Post-Game Talk: 11/16/19 | #18 RANGERS @ panthers

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
The Rangers need to go back to penalty killing school. In the last two games both Tampa and Florida ate us up on the power play. Those two power play goals today came too easy.

Part of our issue it seems to me is the extended injury to Zibanejad who not only is our best player but also our best penalty killing forward.

At this point too I think Andersson should get a ticket to Hartford. He's not playing enough and he's not playing that well.

The Chytil 2nd line were pretty much a no show. Howden is a frustrating player at time too. He had a lot of good opportunities in this one but that said I think he ****ed up on the Hoffman goal. Turned the wrong way away from where the play was going to. The 4th line literally is non-existent. With Zibanejad and Kakko out our forward depth gets really weak. That said--we weren't terrible--just not good enough. It was a competitive game.

Panarin is our best player.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I too prefer poor skating while being undersized and not-gritty defensemen over the defenseman with the greatest blend of skating, hockey IQ & grit in the league.

TBH, in this case I have absolutely no f***ing idea which defenseman you’re shitting on and which one you’re defending.

P.S. Why do you feel the need to shit on one of the (better) Rangers to defend another anyway????

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If I see Howden one more time receive a pass on the boards with time and space in the O zone and open teammates EVERYWHERE, only for him to turn his back to the oncoming defender and WAIT FOR HIM TO ENGAGE before trying to make a play, and inevitably having the puck exit the zone shortly after, then I don’t know man

Reactions: Rongomania and bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If I see Howden one more time receive a pass on the boards with time and space in the O zone and open teammates EVERYWHERE, only for him to turn his back to the oncoming defender and WAIT FOR HIM TO ENGAGE before trying to make a play, and inevitably having the puck exit the zone shortly after, then I don’t know man
Haha perfectly said. Don’t remember the period but he did that same exact thing last night . He had the puck along the boards in the o zone with plenty of room and time proceeded to turn his back to the net and inevitably wait to get pressured and a stripped of the puck.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Games like this don’t bother me so much. It’s the blow outs like in Tampa where they have no clue what’s going on. Kept this game close till the end but did not get that one extra favorable bounce in the end. This team needs to get Mika back, ASAP. The PK has been putrid since he’s been out. Really showing how much we are missing his two way game.

Reactions: egelband

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Games like this don’t bother me so much. It’s the blow outs like in Tampa where they have no clue what’s going on. Kept this game close till the end but did not get that one extra favorable bounce in the end. This team needs to get Mika back, ASAP. The PK has been putrid since he’s been out. Really showing how much we are missing his two way game.

Huge part of this team in so many ways.

Watching breads consistency through Mika's absence has been one of the lone bright spots to watching this team at least.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
DeAngelo is going to get us something really nice in a trade next summer.
Trading him would be moronic.
Agree. What would we want that is better than a really good offensive defenseman in today's NHL? Not to mention his quarterbacking of PP? His defense isn't noticeably horrific, but that's not what his specialty is. If he can be at least adequate in the defensive scheme of things......we "should" eventually have a solid defensive player along side of him. That's how that works.
I mean, isn't that why we originally got Shatty?
Wonder how many teams would DIE for ADA after a solid 2019/20 season.......I guess that was your original point, huh?
Trading him would be moronic.

Worth repeating.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
What do we think his value is at this point? I really have no idea. On pace for 60+ points, but pretty bad defensively and known as a bad character guy.

What bad character? He isn't a locker room cancer. His teammates seem to like him. Those incidents with referees and teammates are all in the past. Nothing like that in NY so far. So what is the issue? That he likes Trump?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I think some posters on here would trade Deangelo for a young offensive RD prospect with 68 point potential. They'd probably add a first to that too.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huge part of this team in so many ways.

Watching breads consistency through Mika's absence has been one of the lone bright spots to watching this team at least.

The developments of Fox, Buchnevich, Chytil, and DeAngelo this season have all been positives so far.

I don’t like Quinn benching Buchnevich after that stupid penalty. Everyone takes those from time to time. But 15 points in 18 games and a plus 7. Quinn’s Sin Bin seems to work but he needs to be a little bit easier in some cases. But I look past all this and think him and Quinn have a good relationship. Maybe that’s why he is harder on him ,expects more.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The developments of Fox, Buchnevich, Chytil, and DeAngelo this season have all been positives so far.

I don’t like Quinn benching Buchnevich after that stupid penalty. Everyone takes those from time to time. But 15 points in 18 games and a plus 7. Quinn’s Sin Bin seems to work but he needs to be a little bit easier in some cases. But I look past all this and think him and Quinn have a good relationship. Maybe that’s why he is harder on him ,expects more.

Normally, I’d agree but after the PK disaster last game (and I’m sure they specifically talked about how to not take one against FL before the game), and another GA on Buchnevich’s penalty - I understand the thought process.

BTW Haley earned a permanent benching and a waiver.

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
What bad character? He isn't a locker room cancer. His teammates seem to like him. Those incidents with referees and teammates are all in the past. Nothing like that in NY so far. So what is the issue? That he likes Trump?
In interviews with the team, everyone on the team seems to love tony and think he’s funny. I have yet to see any bad character from him. I think he got in trouble for chirping calling someone a f*g, which I get is offensive but I’m sure it was nothing more than chirping. If people still think liking trump is bad character, then I hate to break it but that means by that logic about half the country has bad character, which is a grim perspective to hold.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Normally, I’d agree but after the PK disaster last game (and I’m sure they specifically talked about how to not take one against FL before the game), and another GA on Buchnevich’s penalty - I understand the thought process.

BTW Haley earned a permanent benching and a waiver.

Yeah Quinn was pissed on the bench. Makes sense about Haley. I think the message has been sent loud and clear to Buch also, well we hope. Lol

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah Quinn was pissed on the bench. Makes sense about Haley. I think the message has been sent loud and clear to Buch also, well we hope. Lol

Benching Buchnevich was a message to the whole team and somehow Haley (who has one of the smallest margins for errors) missed it.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Benching Buchnevich was a message to the whole team and somehow Haley (who has one of the smallest margins for errors) missed it.

yeah they have to stop with these penalties. Different game and they have a better chance to win it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
By the end of this year Panarin will have 5 years (ie his whole career thus far) better than Zibby's best year.
Panarin is a real quality player, but it's not fair to Zibanejad to compare it like that. Not when he gets injured at the start of the season every f***ing time. Mika has looked hot as coal every start and then he gets an injury. Unbelievable.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Panarin is a real quality player, but it's not fair to Zibanejad to compare it like that. Not when he gets injured at the start of the season every ****ing time. Mika has looked hot as coal every start and then he gets an injury. Unbelievable.

Availability is an important quality when comparing players.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn

Not to get political, but regardless of whether he likes or dislikes Trump, the fact that he's extremely outspoken about him one way or another is the character issue, not that he likes him. Being extremely outspoken about the most divisive issue in the country is not a good thing if you're trying to prevent distractions and drama on the team. What happens if we have a player or two come out in 2020 saying they hate Trump and support his opponent? The media will pit them against each other and that creates instant storylines that an organization does NOT want.

Last edited:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Lundqvist is barely 20 years old. He’s having his first real breakout season in Sweden he realistically could still be 2 or 3 years away. Why were penciling him into the lineup over DeAngelo is crazy.

you clearly just read the first sentence and not the entire post where i clearly state circa 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad