Post-Game Talk: 11.8.14: FSTN 7 PM CT - Preds @ Booze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Perds looking pretty good right now; we have the 4th highest SOS ranking in the NHL right now behind CGY, DAL, and COL. RRWP is round robin winning percentage: The expected winning percentage of a team if it played every other team once.

http://www.***********/r/hockey/comments/2lvd95/nhl_bt_power_rankings_november_10_2014/

gzWKyZL.png

EDIT: Not sure why R*ddit links are blocked, but the thread and methodology is in there under the hockey section.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
if anyone thinks we are hard on our players/too pessimistic they need to read the Blues GDT from last night. Even before they lost the lead they were extremely critical. You'd think after a 7 game win streak, losing 2-1 to a good team wouldn't be cause for ripping everybody

Um that was a loss - I have no problem criticizing a loss. It is eye-rolling to see complaints about the team after a big WIN. It is like complaining about the shortcomings no matter what so you can cackle with glee as you say 'I told you so!!!!' when the team hits a rough spot.

Are there issues with this team? Sure are. But this team sits in first place two weeks out from Thanksgiving and there is still plenty of room to improve. I find that to be a source of excitement, not pessimism. And I have been plenty pessimistic over the last couple seasons.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
I have to ask. Now that the Preds are winning do we automatically turn into hipster Preds fans?

'I was a fan BEFORE AIT WAS COOL...'

Please dont!... Im on the bandwagon :yo:

EDIT:
Have to ask, have the fanbase and interest grown now that Nashville have been so successful this season? I mean in Nashville the town of course(locally)
Are they a topic at work and stuff or is it all football?

Realy impressed with the crowds and stuff, never thought Nashville was much of a hockeytown since it seems to south and warm and stuff.

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Must share a moment of irony from the game Saturday.

I went with a Blues fan who is a friend. (Shocking I know). There was a junior tournament in town and the section we were in had a group of parents and kids from Chicago, who were Hawks fans of course. They were cheering for the Preds.:laugh:

When I chatted to a few Blues fan in the bathroom line, they mentioned how they hated the Hawks fans for similar reasons as we do. :laugh:

Truly an illustration of the enemy of my enemy is my friend principle.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

EDIT:
Have to ask, have the fanbase and interest grown now that Nashville have been so successful this season? I mean in Nashville the town of course(locally)

Realy impressed with the crowds and stuff, never thought Nashville was much of a hockeytown since it seems to south and warm and stuff.

People talk to me about the team because they know I'm interested...don't really hear people talking among themselves about the team at work, but they keep somewhat abreast of the general goings on. But I work with a bunch of computer nerds--only 2 of them talk about football. They talk about platforms I don't understand and games with which I am unfamiliar. I do see more Preds gear being worn around town, it isn't a cause for horn blowing and waving if you see a Preds anything on the back of a car anymore, which is a move in the right direction. It isn't novel anymore--it's part of the cityscape now.

Nashville temps are not as warm as people think we are--in winter, anyway. We have plenty of freezing cold days and some snow and ice--but the temperature is up and down due to our geography. It'll be 10 degrees followed by 60's the next week, followed by 30's and 40's. Geographically we're as close to Chicago as to the Gulf of Mexico and closer to Chicago than Florida. That said, it doesn't usually stay frigid long enough for the ponds to freeze.

As for its sustained popularity, winning helps. Winning definitely helps. But this team is stable in Nashville even in down years--provided there is clear movement toward improvement.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
If it wasn't that you guys do get down near zero and have that pesky white stuff fall once in a while, you'd be in the lead for "place that Joe wants to retire to in a few years."

Sadly, Arizona has the lead going into the clubhouse at the moment.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If it wasn't that you guys do get down near zero and have that pesky white stuff fall once in a while, you'd be in the lead for "place that Joe wants to retire to in a few years."

Sadly, Arizona has the lead going into the clubhouse at the moment.

WE have spring and fall.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

EDIT:

Did you intentionally choose the Catfish username? There is a history of catfish being thrown on the ice when the Predators score.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Nashville temps are not as warm as people think we are--in winter, anyway. We have plenty of freezing cold days and some snow and ice--but the temperature is up and down due to our geography. It'll be 10 degrees followed by 60's the next week, followed by 30's and 40's. Geographically we're as close to Chicago as to the Gulf of Mexico and closer to Chicago than Florida. That said, it doesn't usually stay frigid long enough for the ponds to freeze.
Last January it was. I actually walked on a frozen pond and could have built a backyard rink for a couple of weeks. It was actually colder in Nashville, Tennessee than in Barrow, Alaska for three straight days.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Oh, yeah, I know it happens. Back in 1984 (I think--memory goes as the years pass) I remember it got down to -17 and stayed really frigid for days. Snow was kind of deep and powdery--so dry you could have skied on it.

You just never know what you'll get. I like that about this area.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
Did you intentionally choose the Catfish username? There is a history of catfish being thrown on the ice when the Predators score.

haha no I didnt, That just been my nickname playing videogames and stuff. I'v been a member since Januari all though Iv been reading theese boards for about 2 years I think but I just recently started watching the preds.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
People talk to me about the team because they know I'm interested...don't really hear people talking among themselves about the team at work, but they keep somewhat abreast of the general goings on. But I work with a bunch of computer nerds--only 2 of them talk about football. They talk about platforms I don't understand and games with which I am unfamiliar. I do see more Preds gear being worn around town, it isn't a cause for horn blowing and waving if you see a Preds anything on the back of a car anymore, which is a move in the right direction. It isn't novel anymore--it's part of the cityscape now.

As for its sustained popularity, winning helps. Winning definitely helps. But this team is stable in Nashville even in down years--provided there is clear movement toward improvement.

Ok, Thank you! That was the answer I was looking for.
I think a long playoff run usally does the most impact. Especially with families with kids and stuff, kids just keep watching and have these nostalgic memories wich makes the parents take the kids to more games.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Ok, Thank you! That was the answer I was looking for.
I think a long playoff run usally does the most impact. Especially with families with kids and stuff, kids just keep watching and have these nostalgic memories wich makes the parents take the kids to more games.

What hurts the Preds in the "office talk" area as far as competing with other sports is it is in the heart of College Football country. So even if the local teams are bad, there are other teams that people are talking about.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Oh, yeah, I know it happens. Back in 1984 (I think--memory goes as the years pass) I remember it got down to -17 and stayed really frigid for days. Snow was kind of deep and powdery--so dry you could have skied on it.

You just never know what you'll get. I like that about this area.

I remember that. It was the year I moved to Nashville from Fort Myers, Florida with my wife and three kids all 6 and under. We didn't have the curtains up in our new house yet and the windows were frozen on both sides. My wife was NOT HAPPY.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The winter weather here is kind of an anomaly. I think it's mild (during the day) more often than we tend to remember because it's easier to look back and complain about those freezing cold days that happen from time to time. At night, yeah it gets cold but I mean just looking at the numbers, the city's lowest average monthly high temperature is 47 in January. December and February's average high is 50 and 52. Pretty mild compared to most of the country I'd think. Last winter was absolutely terrible and I don't remember consistent, oppressive cold (by our standards) like that anytime in the recent past before then. When it gets as cold as it did then, or on those times where it actually snows, the way the people here react is a pretty sure sign that it's uncommon for us to deal with it.

What hurts the Preds in the "office talk" area as far as competing with other sports is it is in the heart of College Football country. So even if the local teams are bad, there are other teams that people are talking about.

I think it's just a matter of it not being a mainstream sport for a lot of people here. When the Preds are in the playoffs I compare it to when the US is in the World Cup. A lot of casual fans start to get interested, it's a big deal at the time, and then when it's over people forget about it. There's always a core group that always pay attention, but it's times like the playoffs when people actually find it necessary to talk to others about it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I remember that. It was the year I moved to Nashville from Fort Myers, Florida with my wife and three kids all 6 and under. We didn't have the curtains up in our new house yet and the windows were frozen on both sides. My wife was NOT HAPPY.

And my recollection is the cold air stuck around awhile. We couldn't afford the $80/month electric bill (!!!) and got a kerosene heater. We had fans set up to blow the warmer air through our little rental house but we couldn't leave it on while we were at work. I remember a coworker brought me home and I was very embarrassed that our house was 30 degrees.

We lost when I did the GDT, too.

Drake--I was mainly saying that we weren't that warm in the winter. I think a lot of people think we're the deep south and Florida or Southern California warm year round and we're not. It's temperate. We get everything but it's very changeable.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Must share a moment of irony from the game Saturday.

I went with a Blues fan who is a friend. (Shocking I know). There was a junior tournament in town and the section we were in had a group of parents and kids from Chicago, who were Hawks fans of course. They were cheering for the Preds.:laugh:

When I chatted to a few Blues fan in the bathroom line, they mentioned how they hated the Hawks fans for similar reasons as we do. :laugh:

Truly an illustration of the enemy of my enemy is my friend principle.

I swear, I came thiiiiiiiiis close to kicking a Blues fan down the stairs between sections 301 and 302 one night. He was the most obnoxious person Ive ever had the displeasure of sitting beside. I've hated their fanbase every game since.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I swear, I came thiiiiiiiiis close to kicking a Blues fan down the stairs between sections 301 and 302 one night. He was the most obnoxious person Ive ever had the displeasure of sitting beside. I've hated their fanbase every game since.

It's all relative in terms of obnoxiousness as I am a former Blues fan that turn-coated to the Pred's moving to Nashville in '92 from StL and staying (save one year back in StL in 2000-2001). I've found traveling fans in groups are often self-entitled and rude regardless of team affiliation. St. Louis and Chicago just happen to be close enough to travel en mass and increases the likelihood of getting a-holes... I had a similar moment on the perch of 303/304 with a belligerent Blues fan where I looked at the guy in a vintage Blues sweater with 'Osgood' of all things on it and gave him the choice of being 'cool' or taking a trip down the stairs since I held the high ground and he had had several beverages ingested with two more in his hands. I even looked at him and told him where I grew up and hassled him about not having Sutter, Federko or Gilmour on his sweater... His buddies laughed at him and settled him down and were much better but still exchanged some banter as I would expect. They even bought me a beer while giving me some grief for being a turn-coat but said how much they loved our town and where the Arena was. I hated Hawks fans growing up; but have learned to just have fun with them and be able to smack-talk back knowledgeably with a handshake and a full awareness of beer muscles and where the usher is. That said, I also never take my kids to those games while they are little.

Sometimes you have that 'Empire Strikes Back' moment when you realize that some fans of now-hated fanbases were instrumental in bringing about your team's existence. In fact, a kid I went to elementary school in the StL suburb of Chesterfield, MO and was a huge Blues fan growing up during the Purina and Ornest years where they had their own franchise moving/folding scares (http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009/4/5/823172/the-saskatoon-blues-the-story). He worked in the effort as part of the Nashville Sports Council to bring the Predators here as an expansion team. He also did a lot with the Music City Bowl before moving onto to the Fiesta Bowl and now JAX... I asked him on FB when it looked very possible to see a StL/Predator match-up in the 2nd round which side he would take, and he said that he went through so much just to get business leaders to not laugh in his face at a Nashville NHL team being successful in meetings that he had to pull for the Pred's in that case.

The Blues share a similar 'Darth Vader' existence with the Blackhawks as the old skinflint Bill Wirtz insisted on a St. Louis franchise in 1967 to rid himself of the St. Louis Arena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967–68_St._Louis_Blues_season) where the Black Hawk farm team played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad