GDT: #11 – Bruins at Sabres – Thu Oct 30, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TV – WGR

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
The Mess experiment has returned a result... abject failure. Time to cut that guy and play NZ.

When Mess makes Weber look good by comparison, it's time to hit the bricks.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Hope it's Zadorov in for Benoit. Looking at what Nolan's done so far with the younger guys, though, it's probably more likely he scratched Ristolainen for Strachan.

LOL. Additionally, I heard today was Strachan's B-day. I don't know if that would really matter to Nolan, but I'd give the guy a game on his b-day if it were me.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
True, but his level of suckage stuck out. And he's 19. And when a 19 year old plays that way, he should probably see the press box.

After 1 game? Absolutely not. All we need is for young guys to fear making a mistake . That's not how you let a guy grow.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I didn't even think Risto was notably bad last game :shrug:

I mean, Nolan put him out in the final power play with Reinhart. That doesn't sound like Nolan felt Risto sucked substantially more relative to everyone else.

Bps21*

Hope it's Zadorov in for Benoit. Looking at what Nolan's done so far with the younger guys, though, it's probably more likely he scratched Ristolainen for Strachan.

After his bluster about giving a ten game look and now making moves...if he actually pulled out ristolainen for Strachan that'd be the final straw on giving nolan apologists the benefit of any doubt.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
1 game? no, that's exactly not what you should do to a 19 year old.

Wrong. You have to show them that they better be great every game or they are out. No passengers on this team like risto.....

:speechles

It's how it's been done forever. The kids are the first ones to see the press box. And let's not kid ourselves, it's been more than one game. Fortunately or unfortunately, his struggles have been camouflaged by the teams struggles.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I didn't even think Risto was notably bad last game :shrug:

I mean, Nolan put him out in the final power play with Reinhart. That doesn't sound like Nolan felt Risto sucked substantially more relative to everyone else.

For that last power play, I thought both "units" were really only regular lines otherwise due for their shifts? I dunno.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

It's how it's been done forever. The kids are the first ones to see the press box. And let's not kid ourselves, it's been more than one game. Fortunately or unfortunately, his struggles have been camouflaged by the teams struggles.

It can be done on a good team full of vets. On this team his bad games are still better at d than half the vets. There are plenty of examples to letting a young player work his game out on the ice. Kinda like how we all think its dumb to sit reinhart so he can watch from the magical pressbox.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It can be done on a good team full of vets. On this team his bad games are still better at d than half the vets. There are plenty of examples to letting a young player work his game out on the ice. Kinda like how we all think its dumb to sit reinhart so he can watch from the magical pressbox.

The vets are what they are. Sitting them doesn't do a thing. Risto is developing and this is a normal part of the process.

People were actually mad about Reinhart sitting out a game? Yikes. Get a grip.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

Risto has been our 3rd best defenseman behind myers and gorges. Only thing he hasn't done is contribute offensively, but who has? I'm not sure we're actually watching the same games :help:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The vets are what they are. Sitting them doesn't do a thing. Risto is developing and this is a normal part of the process.

People were actually mad about Reinhart sitting out a game? Yikes. Get a grip.

Sitting vets doesn't do anything, even though it's more common than sitting young players?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I hope we win and put up at least 3 goals tonight. Hoping Reinhart gets a point or two to make the decision more difficult.

And I really want Ted Nolan gone as soon as we are ready to compete. He's proven to be just as bad as Ron Rolston.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Sitting vets doesn't do anything, even though it's more common than sitting young players?

Why is it more common? Maybe because there are two teenagers on the roster and kids make up a tiny percentage of players in the league? Just a thought. Rookies getting a seat in the press box after a rough stretch is the most normal thing in the world. I don't know why people are fighting me on this...

I'm not even saying it should or will be Risto, just that its not a big deal if it is.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why is it more common? Maybe because there are two teenagers on the roster and kids make up a tiny percentage of players in the league? Just a thought. Rookies getting a seat in the press box after a rough stretch is the most normal thing in the world. I don't know why people are fighting me on this...

I'm not even saying it should or will be Risto, just that its not a big deal if it is.

I'm arguing against your statement that sitting vets doesn't do anything for them. Coaches obviously disagree since many frequently scratch veterans in an attempt to get them to play better.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sure why anyone would think sitting Risto over Weber or Mesz is a good idea. They have both been awful wile Risto has been mostly decent. Let the kid play as he's earned it more so than the other two.

Sit one of those guys down for Zads and see what happens. Sure as heck can't get any worse.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not sure why anyone would think sitting Risto over Weber or Mesz is a good idea. They have both been awful wile Risto has been mostly decent. Let the kid play as he's earned it more so than the other two.

Sit one of those guys down for Zads and see what happens. Sure as heck can't get any worse.

Weber has not been awful. He's been good.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What they need to do is send Strachan down, solve the Zadorov question, call up Pysyk, and roll with some version of:

Gorges-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
Benoit-Pysyk
x. Mess

Giving Benoit a competent partner defensively would help mitigate his levels of suck maybe hopefully (though I'd rather Pysyk have a decent partner, we just don't have that option).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad