Post-Game Talk: 11/15/2014 Winnipeg at Nashville (HNIC/HFC/PRBH/ATRN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hard fought win, but as for the abysmal PP, we've got no net presence. Nothing but pucks bouncing off the defenders or easy catches for the goalies. Occasionally we get a swat at a rebound, but since we're coming in from the side, the defense has time to react before we get to it.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Seven consecutive home games without a PP goal ... the lowest home PP% in the league .. two shorties allowed so far this season. Luckily we didn't take a penalty so our PK didn't factor in.

This team really needs secondary scoring. Right now it is Forsberg, Neal, Smith, Ribs, and occasionally Weber. The result of that limited scoring depth is the need to keep the opposition to two or fewer goals in regulation, then pull off a one goal win (8 of 11 with a one goal margin) ... if we give up three goals, the team loses 80% of the time this season with the one win after giving up three goals coming in a shootout ... no ROW when giving up three or more, giving up points in the standings every game.

If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass every time it hops. My dad said that maybe 3 times when I was a kid, but it's one of my all time favorites.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
An ugly win beats a beautiful loss every time.

Commenters were saying that from start to finish this was Jarnkrok's best game as a Pred. "Peg had been playing very good hockey.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
When you find a way to win every time, you still end up winning.

"Winning is not a some-of-the-time thing. It is an all-of-the-time thing. You don't do things right some of the time, you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Some coach from a small town in Wisconsin

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Enough with the personal shots. If you don't like what a certain poster has to say, you can either debate the post itself or ignore it. Any further personal shots will result in infractions.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Seven consecutive home games without a PP goal ... the lowest home PP% in the league .. two shorties allowed so far this season. Luckily we didn't take a penalty so our PK didn't factor in.

This team really needs secondary scoring. Right now it is Forsberg, Neal, Smith, Ribs, and occasionally Weber. The result of that limited scoring depth is the need to keep the opposition to two or fewer goals in regulation, then pull off a one goal win (8 of 11 with a one goal margin) ... if we give up three goals, the team loses 80% of the time this season with the one win after giving up three goals coming in a shootout ... no ROW when giving up three or more, giving up points in the standings every game.
They also lead the league in ROW which despite all of their flaws is all that matters.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
The new combo "young line" of Wilson, Jarnkrok and Smith seemed to look better as the game went on. The "old man" line of Jokinen, Cullen and Roy looked about as expected. Not a pretty game and the pp is just awful. Josi and Weber need to go back with Neal, Ribeiro and Forsberg. Neither unit looked good at all and the Jets pk was anticipating everything. The lack of penalties was surprising and there were a few times I thought/said "how did we not get called for that."

Still a win is a win and gets us 2 points closer to a playoff spot come April.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I took advantage of the 6pm start (We should have more of those), and drove in from Knoxville for my first game this year.

What a snoozer. A win is a win though.

Jarnkrok looks like he's finally putting it together - the points will come if he keeps giving that effort.

I thought Neal's disallowed goal hit a Peg player then bounced to Ribiero.

Chiming in on the goal song - man, that is awkward when the crowd starts to chant.

It looked like they had a bit of a hangover from St.Lou, and I think any team more game than Winnipeg would have buried us last night, but we'll take the 2 points. Over the course of 82, we're bound to have games like last night.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
In every sport, I've always felt that if people say a team "just finds a way to win", there are probably issues going on that a team is winning in spite of. Or dare I say, have no business having the success they are.

As far as that goes for us, our PP is a joke but you have to assume that it'll come around at some point, which makes us even more formidable than we are now. In the mean time, let's just keep "finding ways to win" and take things one game at a time.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I took advantage of the 6pm start (We should have more of those), and drove in from Knoxville for my first game this year.

What a snoozer. A win is a win though.

Jarnkrok looks like he's finally putting it together - the points will come if he keeps giving that effort.

Chiming in on the goal song - man, that is awkward when the crowd starts to chant.

It looked like they had a bit of a hangover from St.Lou, and I think any team more game than Winnipeg would have buried us last night, but we'll take the 2 points. Over the course of 82, we're bound to have games like last night.

I thought that happened as well, but the video evidence was inconclusive therefore the ruling on the ice stood

Yeah, a for effort, f for execution

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

It doesn't matter if it deflects off a player or official ... it matters if the opposition gets possession or not. Rule 80 ... "Batting the puck above the normal height of the shoulders with a stick is prohibited. When a puck is struck with a high stick and subsequently comes into the possession and control of a player from the offending team (including the player who made contact with the puck), either directly or deflected off any player or official, there shall be a whistle."

Once in a while you might consider starting one of these with "Happy for the win but....".

It doesn't matter if I put that in a post, so I saved myself the keystrokes. I've said repeatedly that the wins are great ... how the team is getting them isn't.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Enough with the personal shots. If you don't like what a certain poster has to say, you can either debate the post itself or ignore it. Any further personal shots will result in infractions.

Agreed.

This is getting out of hand, and it needs to stop. Debating is fine and welcomed. Make it about the post and not the poster. If you can't do that, we invite you to use the ignore features or to simply stop participating.

It ends here.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I always felt that good and bad teams have good games and bad games.

The good teams, more often than the bad teams, fin a way to win those bad games.

As someone said earlier, an ugly win is worth 2 points.
And nothing is more devastating for the opposing team than an ugly win and/or an unbeatable goalie.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
We need to move Neal and Forsberg onto separate lines for awhile especially on the PP. Try some little adjustments now so teams can't shut us down with all the game tapes and shot mapping that they are putting together in their war rooms. Teams are taking us serious now so they will start using all the under handed frustrating cheap tactics like St Louis's Steve Ott . We should have someone different on the top lines once in awhile to have a chat with these guys so they can't figure out which line to harass which causes confusion on their bench.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
We need to move Neal and Forsberg onto separate lines for awhile especially on the PP. Try some little adjustments now so teams can't shut us down with all the game tapes and shot mapping that they are putting together in their war rooms. Teams are taking us serious now so they will start using all the under handed frustrating cheap tactics like St Louis's Steve Ott . We should have someone different on the top lines once in awhile to have a chat with these guys so they can't figure out which line to harass which causes confusion on their bench.

I say don't mess with a good thing. It should be positive that the opposition needs to react, coaching wise, to the preds top line. Don't necessarily need to micro-manage in this case. Now if they grow stagnant over the course of 3-5 games at even strength, then sure, changes should probably be made. I think they ride the Ribeiro line as long as they can. Atleast until Fisher returns who could provide some of that secondary scoring (granted maybe not right away).

The top powerplay unit should be stacked up. If it's a chemistry issue, or if you want a different look, change it up. However in the long run, you should have your most talented players on that first unit. That's my opinion anyway.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I certainly would not break up Neal and Forsberg unless they stop producing. One reliable line is better than two mediocre lines. If other teams focus on shutting down that line and are successful, and the other lines dont step up as a result of that focus, then breaking them up would make sense

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
Ribiero line is the second power play unit as of the last 5 games and nothing is going on with any production at all . Teams know to put their sticks on Neal in the middle and know Forsberg will carry the puck until he is forced into the boards. Robiero hasn't got the young legs or the body strength to constantly battle along the boards .On the PP Neal doesn't touch the puck because he is standing still covered, but on 5 on 5 he hides and flys around behind the net and in the slot. They score most of their goals 5 on 5 on quick rushes but on the PP the stop and set up shop is not working. I'm surprised they don't make the adjustments instead of hoping it will happen because of even strength results.

ViperXX79

Aug 10, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Ribiero line is the second power play unit as of the last 5 games and nothing is going on with any production at all . Teams know to put their sticks on Neal in the middle and know Forsberg will carry the puck until he is forced into the boards. Robiero hasn't got the young legs or the body strength to constantly battle along the boards .On the PP Neal doesn't touch the puck because he is standing still covered, but on 5 on 5 he hides and flys around behind the net and in the slot. They score most of their goals 5 on 5 on quick rushes but on the PP the stop and set up shop is not working. I'm surprised they don't make the adjustments instead of hoping it will happen because of even strength results.

I sort of think Jarnkrok between Neal and FF9 might be better on the powerplay. Jarnkrok is great along the boards with his quickness and ability to battle. Also seems to be able to make things happen when he's not asked to be on a grind line.

Also Roy is the best PK'er on the other team. His numerous turnovers on the PP are getting about as old as his even strength turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad