL, which is what Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski has been since they were put together last year, you don't break it up because they stop scoring at a 2 point-per-game pace for 3 games.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The point is, when you have the best line in the NHL, which is what Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski has been since they were put together last year, you don't break it up because they stop scoring at a 2 point-per-game pace for 3 games.

You do if youre TM.

I really am starting to wonder if this team is at its limit of what TM can coach them to do, he just does not seem able to adapt his gameplan at all.

Someone in a thread recently pointed out that the Sharks having not had a chance to be "coached up" this offseason could have resulted in our team looking so amazing at the begining of the year. The amazing talent our top six has was on full display with them being able to just go out there, run around without a full gameplan setup and did an amazing job destroying other teams. As the season has progressed the sharks have gotten back to the exact same things they did last year that were not working, like trying to make pretty passes instead of the first available pass, cycling all friggin day long instead of shooting, etc.

Also take into account how we look again this year against teams like anahiem and nashville, both teams that play quite well in the neutral zone and send major pressure on the forecheck, we cannot play well against them.

I know some of it can be that our players are setup physically to fail against high tempo, pressure type teams, but some of it is also that TM tries nothing new against those teams(as far as i can see, im not in the locker room/practices). Ill be very interested to see how we do against stl this year, they have been shown to be vulnerable again this year and not the powerhouse they were last year, but something tells me that despite having seen them 9(?) times last year, and got absolutely rocked by them, we still will this year because TM will have changed nothing, or very little, about how he approaches games against that type of team.

I really feel sometimes like this team is being told to throttle down and focus on D, when we should tell one of the most talented teams in the league to just go out there and tear shiz up. Its really frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad