GDT: 11/15/16 - Flames @ Wild - 7 PM CT / 3 AM Suomi - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I think the most disappointing part of all of this is the fact that the team took what 6 penalties? I've played plenty of games with horrible referring but you need to know when to toe the line. I feel like the second got out of control and the wild players didn't react well. It's a game against a bottom half of the league team that we have dominated recently. No reason to get so upset over some bad referring and take more penalties. Felt like some penalties were results of pissed off players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Staal's and Brodin's penalties were just bad luck, and Stewart took a guy with him. Dumba's was the most egregious, but I have to say I wasn't crazy about how a penalty wasn't called on the guy who ran Doobs.

We can criticize the refs all we want, but we keep losing games to some of the worst teams in the league because we aren't scoring, not because of bad calls.

Our goaltending has been excellent, our D very good, in spite of being down Scandella, and we aren't being outplayed up front. We just have a hard time scoring. I'm not exactly sure why;

- Yeobot habits are very hard to break?

- we just aren't a talented bunch offensively?

- our love of the possession game ( I.e. Backpasses, D to d passing, etc.) allows the oppo to get back on D?

- we fail to attack the slot areas, preferring to cycle along the boards and play below the end red line.

- we can't score on breakaways.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Well, Staal's and Brodin's penalties were just bad luck, and Stewart took a guy with him. Dumba's was the most egregious, but I have to say I wasn't crazy about how a penalty wasn't called on the guy who ran Doobs.

We can criticize the refs all we want, but we keep losing games to some of the worst teams in the league because we aren't scoring, not because of bad calls.

Our goaltending has been excellent, our D very good, in spite of being down Scandella, and we aren't being outplayed up front. We just have a hard time scoring. I'm not exactly sure why;

- Yeobot habits are very hard to break?

- we just aren't a talented bunch offensively?

- our love of the possession game ( I.e. Backpasses, D to d passing, etc.) allows the oppo to get back on D?

- we fail to attack the slot areas, preferring to cycle along the boards and play below the end red line.

- we can't score on breakaways.

I'd pick that as the major issue. They are great at battling in the corners and cycling the puck behind the net. The issue is when they finally come away cleanly with the puck all the forwards are in the corners or behind the net. There's no threat to score. I don't know if it's what Bruce wants, or if it's part of Yeo's focus on holding the puck more than trying to score, but they need more guys in position to actually score.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
at some point you have to look at the gm & what is "the plan" i find it hard to believe when fletch was hired he didnt layout a plan & convince CL he was the right person for the job. i thought after the 100 point season we turned the corner but i guess i missed something. our forward group isnt good enough. changes need to be made and we cant just say the young guns will keep getting better. i think that ship has sailed.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
They still aren't strong offensively up the middle. Staal has walked in off the street after 2-3 years of looking kinda rough and has easily become their best center. I'm not a Koivu hater at all, he simply is who he is. One the whole, I'd say that they are an above average bunch offensively but with terrible balance. They are talented in the same ways. One old school sniper in this mix could make a huge difference.

IMHO

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal has been more than we hoped for. Coyle is a force out there, but is not a big time scorer. If Parise and Koivu can provide average seasons( for them), we might be alright scoring wise, though Nino has to start producing if he continues to get time with such good linemates.

trying not to go into my trading D for forward rant... I'm sure everyone's sick of it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
They still aren't strong offensively up the middle. Staal has walked in off the street after 2-3 years of looking kinda rough and has easily become their best center. I'm not a Koivu hater at all, he simply is who he is. One the whole, I'd say that they are an above average bunch offensively but with terrible balance. They are talented in the same ways. One old school sniper in this mix could make a huge difference.

IMHO

Scoring is always at a premium, but right now even more than ever. A guy like JVR can be had, it seems. If a good goal scorer can't be had, even for a Dman +( which is likely), then I'd rather that the Wild go after a top notch young prospect. There is an element of risk involved( look at Keller's injury, and both the Strome's lack of productivity), but the chances of getting a true elite scorer that way are at least possible, whereas trading for an elite scorer right now is near impossible, unless there are a bunch of red flags.

Just getting another complimentary scorer, albeit for a lesser price...I can listen to that approach, but it feels like more of the same ...

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Scoring is always at a premium, but right now even more than ever. A guy like JVR can be had, it seems. If a good goal scorer can't be had, even for a Dman +( which is likely), then I'd rather that the Wild go after a top notch young prospect. There is an element of risk involved( look at Keller's injury, and both the Strome's lack of productivity), but the chances of getting a true elite scorer that way are at least possible, whereas trading for an elite scorer right now is near impossible, unless there are a bunch of red flags.

Just getting another complimentary scorer, albeit for a lesser price...I can listen to that approach, but it feels like more of the same ...

Yup, agreed. Russo has mentioned the interest in Dvorak more than once....he seems like the perfect target within your scenario above. I'm sure the price is steep but I'd be tempted to pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad