Post-Game Talk: 11/26/17 | Canucks 3 @ Rangers 4 | SO Loss

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Starting to really see that Markstrom is just a mid term solution well we wait for Demko. Hes good and hes stolen us some games but hes not gonna carry a team deep in a playoffs run for when this team is competitive to actually do something like in maybe a couple a years

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Starting to really see that Markstrom is just a mid term solution well we wait for Demko. Hes good and hes stolen us some games but hes not gonna carry a team deep in a playoffs run for when this team is competitive to actually do something like in maybe a couple a years
That's why we need to double our odds by playing two potential starters, hope one stood out. Keep trying until you succeed.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
We tend to lose early morning games.

Sucks that BBB line didn't get a point, but atleast Virtanen scored.

Eriksson is doing well.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
no ****.

i mean that he can improve his skating, making it elite. just needs the right dediction and coaching.

IQ is something that cannot be turned into elite for example.
If skating was so easily improved then there would be no poor skaters in the NHL. I’m not saying he can’t improve, but turning his main weakness into a strength, like Horvat did, is rare.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to agree....both Markstrom and Nilsson are just placeholders for Demko's inevitable arrival.....it's not that Markstrom doesn't make some great saves....he does....but then he lets in a killer goal like the one in the first minute of the third period....Even Grabner didn't look like he was shooting to beat the goaltender with that shot....just directed it on goal and hoping for a rebound.....but all of a sudden the Canucks lead is gone and they're under siege for much of the third period. You just can't win consistently with goaltending like that.....even when it was 2-0 I figured the Rangers would get a couple of cheesy ones and get back in it. And if I'm thinking that, so probably are the Canuck players.

Which leads me to Alex Edler.....is there any chance the guy can watch some film and learn how to tie up a guy's stick in front of the net?...Sheesh!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
All i watched were the highlights just read the last page of comments...

My theory on What Green is doing with the goaltending:

Hes letting Markstrom bury himself without giving him the cop out excuse of not being given ample opportunity.

Nilsson' Christmas present should the lionshare of the starts the rest of the season.

You looking for a stealth tank or have a conspiracy theory the Canucks plan on tanking and making it look unintentional?? Look for Marky starts past Christmas.

Not a fan.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Sure missed Guddy and Dorse today. Felt like we were ragdolled for much of what I saw. But a point is a point.

Also would like to see more Nilsson. -clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop-

...don’t fear the reaper

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sure missed Guddy and Dorse today. Felt like we were ragdolled for much of what I saw. But a point is a point.

Also would like to see more Nilsson. -clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop-

...don’t fear the reaper
Guddy Dorsett and Sutter out. Should be interesting we were good today but Nash and Kreider had good games so maybe that it a side effect. So far Gaunce playing well but teams can choose to rough it up hopefully our pp keeps it up.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Baffles me as to why JV wasn't given a shot in the SO. He had a good game tonight, confidence was probably high....give the kid a chance to win the game!!!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Have to agree....both Markstrom and Nilsson are just placeholders for Demko's inevitable arrival.....it's not that Markstrom doesn't make some great saves....he does....but then he lets in a killer goal like the one in the first minute of the third period....Even Grabner didn't look like he was shooting to beat the goaltender with that shot....just directed it on goal and hoping for a rebound.....but all of a sudden the Canucks lead is gone and they're under siege for much of the third period. You just can't win consistently with goaltending like that.....even when it was 2-0 I figured the Rangers would get a couple of cheesy ones and get back in it. And if I'm thinking that, so probably are the Canuck players.

Which leads me to Alex Edler.....is there any chance the guy can watch some film and learn how to tie up a guy's stick in front of the net?...Sheesh!

Not disagreeing in general but that 3rd period goal can happen to the best of them. It happened on a quicker turnover but Gagner's goal was pretty similar.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Don't really like to see a game where you've got control and then lose it. Canucks will be a better team when they learn how to shut things down or burn teams more effectively when opponenets are forced to open it up like the Rangers did today.

Good

Sedins - had the old magic working thru large segments of the game. Thing they may lack is better finishing those episodes when they have the puck on a string

Edler - very strong first couple of periods and over all back bone of the defense. Made a huge save to get apoint out of this one.

Tanev - best game since his return from injury. Skated much better in this game

Virtanen - his speed put pressure on the defense. His line played surprising well and I thought the main factor in that was Virtanen.

Eriksson - seems so much more tenacious. Coming up with the second and third effort. Actually looked better with the Sedins than he did all last year.

Gaunce - his inability to score is becoming frankly legendary. However, hounded the puck along the boards forcing some turnovers and worked well in the neutral zone. Worked unexpectaly well with Virtanen

Not Good

Gagner - yes he scored but also poor play in his own zone helped lead to many chances against. Kept making long distance weak shots on goal when there was no screen. Like to see Goldobin given a shot instead of Gagner.

Pouliot - wants to sit back and play things from the back. Too many stretch passes and too many turnovers. Still has to get up to NHL speed. Things to like about Pouliot but he needs to react quicker to situations and get up the ice quicker to reduce the gaps b/w him and the forwards

Burmistrov - too weak on the puck and too easily shunted aside by opponents. Never looks like he is going to get anything accomplished.

Boeser - looked like the tank was empty in this one. Transition from college to NHL is tough and team might look to spelling Boeser. Putting in Goldobin here might be an option if Gagner plays.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Guddy Dorsett and Sutter out. Should be interesting we were good today but Nash and Kreider had good games so maybe that it a side effect. So far Gaunce playing well but teams can choose to rough it up hopefully our pp keeps it up.
The Canucks looked like a better team with those 3 out actually.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sedins were not the slowest guys on the ice. I think that's a problem.

Goaltending has been really strong considering they are both back-ups.

Canucks are weaker without Dorsett. Canucks leaders lead by example and he was missed.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Teams inability to protect a lead and play hard on the
The Canucks looked like a better team with those 3 out actually.
yes no need for players that could have helped protect a 2-0 and 3-2 leads?

Gudbranson i agree. He's mostly been a coke machine.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
If skating was so easily improved then there would be no poor skaters in the NHL. I’m not saying he can’t improve, but turning his main weakness into a strength, like Horvat did, is rare.

get boeser same skating coach as horvat and she (olympian) will work with him to become a much better skater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad