Post-Game Talk: 11/26/17 | Canucks 3 @ Rangers 4 | SO Loss

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Gaunce had a good game. So strong along the boards. Him and Virtanen could be the makings of a very tough line to play against. They just need to find some consistent scoring (in Gaunces' case, any scoring).

yes i find virtanen and gaunce play off quite well .

they just need another play that also compliments them well ...which is a LW who can feed virtanen the puck.

Sven Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Gagner Sutter Vanek
??? Gaunce Virtanen

one thing is, gagner is a f***ing BAD signing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was a great development game for us. gaunce and virtanen both looked good and showed actual chemistry with the b line having an off game. it gave us a glimpse of how this team might be with two young lines going to allow more consistency. i really hope those two continue to click.

i love virtanen playing on a regular line now and fitting in. that is huge progress. i would not rush the guy at all though. he still loses focus and/or gets lost during shifts. putting him in the spotlight in ot is not worth the risk of him being the goat. he could be jack skille if we don't bring him along step by painstaking step.

for now we are in a sweet spot for a rebuilding team where the team is competitive enough that green does not have to go all out for wins or shorten the bench to hold leads and can play young guys in the proverbial key situations without exposing them too much. plus there are no expectations, especially on the road out of our time zone. i think green is handling this team perfectly for the future.

hutton's evolution is fascinating. he made mistakes today but when he went after kreider i was so happy. i think the guy is eventually going to know his limits and play within them and be a rock solid no nonsense #3 or #2 dman. right now, watching him try to be more than that is great. i hope he makes it.

pouliot is making a case for sitting stecher. considering that is his off side and how much i like stecher, that is impressive.

also, i hate to admit it but gagner and vanek are both paying off at the moment. they are outplaying granlund and burmistrov and giving us enough secondary offence to keep us in games.

on the down side

burmistrov is so soft it's painful, and should sit in favour of goldobin next game.

granlund was just barely ok defensively but mostly invisible in a game where he should have been in the mix. when sutter gets back i'd consider sitting granlund.

marky is looking more like cloutier all the time but i agree with playing him through it. i believe nillson's lack of athleticism is going to get exposed sooner or later. too many waterbugs and deadly shooters out there for a positional goalie to survive.

edler is lost in 2011. he doesn't trust young players and overtrusts the sedins. he is reliable but has no imagination.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

they just need another play that also compliments them well ...which is a LW who can feed virtanen the puck.

Sven Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Gagner Sutter Vanek
??? Gaunce Virtanen

one thing is, gagner is a ****ing BAD signing.

That ??? Could be Goldy

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I have a hard time believing that scoring in the shootout is scoring when it matters lol.
Marky makes one more save, boeser gets game winning shootout goal

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
or he is getting tired...because university players arent used to the full 82 game schedule pace.

thats why he said he was tired at the end of pre season and green gave him 2 days off but not a lot of people know this.

either way, skating is one thing u can turn into elite. IQ for example cannot be.

so boeser's first full NHL schedule and he will figure the skating + endurance out.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I've been noticing it but haven't looked at the numbers until now, we're actually doing really well on the dot this year. We're middle of the pack numbers wise right now but individually our key faceoff guys are doing well. Henrik has never been great and Granlund/Gagner aren't really known for it but Bo and Sutter are doing really well. Big change from a couple years back when we were bottom of the league

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I've been noticing it but haven't looked at the numbers until now, we're actually doing really well on the dot this year. We're middle of the pack numbers wise right now but individually our key faceoff guys are doing well. Henrik has never been great and Granlund/Gagner aren't really known for it but Bo and Sutter are doing really well. Big change from a couple years back when we were bottom of the league

We can probably thank money malhotra.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
or he is getting tired...because university players arent used to the full 82 game schedule pace.

thats why he said he was tired at the end of pre season and green gave him 2 days off but not a lot of people know this.

either way, skating is one thing u can turn into elite. IQ for example cannot be.

so boeser's first full NHL schedule and he will figure the skating + endurance out.
I agree. He should have a predestined games off ahead of the time so that he can catch a breathe. 65-70 games is ideal especially coming from college hockey. I have actually noticed that most rookies breaking out in his rookie season only to have a sophomore slump due to fatigue since 80 game season started back in 70's. It's common and if you look at Selanne's rookie season, he was great until he hit a wall in the playoffs and then the following season had a sophomore slump then recovered for better in his 3rd season. You would want to gradually increase the workload by starting playing 65-70 games then play a full schedule the season after to prevent that disappointment when he might have a sophomore slump. The body is not ready to handle that grind of 82-game season.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
that was a great development game for us. gaunce and virtanen both looked good and showed actual chemistry with the b line having an off game. it gave us a glimpse of how this team might be with two young lines going to allow more consistency. i really hope those two continue to click.

i love virtanen playing on a regular line now and fitting in. that is huge progress. i would not rush the guy at all though. he still loses focus and/or gets lost during shifts. putting him in the spotlight in ot is not worth the risk of him being the goat. he could be jack skille if we don't bring him along step by painstaking step.

for now we are in a sweet spot for a rebuilding team where the team is competitive enough that green does not have to go all out for wins or shorten the bench to hold leads and can play young guys in the proverbial key situations without exposing them too much. plus there are no expectations, especially on the road out of our time zone. i think green is handling this team perfectly for the future.

hutton's evolution is fascinating. he made mistakes today but when he went after kreider i was so happy. i think the guy is eventually going to know his limits and play within them and be a rock solid no nonsense #3 or #2 dman. right now, watching him try to be more than that is great. i hope he makes it.

pouliot is making a case for sitting stecher. considering that is his off side and how much i like stecher, that is impressive.

also, i hate to admit it but gagner and vanek are both paying off at the moment. they are outplaying granlund and burmistrov and giving us enough secondary offence to keep us in games.

on the down side

burmistrov is so soft it's painful, and should sit in favour of goldobin next game.

granlund was just barely ok defensively but mostly invisible in a game where he should have been in the mix. when sutter gets back i'd consider sitting granlund.

marky is looking more like cloutier all the time but i agree with playing him through it. i believe nillson's lack of athleticism is going to get exposed sooner or later. too many waterbugs and deadly shooters out there for a positional goalie to survive.

edler is lost in 2011. he doesn't trust young players and overtrusts the sedins. he is reliable but has no imagination.
yes...another post of somebody who really knows what hes talking about. +1

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
That ??? Could be Goldy

yes could be, both gaunce + virtanen are big, fast crashing bodies that can retrieve the puck and goldy is known one of those that have good playmaking skills + vision and feeding it to virtanen for the snipe.

if i was green, that'd where i put him next game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Sven Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Gagner Sutter Vanek
??? Gaunce Virtanen

one thing is, gagner is a ****ing BAD signing.

That's all Goldobin has been doing in Utica. I think someone told this big goal scorer that he had to pass the puck if he wanted to play in the NHL. He is concentrating on passing to his detriment. He just might be a great fit to that line even if I hate to see the Comets lose their best player.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
This is a game the Canucks should have won. They out-chanced and out-hustled the Rangers. However, a few breakdowns cost them.
The Sedin line was solid, bordering on spectacular. The Horvat line was a little under water in terms of play. The Burmistrov and Gaunce lines played their roles with hustle and heart. The defenders all played solidly.
Really, the only roster change for the upcoming Islanders game Green should probably make would be switching out Markstrom for Nilsson.

Reactions: nucks88

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's all Goldobin has been doing in Utica. I think someone told this big goal scorer that he had to pass the puck if he wanted to play in the NHL. He is concentrating on passing to his detriment. He just might be a great fit to that line even if I hate to see the Comets lose their best player.

To the, "Oh we can't play at 11:00 in the morning." posters.

I might buy this if the Canucks got in last night and played today, but they didn't.
It is 2:00 in the afternoon in NYC, not 11:00 A.M. The Canucks have been on the East coast since Monday. Thus, this was their 7th day in the east. Plenty of time to adjust to the time difference. Having won the first 2 games out here it appears the time switch was not that much of an influence on their game.

The Rangers spent the 1st 2 periods handing the puck to the Canucks time after time after time. Most members of the team wasted those turnovers at one time or another. The game should have been well in hand by the start of the 3rd. You can't hang this loss on any one Canuck. They all contributed to bad play or failure to capitalize on the plethora of freebies they were handed and therefore, the quality opportunities they blew.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is a game the Canucks should have won. They out-chanced and out-hustled the Rangers. However, a few breakdowns cost them.
The Sedin line was solid, bordering on spectacular. The Horvat line was a little under water in terms of play. The Burmistrov and Gaunce lines played their roles with hustle and heart. The defenders all played solidly.
Really, the only roster change for the upcoming Islanders game Green should probably make would be switching out Markstrom for Nilsson.
Agreed that the Canucks should have won..I thought that the BBB line had its worst game of the season (as a line..Horvat had a good game)

That goal that Marky let in from a wide angle does loom pretty large though....Not his best game...

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Putting D-men in the later rounds is actually a smart decision because there isnt any book on them.

With that being said I dont think Virtanen has many, if any, shootout out attempts to speak of so there probably isnt a book on him either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad