GDT: #11 - 11/03/16 | oilers @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Are the Oilers overachieving in a big way this year, or what?

Yes and no.

We weren't as bad of a team as we were last year. Huge injuries to McDavid and Klefbom, along with RNH and Eberle also getting injured essentially ended our season right then and there.

A healthy Klefbom, Adam Larsson, and incredible play from Kris Russell have our defence looking very good thus far. Nurse is starting to come into his own and taking control of the play at times. He is learning how to pick his spots of when to throw a big hit or make a safer player.

We are giving up shots but not many of them are high danger. I'm sure you saw a lot of Adam Larsson last year so this might not be a surprise, but to us Oilers fans it was - that he is an incredible defenceman. He kills like every play the opponent is trying to make, and his presence does a lot more for our group than Taylor Hall did.

Lucic and Eberle look terrible thus far. For the first 5 or so games they looked like world beaters but that dried up. What was supposed to be our greatest asset is currently our biggest weakness - scoring goals.

I would say we should be a bit lower in the standings, but not too much. This is a good team. Our defence has been awful a lot of years and that is what was keeping us in the basement.

Good luck tonight. You and Montreal are seemingly the two best teams in the NHL right now, so it will be a big test for us.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I was going to say good luck tonight, but then I watched the highlights of your last couple games.

We need all the luck, your team is playing too well right now.

Should be a fun game, I hope.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes and no.

We weren't as bad of a team as we were last year. Huge injuries to McDavid and Klefbom, along with RNH and Eberle also getting injured essentially ended our season right then and there.

A healthy Klefbom, Adam Larsson, and incredible play from Kris Russell have our defence looking very good thus far. Nurse is starting to come into his own and taking control of the play at times. He is learning how to pick his spots of when to throw a big hit or make a safer player.

We are giving up shots but not many of them are high danger. I'm sure you saw a lot of Adam Larsson last year so this might not be a surprise, but to us Oilers fans it was - that he is an incredible defenceman. He kills like every play the opponent is trying to make, and his presence does a lot more for our group than Taylor Hall did.

Lucic and Eberle look terrible thus far. For the first 5 or so games they looked like world beaters but that dried up. What was supposed to be our greatest asset is currently our biggest weakness - scoring goals.

I would say we should be a bit lower in the standings, but not too much. This is a good team. Our defence has been awful a lot of years and that is what was keeping us in the basement.

Good luck tonight. You and Montreal are seemingly the two best teams in the NHL right now, so it will be a big test for us.

q0Kyb.gif

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
McDavid was put thru the ringer in the Leaf game...they took it to him...bumping him at every whistle and even had him in a headlock for a few seconds in a scrum . It was a team effort for TO...I don't see our team being able to do that .

Leafs had Polak and Kadri and Komarov /plus another Russian kid for the most part being antagonoists on every shift . We don't have that type of guy on the blueline or on the forward crew ....well...unless Kreider pushes the envelop .

BUT....you have to keep in mind that you likely will have to deal with Kassian/Nurse/Maroon/Lucy....and face retribution for it which the Leafs will face in their next game which should be AWESOME to watch . Then again....good chance one of those four guys will cream/cheap shot /level out from behind one of our guys before we even look at the Superkid in any way....so may as well get a couple of shoves , bumps, pushes & love taps in before our player gets creamed....they certainly have much meaner creamers though....maybe too many in this day and age . ;)

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

If Zipay is saying the Canes are the only team McDavid's never gotten a point against in his career, it's not true. That's what I thought he was saying.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC

If Zipay is saying the Canes are the only team McDavid's never gotten a point against in his career, it's not true. That's what I thought he was saying.

Only team he's played against that held him without a point. He missed a lot of last season with a collarbone injury

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Can't thank ya'll enough for Cam Talbot. Don't injure McDavid, let's have a fun game. Love you guys, hope Zibby's doing well!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Did Dave Maloney get really old or something? I didn't watch MSG that much the last two seasons he looks to have aged 10 years.

member 116805

Still never saw a fill game of McDavid (with the Oilers) just highlights/clips.
Looking forward to his 1st loss at MSG. LGR!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Still never saw a fill game of McDavid (with the Oilers) just highlights/clips.
Looking forward to his 1st loss at MSG. LGR!
He's....kinda fast. I'm glad he plays 70,000 Mcmiles away, this division has had it's fill of elite/generational players post-lockout. -___-

member 116805

Christmas commercials in the 1st week of november... grossness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad