GDT: 11/26/16 - Wild @ Blues - 7 PM CT / 3 AM Suomi - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Koivu never tries any other move. I don't know why or why the coaches consistently put him out for shootouts because other teams study that **** and always know he's gonna pull that move. Last time I called him out on it I got harped on from posters here "because it works". Well when's the last time you saw it work?

Whatever. Got the point from the 2nd night of a B2B. Can't complain.

Koivu consistently goes out there because he's 29th in the league in having success on the shootout. 41.5% success rate.

You may not like that he has 2 moves, but the players with the fewer moves that are used repeatedly tend to have the more success.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh well. Clutch goal got us a point. Thought we were a bit slow to the puck tonight, but there were some good things, too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think last couple years have been bad for both Parise and Koivu in shootouts. Don't have numbers though. They were both almost 50% throughout the career and now they are a bit over 40%.

Staal sucks in the shootouts lol.

I think you got your numbers wrong, I remember one of them being as high as 46% before... never have the Wild had a 50% shooter that I recall.

As for lack of success the past couple years... 2yrs ago the Wild were pretty good... last year I think the Wild only had 1 or 2 shootouts total though.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think you got your numbers wrong, I remember one of them being as high as 46% before... never have the Wild had a 50% shooter that I recall.

As for lack of success the past couple years... 2yrs ago the Wild were pretty good... last year I think the Wild only had 1 or 2 shootouts total though.

Could be. Now that there's only a two or three shootouts a year, one failure stays in mind longer.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Zucker was good tonight. Too bad he doesn't have someone else on his line who can keep up with him. If he could put in 20 this year it'd great.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Scandella needs to do something. He hasn't been more than a 5/6D all year (when healthy).

Dumba and Brodin aren't on the same page, but only have limited playing time together. I can't remember if either had a good game. All I can think of is Dumba's turnover, and Brodin skating behind Dub on one of the goals.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scandella needs to do something. He hasn't been more than a 5/6D all year (when healthy).

Dumba and Brodin aren't on the same page, but only have limited playing time together. I can't remember if either had a good game. All I can think of is Dumba's turnover, and Brodin skating behind Dub on one of the goals.

I don't think Brodin and Dumba are good together. I thought Dumba was a bit fumbly with the puck tonight, but a lot of forwards seemed awkward and hesitant also...especially around our blue line.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Rust.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd like to see Haula in the shootout. Sometimes having too much offensive imagination can be a curse, and it's better to have a guy that will go in and just take the shot.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'd like to see Haula in the shootout. Sometimes having too much offensive imagination can be a curse, and it's better to have a guy that will go in and just take the shot.

Haula has the ability on a breakaway!

I wouldn't mind seeing him on a shootout, either.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah I forgot that Granlund willed Koivu's goal in.

What the hell does Koivu's goal have to do with Scandella having a down season thus far?

It's a fact that Scandella was struggling before he was injured... played ok last night but then looked to struggle again today overall.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i thought the wild played well on the 2nd half of a back 2 back. if staal or nino or zucker bury one of their glorious chances we could have won. the ref not calling a trip when spur went down leading to the blues 2nd goal was my only complaint.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd agree more if he didn't look crappy before he missed games too though.

Yep. Scandella (-5) is last on the team in +/-. Pommer (-1) is the only other Wild player in the negative. +/- is a crappy stat, but for comparison sake team wide it does have some usefulness.

Yes he's rusty, been paired with Prosser and Dumba, and isn't getting the best matchups. He just hasn't been passing the eye test for me. He's not being physical, blocking shots, or getting many of his own shots to the net.

It took 10+ games for lots of the team to get BB's system, hoping that's part of the problem for Scandella.

I didn't mind the SO lineup. Granny was the most questionable but he's been playing well and maybe it would translate. The other options were Staal, Nino, Zucker, Haula, and Pommer (would have been my choice).

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Why the hell did they pick Granlund for the shootout?

He's one of my favourite players, but shootout is not one of his strengths. I mean, I remember a few years ago the Wild had a shootout in practice. Granlund was the last one to score a goal, even Zenon Konopka scored before him. :laugh:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

He's one of my favourite players, but shootout is not one of his strengths. I mean, I remember a few years ago the Wild had a shootout in practice. Granlund was the last one to score a goal, even Zenon Konopka scored before him. :laugh:

Granlund used to be insanely good in shootouts. I really think his horrible miss in a deciding one against Sweden in the World Juniors 2012 ruined his mental game. Should check the stats, but I'm pretty sure his % fell dramatically after that.

Good news is that it's soon 5 years ago. If he gets another chance and pots it in, it might start rolling for him again. Funny thing is that he never could score in shootout practice, I remember some HIFK teammate laughing how he's always the last one to score in the practice, but come game time, it's always in. His game overall is so dependent on mind over matter so I guess it's another reflection of that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Granlund used to be insanely good in shootouts. I really think his horrible miss in a deciding one against Sweden in the World Juniors 2012 ruined his mental game. Should check the stats, but I'm pretty sure his % fell dramatically after that.

Good news is that it's soon 5 years ago. If he gets another chance and pots it in, it might start rolling for him again. Funny thing is that he never could score in shootout practice, I remember some HIFK teammate laughing how he's always the last one to score in the practice, but come game time, it's always in. His game overall is so dependent on mind over matter so I guess it's another reflection of that.

He's also an unknown for what he'll do for moves; which can be an advantage. Koivu (forehand/backhand) move is well documented.

I think it was a "gut" call by BB, the little guy has come up big in tense moments before. :dunno:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

#fireboudreau

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn

I'm jealous you've been fortunate enough to forget about Erik Christensen. I believe he was around %50-%52 in the shootout. It's not pertinent to this situation tho. I agree that every goalie knows koivus move but it honestly works more often than not.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Does Koivu actually have two moves, or just the backhand high on the glove side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad