Post-Game Talk: 11/25/16 | Canucks 1 @ Stars 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
If we had a GM that could pull off a Seguin trade, well, to his benefit instead of his detriment, there would be no way anybody around here would be crying foul. None.

DAL has the core pieces they need to compete now and later. The support has to be fixed. That is an enviable position to be in.
We had a GM pull off a similar trade in they Luongo deal, he was fired the next year, as should Dallas GM. Awful defence and goaltending and poor depth.
Wasting away prime years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Edler had 12 shot attempts... 8 blocked... Hahaha

Edler is a perfect metaphor for his coach.....if eight got blocked, he'll keep sending him out there because the ninth might get through....only question in my mind is whether they ask Edler to waive his NTC closer to the deadline....He needs a change of scenery and so do the Canucks.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
If we had a GM wasting away benns prime years like this we'd be screaming bloody murder.
Dallas are going no where

We did. His name was Brian Burke, and Dallas reminds me a lot of where the early 2000 Canucks were in that they need steady goaltending to be successful. But other than that the team is constructed pretty fantastically up and down

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Outside of some periods of play in the second, the Canucks were the better team. Fact Canucks lack scorers was evident in this one.

The Good

Megna - nice goal and setting up others all game. Showed some very good wheels and nice hands. Earning himself an extended look.

Edler - yes, he screwed up in the late going but overall was very good. Did a good job of handling people around the net and filling the defensive space given up by Stecher. Moved the puck with authority out of his end. No huge Edler fan this season but he was our strongest defenseman in his end in this game. First period was outstanding.

Horvat - nice two way game. Looking better on the PK

Burrows - right back to being the Burrows of couple of seasons ago. Plays hard everywhere and unlucky not to score. Might think of reuniting him with the Sedins as he seems our best winger ATM. Don't know that Canucks would do it, but if they are looking to move Burrows late in the season, any contender should be all over this as he would be an excellent playoff pick up.

The Bad

Gaunce - I guess if you have below zero expectations you can say he's somehow ok. Can't skate well enough to be any part of the play. Max length of time he has continuous control of the puck this season maybe two second. Skates around, sometimes bounces into opponents but never does much of anything. Others like Chaput and even LaBate have done more. For that matter, Megna in one game has done more offensively than Gaunce has all season. Why we keep him around and ignore far better players on waivers is mind blowing.

Granlund - probably the our worst player in this game. Sort of disappearing into the ether as the season has gone on. Only thing that stood out in this game was the way he consistently lost battles for the puck. (especially on the second Dallas goal) If this player isn't skating well (which he isn't) then a marked liability. Right now looks slow and weak. Maybe he has to play center.

Others

Tryamkin - Sbisa combo was again at least decent. If they can keep up the hard nosed play will be difficult to play against. I think Sbisa is firmly establishing the fact that he is a legit NHL defenseman. Canucks have to get something for him rather than watching him go away for nothing in the expansion draft. Have to love the way Tryamkin easily bumped Benn off the puck a couple of times.

Sedins had a better game. One factor for this seemed that the Dallas defensemen (and some of them are bad) were easily giving up the blue line and space in their end. There were times the Sedins very much exploited this line couldn't put away their chances.

Thought Eriksson play fell off in this game and he reverted to how he has looked most of the season. OK in the first but not much of factor after that

Chaput had his good moments but seemed to tail off as the game went on. Doubt he is used to getting this amount of high level playing time. Looks like he is working extremely hard and may be difficult for him to maintain that level of play.

If you are on board the tank cart, you probably like this loss. Such our the times.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We had a GM pull off a similar trade in they Luongo deal, he was fired the next year, as should Dallas GM. Awful defence and goaltending and poor depth.
Wasting away prime years.

Nonis' support work was well short of what Nil has done. Again, he brought in Spezza, Eaves, Hemsky, Sharp and Hudler for essentially nothing. I think you know this, which is why you only commented on the defence and goaltending.

Granted, his goalie work is bad/poor, but his work on defense is improving:

Nil has developed a top Dman in-house (Klingberg). Has another good one coming along in Honka. Signed a good one in Hamhuis. It's too bad Demers walked or that would have been a good top4. Oleksiak is like Tryamkin and Lindell is a player.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If we're just talking about offesnive ability, yes, Edler's offense has been overrated for years and people still don't seem to grasp that barely getting 30 points when being fed the most PP minutes on your team is not exactly impressive. Tanev (who people call a "black hole") has outproduced Edler at even strength every year and Edler at one point went a full calendar year without scoring 5-on-5. He just has never been all that good of an offensive player and yet we still seem to think of him that way.

When you have Salo or Garrison taking the majority of your point shots you can live with Edler as a secondary guy, but since those guys have left his lack of ability in that regard should be blindingly obvious.

Blindingly obvious is not obvious enough for the guys running this team.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
If we had a GM that could pull off a Seguin trade, well, to his benefit instead of his detriment, there would be no way anybody around here would be crying foul. None.

DAL has the core pieces they need to compete now and later. The support has to be fixed. That is an enviable position to be in.

I don't know...

Yes, they made some good moves and pick-ups in the forward position...but the D and 'tender position are a serious question mark. Ten million tied up in 'tenders alone.

10 million... They seem to be taking one step forward, and two steps back.

Edit: Issue has been addressed!

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

See, how can this game be boring when you have John Shorthouse out here dropping bombs on these fools.

Niemi thinks he’s hot stuff? Guess what, S-Bombs is gonna take you down a peg. A whole peg.

Seriously, though, that was amazing.

There is almost a quiet silence where you see Shorthouse debating dropping his hammer, then decides to just go for it.

Then to throw to commercial right away afterwards, seamlessly, like nothing had even happened?

Stone cold killer.

:laugh::laugh:

best botchford paragraph in a long time

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Gaunce - I guess if you have below zero expectations you can say he's somehow ok. Can't skate well enough to be any part of the play. Max length of time he has continuous control of the puck this season maybe two second. Skates around, sometimes bounces into opponents but never does much of anything. Others like Chaput and even LaBate have done more. For that matter, Megna in one game has done more offensively than Gaunce has all season. Why we keep him around and ignore far better players on waivers is mind blowing.

Granlund - probably the our worst player in this game. Sort of disappearing into the ether as the season has gone on. Only thing that stood out in this game was the way he consistently lost battles for the puck. (especially on the second Dallas goal) If this player isn't skating well (which he isn't) then a marked liability. Right now looks slow and weak. Maybe he has to play center.

Yeah, I'd like to believe Gaunce and Granlund have NHL upside, but then I'd also like to think I'll win the lottery and buy a Lamborghini Aventador. And a condo in Kits.

These are the players you pick up on when you haven't got and really good ones to fantasize about.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Stecher is quite a player, that confidence on the ice, skating, and offensive prowress is special. I'm excited to see how he is going to take his game to the next level, he absolutely deserves to be in the line-up.

I think Tanev needs to be traded at some point.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
EYkFqNQ.png

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Stecher is quite a player, that confidence on the ice, skating, and offensive prowress is special. I'm excited to see how he is going to take his game to the next level, he absolutely deserves to be in the line-up.

If you're suggesting Tanev needs to be traded because we have a different good RD, that's ridiculous. We need quality depth.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Or you could keep Tanev giving you the option to get Stecher more sheltered/offensive minutes. It's only Larsen or Sbisa losing their RS D position. Tanev gudbranson Stecher is a solid RS defense. Edker Hutton Tryamkin on the left with OJ eventually replacing Edler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad