GDT: 11/4/17 - 7:00PM EDT - Columbus vs Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like we're beyond the point where Sustr simply has negative trade value, and it's now a negative to have him on the roster. Not even just as a Dman, but as a player. There must be a better way to use that roster spot, someone in Syracuse who deserves a cup of coffee. Something.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
What a fun game to watch. The game should've been in the bag after the second but the soft goal given up by Vasy gave them life. He some great saves again but he should've had that. The most important thing though is that we got the two points before a tough California road trip. I'll be happy with 3/6 points on that trip, especially with a back to back in there.

I think the Point line is my favourite even though Stammer and Kuch are scoring at will. They're just so fun to watch. Absolutely relentless on the opposition and they always seem to turn the tide in our favour. I hope they stay together for the whole year and more importantly, stay healthy. They give us that important secondary option to Namestnikov-Stamkov-Kucherov line. With bottom six chipping in a goal here and there, we're more than fine offensively. Just have to get that defensive game in order but I think it'll come as the season progresses.

Reactions: Maelmoor

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Vasi has been good but he's still letting in too many goals. If he brought his average down a bit the team would be incredibly difficult to beat. You would have to catch us on a tough night offensively which can and will happen once in a while but we have offense there most nights. This team is really fun to watch though. I get a little giddy when I see Stamkos and Kuch out there. They can score on any given play.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i actually blamed 2nd goal on hedman guy at net right beside him he leaves totally alone to chase a puck that is controlled by jackets instead of taking that guy out of the play who wound up scoring. Was no way hedman was getting there sustr was two steps behind already and hedman should have just stayed home and tried to kick out the pass puck etc.. unless guy goes all the around the net which he did not. Is small things like this and I havent read one thing on here tonight just watched the game was out watching ufc fights last night. Yet I am positive by the last response its a sustr tear up which he deserves his share of course but this one is hedman:) I heard it on facebook so dont need to read lol.... Structure was better and unlike last game we didnt get what we deserved lol. No way we should have been tied but it happens.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I am happy with the two points stamkos and kucherov returning to semi form. Kucherov still overpassing a bit. Sergachev pass was elite.. Good bounce back game. Was great to watch the 04 team that was very cool wish had been there nice job all around. BOB was bob we shoulda had 8-9 goals lol

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
7 points ahead of the 2nd team in Atlantic. I'm happy with that.

Also we have the same amount of points as the 3 worst teams combined. :nod:

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We played great until the 3rd. Started to sit back a bit. Not a shell, but we definitely weren't skating as hard. Bad goal by Vasi on #3. Other than that he made some fantastic saves. Bobrovsky is so damn good man.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I like how everyone is giving Sustr crap for being -2. How about Hedman not scoring on his own keeper and actually covering his man in front of the net. Those two goals were all on Hedman, luckily Sustr saved his but the other 3 minutes he was on the ice or Hedman would be a -5.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
i actually blamed 2nd goal on hedman guy at net right beside him he leaves totally alone to chase a puck that is controlled by jackets instead of taking that guy out of the play who wound up scoring. Was no way hedman was getting there sustr was two steps behind already and hedman should have just stayed home and tried to kick out the pass puck etc.. unless guy goes all the around the net which he did not. Is small things like this and I havent read one thing on here tonight just watched the game was out watching ufc fights last night. Yet I am positive by the last response its a sustr tear up which he deserves his share of course but this one is hedman:) I heard it on facebook so dont need to read lol.... Structure was better and unlike last game we didnt get what we deserved lol. No way we should have been tied but it happens.
So let's talk about this goal.

So Sustr is the first on the puck, and... well does nothing with it. Johnson comes to help out but it's 3 on 2 (and one of those 2 is Sustr so effectively a 3 on 1).

Sustr loses the battle and now is behind the play. Werenski is going to the front of the net.

Hedman moves to take away the pass (look at where he is - shortest path to make a play is to the puck carrier - tougher to get to Werenski there than the puck carrier).

Now - the pros for moving to Werenski is that he has more time to react to a pass to break it up. Downside is the puck carrier is going to have a lot of time and space to make a play. It's a higher risk play by Hedman, but it's defensible.

Sustr? First he mishandles the puck against the forecheck (shocker). Then he loses a battle on the boards (shocker). Then he finds himself behind the play (my god that has never happened before in his career).

Hedman was in a position where he had to cover from a soft soft soft play, and tried to do it in a way that would lead to no scoring chance rather than trading a high chance for a mid chance, and the pass just beat him. Eh - that happens but if it works we say "WHAT A PLAY BY HEDMAN!" There is no scenario where we look at Sustr's play and find a way to defend it.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So let's talk about this goal.

So Sustr is the first on the puck, and... well does nothing with it. Johnson comes to help out but it's 3 on 2 (and one of those 2 is Sustr so effectively a 3 on 1).

Sustr loses the battle and now is behind the play. Werenski is going to the front of the net.

Hedman moves to take away the pass (look at where he is - shortest path to make a play is to the puck carrier - tougher to get to Werenski there than the puck carrier).

Now - the pros for moving to Werenski is that he has more time to react to a pass to break it up. Downside is the puck carrier is going to have a lot of time and space to make a play. It's a higher risk play by Hedman, but it's defensible.

Sustr? First he mishandles the puck against the forecheck (shocker). Then he loses a battle on the boards (shocker). Then he finds himself behind the play (my god that has never happened before in his career).

Hedman was in a position where he had to cover from a soft soft soft play, and tried to do it in a way that would lead to no scoring chance rather than trading a high chance for a mid chance, and the pass just beat him. Eh - that happens but if it works we say "WHAT A PLAY BY HEDMAN!" There is no scenario where we look at Sustr's play and find a way to defend it.

the blame for this one goes squarely on Sustr, who barely played yet still managed to be noticeably terrible

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
In the matter of 3 seconds, Sustr lost possession and then got beat. It's just as if he wasn't there. Hedman did on that play what he does on daily basis and it works 9 times out of 10, not this time around tho, but you can't have a defender being so irrelevant at this level. Sustr is awful, period.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
In the matter of 3 seconds, Sustr lost possession and then got beat. It's just as if he wasn't there. Hedman did on that play what he does on daily basis and it works 9 times out of 10, not this time around tho, but you can't have a defender being so irrelevant at this level. Sustr is awful, period.
It's funny because in the course of five seconds you get a quick encapsulation of everything that sucks about Sustr. Awful against a forecheck. Awful along the boards. Awful positionally.

It's kind of beautiful how it all came together.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Technically, the goal is on hedman for not covering the man. I mean, in a vacuum. But yeah, sustr is such a shit show on the boards that hedman attempts to make up for his weak play and ends up allowing the goal.

Reactions: The Green Unit

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hedman shouldn't have left his man alone for the goal. Sustr didn't lose the puck battle, he was letting the forward think he had a clear path to goal but was about to steal the puck and lead the odd man rush the other way. Unfortunately Hedman screwed it up just like he did earlier on the 1st goal.

Reactions: The Green Unit

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
It looks like Sustr makes the play up the boards, and someone else misplays it. THEN Sustr loses a puck battle. Then Heddy tries to make a play, and no one covers the guy in front of the net. You guys are trying to put too much of the blame on Sustr when our D has been shit in almost every game despite whether Sustr was playing or not. Our D should be better than it is, but they are constantly making mistakes.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It looks like Sustr makes the play up the boards, and someone else misplays it. THEN Sustr loses a puck battle. Then Heddy tries to make a play, and no one covers the guy in front of the net. You guys are trying to put too much of the blame on Sustr when our D has been **** in almost every game despite whether Sustr was playing or not. Our D should be better than it is, but they are constantly making mistakes.
What play up the boards? He lightly hits it against the wall and it moves all of three feet right toward the CBJ player. Johnson is in there in the scrum but it's 3 on "2" and CBJ comes away with the puck.

Edit - Callahan comes to support and chips it up the boards. Johnson looking a little lazy on that play, but Sustr should hard-around when three forecheckers are on one side of the ice.

Too hard on Sustr? f***ing hilarious. In 3:24 he's a -2. Sustr is not an NHL-caliber hockey player.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
And I'll say again, " You guys are trying to put too much of the blame on Sustr when our D has been **** in almost every game despite whether Sustr was playing or not. Our D should be better than it is, but they are constantly making mistakes."

He did/has barely played. We still almost lost. We blow leads.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
8th in GA/G.

I get we're looking at something to bitch about, but saying the D has been bad is a flat out lie.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
8th in GA/G.

I get we're looking at something to ***** about, but saying the D has been bad is a flat out lie.
Maybe not bad but too inconsistent. Also I feel like there has been a few games only where we've not allowed 5+ goals only because of Vasy. Take the Rangers game for example, our defense was absolutely horrible despite giving up only a single goal in 60 minutes.

The defense has been good in some games, they just have to be more consistent.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Maybe not bad but too inconsistent. Also I feel like there has been a few games only where we've not allowed 5+ goals only because of Vasy. Take the Rangers game for example, our defense was absolutely horrible despite giving up only a single goal in 60 minutes.

The defense has been good in some games, they just have to be more consistent.
Fine - but look at last night. 12 scoring chances against over 65 minutes, including a 4 on 3 PP. That is an objectively good number. But for two VERY fluky goals, we all pat ourselves on the back over a "60 minute effort".

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sustr definitely lost his battle and man but Hedman made a big gamble going for the poke and leavng the attacker open. Sustr's fault but Hedman tried to overcompensate, the guy was behind the net he couldn't have made a high percentage play if his forward was covered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad