Pre-Game Talk: 11/20/14 Wings @ Jets

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
From live and the replays I saw it looked like Smith started the fight. Someone please correct me if that's not the case?

Because if it is the case then I gotta say it was pretty stupid to start the team's first fight of the season up 4-0 in a meaningless game against a terrible team. Why risk injury for that **** especially when you've been injured in a fight before?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
From live and the replays I saw it looked like Smith started the fight. Someone please correct me if that's not the case?

Because if it is the case then I gotta say it was pretty stupid to start the team's first fight of the season up 4-0 in a meaningless game against a terrible team. Why risk injury for that **** especially when you've been injured in a fight before?

The guy took a run at him and planted him into the boards with a questionable hit to Smith's numbers. It wasn't a clean play, and not surprising that Smith took exception to it. Especially since I think he's been hurt by a couple of questionable hits in the past.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I think it was a result of the blue jackets starting to get chippy after sheahans goal. Stupid but totally understandable.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
On defense:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-DeKeyser
Lashoff-Ouellet
Based on the skate it looks like Kindl scratched for third game in row.

Kindl is definitely on the outs with Babcock for some reason

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
On defense:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-DeKeyser
Lashoff-Ouellet

Wooohooo. Now lets keep that spot XO

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Petr the Great will shut the mother ****ing door tonight. Can't wait to watch the game.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
On defense:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-DeKeyser
Lashoff-Ouellet

Hopefully that means when Smith gets back, Kindl is gone.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Foligno is a punk, he ran smith along the boards late in the game just to stir things up

i am glad smith fought him, more guys need to stand up for themselves and each other, broken hands or not.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Foligno is a punk, he ran smith along the boards late in the game just to stir things up

i am glad smith fought him, more guys need to stand up for themselves and each other, broken hands or not.

If you let yourself get sucked into a fight... It's dumb. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If your team is winning and the other team is running around trying to start ****... fighting is giving them exactly what they want.

If your team is losing and you're frustrated... fighting is certainly not going to score you any goals.

Fighting someone after they take a run at someone isn't going to magically turn back time to make that run not happen.

And none of that even touches on the instance in this case... a completely avoidable injury. Smith is finally not looking like a complete dumpster fire. Perfect time to sit a week+ because he was dumb. And that's all it is, a further indicator of Smith's problems from day one. He's not very bright.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
If you let yourself get sucked into a fight... It's dumb. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If your team is winning and the other team is running around trying to start ****... fighting is giving them exactly what they want.

If your team is losing and you're frustrated... fighting is certainly not going to score you any goals.

Fighting someone after they take a run at someone isn't going to magically turn back time to make that run not happen.

And none of that even touches on the instance in this case... a completely avoidable injury. Smith is finally not looking like a complete dumpster fire. Perfect time to sit a week+ because he was dumb. And that's all it is, a further indicator of Smith's problems from day one. He's not very bright.

This. Solid post.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

He's a young pro-athlete. He probably got pissed and wanted to unleash. It's not necessarily saying anything about his intelligence, probably (hopefully) more about his maturity.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I agree with most of your post, but this part could certainly be debated.

If a fight puts you and an opponent in the box, and your opponent is more skilled than you are, then the fight resulted in an advantage for your team that could potentially translate to a goal scored.

If a player is chirping and hitting and agitating your superstar teammates all night long and you put your own health on the line to knock a bunch of his teeth out, maybe your teammates appreciate the hell out of it and get all riled up and potentially score a goal as a result of the emotional upturn.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I think Smith fighting was the right thing to do. Hindsight, yeah maybe not getting hurt because of a fight you started when you're up by 4 is STUPID but I think the Wings (as a team) need to stand up for themselves more and show, "yes we're winning by 4 but we aren't going to take any BS from you." Making a message like that, if you're down by 4 or up by 8, is a big thing to me and is always something I've felt Smith has been good with.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I agree with most of your post, but this part could certainly be debated.

If a fight puts you and an opponent in the box, and your opponent is more skilled than you are, then the fight resulted in an advantage for your team that could potentially translate to a goal scored.

If a player is chirping and hitting and agitating your superstar teammates all night long and you put your own health on the line to knock a bunch of his teeth out, maybe your teammates appreciate the hell out of it and get all riled up and potentially score a goal as a result of the emotional upturn.

Sure, if Smith can take a 1st liner/1st D with him. Whatever.

As for the latter, I'm sure your teammates would greatly appreciate a big hit, nice pass, dominant work along the boards, nifty goal, etc... Getting bogged down in a fight... meh.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Smith fighting was the right thing to do. Hindsight, yeah maybe not getting hurt because of a fight you started when you're up by 4 is STUPID but I think the Wings (as a team) need to stand up for themselves more and show, "yes we're winning by 4 but we aren't going to take any BS from you." Making a message like that, if you're down by 4 or up by 8, is a big thing to me and is always something I've felt Smith has been good with.

Not really. Smith fighting shows the other teams that eventually someone will crack. Ignore it and it will go away. React and teams will just keep trying to agitate.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

There are ways to stick up for yourself without fighting someone. And while you could send that message of not backing down, you might also send the message that you are emotional and manipulable instead of professional and in control.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

after playing the game for decades I believe their are times in hockey when fighting is called for

when the other team while losing is taking runs at you or your teammates for no other reason than to injure or stir up trouble then its justified. smith stood up for himself and showed he wont be pushed around or intimidated and will stand up for himself.

its unfortunate that he got hurt it really is, but in the long run it will serve his career better then the 3-5 games he might miss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad