GDT: 11/28/15 - 7:00PM EDT - New York Islanders VS Tampa Bay

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
So, I've come to this conclusion after October and November:

It's just not fun to watch this team anymore. I've missed more games this season than any other before. Even when we were horrible. It's just not fun anymore.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
God I hate Coop's interviews.

"Gotta keep playing this way". Hate you.

I'd like to propose that instead of continuing to play this way they instead play the opposite of how they're playing now. Radical idea but I think it might work.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

And this is also what's so ****ing annoying. Last year, our team could will itself to a win. Not this year. We seem to be mentally weak and lazy this year. "Keep playing like this, the points will come." Well Coop, we're playing 500 hockey right now. Even worse than that actually, personally, I count overtime losses as what they are: losses.

So ****ing annoying. Change something, ANYTHING. Light a fire under people. Change the system. CHANGE THE POWER PLAY

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa

It's super frustrating. The level of denial, at least to the press, is unreal. I used to think it was just how he talked to the press and that inside the locker room he was harder on the team and more realistic, but now I don't think that. I really believe Cooper has no idea what to do with a losing team. He's out of his depth and the coaching staff around him either isn't helping or isn't allowed to help.

Then you get Stamkos basically checked out in the post-game interview. Like...hey, maybe you should lead by example?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
They clearly outplayed the Islanders and showed as much "jam" as I've seen from them this season. Special teams aside, that's about as good of a rebound effort as one could reasonably ask for, especially considering the depleted lineup. Not sure what game some of you were watching, tbh.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They clearly outplayed the Islanders and showed as much "jam" as I've seen from them this season. Special teams aside, that's about as good of a rebound effort as one could reasonably ask for, especially considering the depleted lineup. Not sure what game some of you were watching, tbh.

Moral victories get you nowhere at this point.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
So, I've come to this conclusion after October and November:

It's just not fun to watch this team anymore.

I've been saying this for a while now
9ReRvb8.png

#CoopersGonnaCoop
No Coop they have to play a lot better than what ever the heck you call this now. They look awful and haven't really looked good all season

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Moral victories get you nowhere at this point.

That effort on a consistent basis gets you comfortably in the playoffs, and it was clearly some of the most inspired hockey the team has played so far despite some difficult circumstances. It seems like a lot of posts in this thread pay no mind at all to the fact that we carried the play the majority of the time and looked like a hungry, motivated team.

Obviously points are at a premium, but I'm happy with the way they played.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I watched the one where our unacceptably poor special teams lost us the game. Yeah they did some other things right but "some" doesn't cut it any more. We need wins. Ugly, pretty, whatever. Just end up with more than the bad guys.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
That effort on a consistent basis gets you comfortably in the playoffs, and it was clearly some of the most inspired hockey the team has played so far despite some difficult circumstances. It seems like a lot of posts in this thread pay no mind at all to the fact that we carried the play the majority of the time and looked like a hungry, motivated team.

Obviously points are at a premium, but I'm happy with the way they played.

While I agree that we carried the play for the most part, it's still a big issue that we lost this game. Our special teams play a role in deciding the game, unfortunately, and they need to be fixed. Not over time. Not by next season. They needed to be fixed over this last summer. No excuse for such terrible execution and strategies in the NHL.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I keep reading Coop's fault here and Coop's fault there but what I see is a bunch of lazy ****heads incapable to sustain a respectable effort for 60 minutes with a sub-zero killer instinct, they are having a knack for telegraphing passes in the offensive zone, giving the puck away like free candies elsewhere or coughing up the puck in scoring chance areas. In short men digging their own graves.

Coop has his flaws but the most important is that his system is not flawed, the man is coaching at the highest level though he's not supposed to be a baby-sitter. So, at which point the players are going to be held accountable ?

Rant over, I'm crawling back into my cave. We'll see each other on the next winning streak.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I keep reading Coop's fault here and Coop's fault there but what I see is a bunch of lazy ****heads incapable to sustain a respectable effort for 60 minutes with a sub-zero killer instinct, they are having a knack for telegraphing passes in the offensive zone, giving the puck away like free candies elsewhere or coughing up the puck in scoring chance areas. In short men digging their own graves.

Coop has his flaws but the most important is that his system is not flawed, the man is coaching at the highest level though he's not supposed to be a baby-sitter. So, at which point the players are going to be held accountable ?

Rant over, I'm crawling back into my cave. We'll see each other on the next winning streak.

See: every argument against Guy Boucher.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm not in the fire Cooper boat yet, but he hasn't been holding the players accountable himself with the way he keeps going back to the same lineups and line combinations with underperforming guys, and that's part of his job. And the way the power play has been even when the players are at peak performance suggests it's purely coaching's fault there.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Boucher and Coop both came in and did away with the sense of 'having' to play a guy on a certain line, or in certain situations, and just did whatever they needed to in order to get them winning.

And both have apparently eased off that once they had playoff success.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Boucher and Coop both came in and did away with the sense of 'having' to play a guy on a certain line, or in certain situations, and just did whatever they needed to in order to get them winning.

And both have apparently eased off that once they had playoff success.

Yea they did a lot of line shifting but that seemed to annoy a lot of posters on here. Now that they are trying to be more consistent with lines people want them to shake the lines up. It just comes down to winning. If they win nobody complains and nobody is an expert. If they lose then obviously the coach and players should have done better.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yea they did a lot of line shifting but that seemed to annoy a lot of posters on here. Now that they are trying to be more consistent with lines people want them to shake the lines up. It just comes down to winning. If they win nobody complains and nobody is an expert. If they lose then obviously the coach and players should have done better.

Boucher was especially bad with shuffling lines too frequently. There is a sweet spot and both Coop and Boucher didn't have the necessary nerve to let new lines play out for a few games without getting married to them.

Now we have things like Callahan and Stamkos together. Not a bad idea initially, but how long do you let something that isn't working continue? It's longer than a few shifts like under Boucher, but it's less than weeks on end like we've seen from Cooper.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not in the fire Cooper boat yet, but he hasn't been holding the players accountable himself with the way he keeps going back to the same lineups and line combinations with underperforming guys, and that's part of his job. And the way the power play has been even when the players are at peak performance suggests it's purely coaching's fault there.

I'm not in that boat either far from it, but I do put some of the blame on Coop for some of our players struggling in the points/production department but also blame efforts at the wrong place and time, along with very bad luck. It's a mix of things, and if we can fix one or two of them the scoring should happen more consistently.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I've got to wonder what the 'correct' length of time is for letting lines gel before they can relatively safely be shaken up. Fancy stats have become such a thing, and rules of thumb have existed for years about players primes, etc.

You guys know I'm not suggesting to follow such a rule, or stat blindly, but how often do lines really start become effective months down the line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad