Post-Game Talk: 11/18/17 | Blues 4 @ Canucks 3 | OTL

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Its a bit weird to see people rip Gudbranson in one of his better games. I thought he wasn't bad last game too but people are using the game day threads to call for his head and singling him out

Reactions: Verbalyst

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its a bit weird to see people rip Gudbranson in one of his better games. I thought he wasn't bad last game too but people are using the game day threads to call for his head and singling him out

He was legit awful against Vegas.

Tonight he was much better but even at that nearly lost the game in the 3rd when he was colossally slow to see his man get in behind him to create a 2-on-1 that Nilsson made a great save on.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He was legit awful against Vegas.

Tonight he was much better but even at that nearly lost the game in the 3rd when he was colossally slow to see his man get in behind him to create a 2-on-1 that Nilsson made a great save on.

I think if you look at his play relative to other dmen on the team, he hasn't really looked that bad. He'll never be a good Corsi guy but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't able to defend and when paired with the right player, he can be effective in his own way. He was the only plus dman in both games and while that's not necessarily indicative of play, it does mean something.

Its easy to find his mistakes but all other dmen on the team were making pretty bad mistakes themselves. Tanev seems to be the only dman that can play mistake free game in and game out

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think if you look at his play relative to other dmen on the team, he hasn't really looked that bad. He'll never be a good Corsi guy but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't able to defend and when paired with the right player, he can be effective in his own way. He was the only plus dman in both games and while that's not necessarily indicative of play, it does mean something.

Its easy to find his mistakes but all other dmen on the team were making pretty bad mistakes themselves. Tanev seems to be the only dman that can play mistake free game in and game out

It's mostly indicative of how well Hutton is playing. He's been the best player on the ice for us in the last two games and is carrying that pairing.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Boeser is great, holy shit. St. Louis Blues Legend Nilsson looked fantastic, too. This team is a lot more exciting than the rest of the league is giving them credit.

My best friend is going to college at UBC (We're both from STL area) and he said the arena was super fun and y'all are cool as heck. Good on ya, folks. I hope I can get my bud to get me a Canucks hat for my bald head soon.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It's mostly indicative of how well Hutton is playing. He's been the best player on the ice for us in the last two games and is carrying that pairing.

Yeah. I'm not sure about that. I don't doubt that Hutton is the best dman of that pairing and on the team currently but if guddy was as horrible as stated, I don't think Hutton is good enough to carry him. Tanev might be able to pull it off but Hutton isn't there yet although I think he's learned a bit from tanev.

I actually think they have a bit of chemistry right now. Gudbranson defers to Hutton for moving the puck out of the zone to compensate for his poor puck skills and that seems to be working for the most part. All the while, he's able to tip picks away with his long reach or block shots with his large body or occasionally take someone out of play

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Liked it enough to play him 9 minutes

Only nine minutes? Someone needs to explain this to me, like I'm a 10 year old child.

As I'm only 9, I need advanced thought on how this is happening.. ;)

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Hey all, Blues fan coming in peace. I just came in to say that Boeser’s amazing and I think Green is a darn good coach from what I saw. I liked how he handled the transition game.

I go to UBC, so I have a soft-spot for the Canucks. I can’t wait to see Pettersson join this team because I like the direction.

Reactions: Ozone

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The Baertchi-Horvat-Boeser line looked amazing at times during this game. The one shift midway through the third period where they hemmed the Blues in their own zone for what seemed like eternity was reminiscent of the Sedin cycle in its prime. Hopefully, the biggest improvement moving forward as they mature will be their consistency.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Boeser is great, holy ****. St. Louis Blues Legend Nilsson looked fantastic, too. This team is a lot more exciting than the rest of the league is giving them credit.

My best friend is going to college at UBC (We're both from STL area) and he said the arena was super fun and y'all are cool as heck. Good on ya, folks. I hope I can get my bud to get me a Canucks hat for my bald head soon.

Hey all, Blues fan coming in peace. I just came in to say that Boeser’s amazing and I think Green is a darn good coach from what I saw. I liked how he handled the transition game.

I go to UBC, so I have a soft-spot for the Canucks. I can’t wait to see Pettersson join this team because I like the direction.

Do you guys know each other?

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
Watched the game a little later tonight. My impression is, well, the Canucks tried hard, and they could've won the game. A bounce here or there (or a call), and the score's different. Then again, an unfavorable bounce or two, and we could have a blowout against.
The Canucks will have a whole lot of nights like this. It's the game-plan. Try to turn every game, every possession into a fifty/fifty battle. The Canucks don't have the talent to win games outright, so they have to work hard, and fight for every possession. But as tonight shows, a gap in talent ends up with a result like tonight.
Some thoughts:
  • The Canucks weren't horribly outplayed by the eye test nor by metric. The score reflects the play on the ice, too. Honestly, though, what happened was, the Canucks raised their level of play, and the Blues played down to the Canucks' level of play at times, but turned up their level of play when they needed to.
  • The players (Eriksson, Sutter, Dorsett, Edler, Pouliot) matching up with the Schenn-Schwartz-Tarensenko line were absolutely murdered. This checking line, and the pairing both need to be changed up. Unfortunately, due to the roster construction, they have no other options. Who's an actual two-way player on the Canucks roster? Eriksson? For the forwards, he's about the only two-way player left, and he's just returned from injury. On defense, Edler's probably the only two-way defender. And he's just returned from injury, too.
  • If Green wants an actual shutdown line, he should probably use an Eriksson-Burmistrov-Gaunce line. I doubt it though. It moves both Sutter and Dorsett down the lineup, and the coach seems to have some sort of fixation on making this line work.
  • On defense, for the next game I would like Hutton-Stetcher (if he returns), Edler-Biega, and Del Zotto-Pouliot. Hutton's stepped up his game this season, and should be able ease Stetcher back into the lineup. Biega's been a bit of a glue guy, making the Canucks' defensive pairings work to a degree. I'd like to keep Gudbransson out of the lineup entirely. The actual lineup though will probably be Hutton-Gudbransson, Del Zotto-Stetcher, and Edler-Pouliot.
  • The Sedins had some vintage Sedin shifts in the first period, but when Virtanen's level of play dipped, they stopped being a factor. The Canucks really need another two-way player who can play the right wing so that the Sedins can play third periods.
  • The Edler-Pouliot pairing was broken up in the third, thankfully. Edler's getting back into the flow of things, but still looks a bit weak on his skates, getting knocked down in puck battles he usually dominates. He's regaining form quickly, but he's still probably two to three weeks off from reaching his normal level of play.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Seems realistic that Boeser is legit our best player next yr, dude is good. Not much else to say. Sleep tite yall!

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Just watched the highlights. Did I imagine things, or did I see a goal by Vanek called back because the ref thought the Canucks did a hand pass, but it was actually a Blue? So that's a blown call that changed the outcome of the game, no? Went looking on the main board for a thread about it, but nothing. Maybe I did imagine it....

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
And the battle of the crease continues. Is it a Canuck thing to always root for the backup? Not seeing the same nitpicking being done when Nils plays as when Marky does. It was the same last year, but Miller was the one being scrutinized.

Boeser is Love.

Our D is not very good without Tanman.

Weird one to sit the Sedin line. They were good I thought. Virtanen deserved that highlight reel goal but the hockey gods were not in a giving mood I guess.

Much improved since Vegas. Good.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
thats what i thought but it was actually a delayed penalty and they ruled it st louis possession when it touched his glove

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Had a similar feeling that I've had for the past few weeks last night. Sure they were close but even when they had the lead I didn't think they were safe. I felt the Blues could just turn it on and start to dominate. And 5-on-5 that's what I think happened as the game went on.

The Blues D-men scored more goals last night than the 6 guys dressed for the Canucks have scored all year. Out if the many issues Benning has the blueline makeup is quickly moving up the list...it's like Burke and goaltenders.

Boeser gaining confidence but needs to clean up some of his college decision making. I mentioned early in the game his decision making near the blueline in the offensive zone is suspect and it happened again last night. I think it is just adapting to NHL players being faster, smarter and better at anticipating. I don't think it's a big deal and will sort itself out.

I'm not sure I'll ever u derstand Boeser sitting to start the season or the Virtanen stuff. I don't think at this point Virtanen becomes much more than a 10-15 goal third liner but for goodness sakes just let the kid play to see where the ceiling actually is. The only thing they are doing is guaranteeing a low ceiling. So much wanted cap space on crap or older equivalent players that somehow get to play everyday.

Pouliot...still seems to be the 6/7 guy that needs protecting...on a blueline that isn't good to begin with. As with any D-man close to or in the NHL he will be capable of competent play that looks top 4 but it won't be sustained over the long haul.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Just watched the highlights. Did I imagine things, or did I see a goal by Vanek called back because the ref thought the Canucks did a hand pass, but it was actually a Blue? So that's a blown call that changed the outcome of the game, no? Went looking on the main board for a thread about it, but nothing. Maybe I did imagine it....
Two things were going on on that play. The play by play guys were going on about it being blown dead from a glove hand pass that was thought to be from Boeser - the linesman motioned hand pass. That was simply a wrong call because on replay it was clearly the St Louis player's hand on the puck. The second was that there was a delayed penalty on St Louis. The St Louis player's hand on puck itself could have been interpreted as possession thereby causing the play to be blown dead. So, either way the play should have been blown dead. The actuall controversy should be whether the St Louis player actually had possession. It's arguable.

Oh, and one final thought....Boeser is good.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I thought Pouliot had a pretty strong road trip. It's too bad he followed that up with arguably his two worst performances of the season vs Vegas and St. Louis on home ice. He needs to take a seat whenever Stecher and/or Edler come back.

Agree with the sentiment that Virtanen needs more freedom to spread his wings. For that matter, so do the Twins. They aren't the first line anymore, but they sure as hell don't deserve to be the fourth.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Our d sucks and is costing us games but maybe is all for the tank i dunno but i think this is how Id rank our d:

Tanev #1
Edler #3/4
De Zotto #4
Hutton #5
Stecher #5/6
Biega #6/7
Pouliot #6/7
Gudbranson #7/8

Thats pretty crappy and forces our goalies to play like best games theyve ever played and quiet often enough its still not good enough.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I can only guess Green was influenced by the "Dorsett for MVP" chants at the arena last night (re: he got more icetime than either Sedin even if you take out all his time on the PK - wtf?)

I can see why coaches like Dorsett and want to reward him. He tries his guts out on every shift. His effort is woefully ineffective most of the time, but his work ethic is top notch.

That said, no one has ever questioned the Twins' effort level either. And last night, Dorsett played twice as much in the 3rd/OT as they did. To quote Botchford, I don't want to live in that world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad