Value of: 10th overall pick

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
WHile there will be more goalies on the market, there will also be more teams looking to shore up the #1 spot. And out of those goalies, very few are as good as Markstrom
The best part of any possible trade here will be the about face Devils fans have.

Who are the teams looking for a legit #1? NJ, Toronto, LA? That’s not a lot.

I’d really temper my expectations

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
WHile there will be more goalies on the market, there will also be more teams looking to shore up the #1 spot. And out of those goalies, very few are as good as Markstrom
The best part of any possible trade here will be the about face Devils fans have.

Generally, I try not to chase outlier trade returns. A trade involving #10 for a guy like Markstrom would be a massive outlier in recent history.

Reactions: pth2

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I can't imagine a trade that involves NJD's 10OA pick unless it's a pretty big package. Markstrom retained plus our late first probably isn't enough. It probably still needs another decent asset added to it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Flames/NJD may circle back to make a trade, but it'll be a lesser trade than something that involves 10OA.

The best part of any trade will be Flames fan raging that they didn't get anything close to what they want for Markstrom. I look forward to the Fire Conroy and boycott the Flames till the Owner sells the team thread.

?? quite a few of us felt it was questionable that Markstrom had that type of value in the first place. A few seasons ago, we all agreed you likely add an asset to Markstrom to try and get rid of him. Then he rockets up to being worth a first? That's larceny. IIRC, Fitz commented that the entire goalie market was basically larceny (paraphrasing) after the TDL. Markstrom is no longer a pure cap dump, but to be worth around a first is still a weird and crazy concept to some of us Flames fans.

Many of us were of the opinion, "Whatever you can get" even when that rumor popped up. That rumor that popped up for that failed trade was really left field and I think there was so much smoke around it, that some fans got too carried away with their excitement. But a lot of us do not agree with that valuation, although we'd love to be wrong and get any form of a late first round calibre asset for Markstrom.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I can't imagine a trade that involves NJD's 10OA pick unless it's a pretty big package. Markstrom retained plus our late first probably isn't enough. It probably still needs another decent asset added to it.

I'm more inclined to believe that Flames/NJD may circle back to make a trade, but it'll be a lesser trade than something that involves 10OA.

?? quite a few of us felt it was questionable that Markstrom had that type of value in the first place. A few seasons ago, we all agreed you likely add an asset to Markstrom to try and get rid of him. Then he rockets up to being worth a first? That's larceny. IIRC, Fitz commented that the entire goalie market was basically larceny (paraphrasing) after the TDL. Markstrom is no longer a pure cap dump, but to be worth around a first is still a weird and crazy concept to some of us Flames fans.

Many of us were of the opinion, "Whatever you can get" even when that rumor popped up. That rumor that popped up for that failed trade was really left field and I think there was so much smoke around it, that some fans got too carried away with their excitement. But a lot of us do not agree with that valuation, although we'd love to be wrong and get any form of a late first round calibre asset for Markstrom.
My post was in response to the last sentence of the person I quoted, Battling snark with snark and all that.

Reactions: Fig

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Who are the teams looking for a legit #1? NJ, Toronto, LA? That’s not a lot.

I’d really temper my expectations
I'd add Ott & Det in there off hand. How many legit starters are available?
As far as my expectations, I'm not really sure what to expect. But a 2nd with us still throwing in or retaining is laughable. Like I said, I'd really like to know what was agreed upon earlier.
Also we know their GM is very interested in him, having circled back multiple times to try and aquire him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
My post was in response to the last sentence of the person I quoted, Battling snark with snark and all that.

I notice the lack of plural in your post now. Carry on! :thumbu:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I'd add Ott & Det in there off hand. How many legit starters are available?
As far as my expectations, I'm not really sure what to expect. But a 2nd with us still throwing in or retaining is laughable. Like I said, I'd really like to know what was agreed upon earlier.
Also we know their GM is very interested in him, having circled back multiple times to try and aquire him.

Ullmark, Saros, there’s budget, reclamation projects, or UFAs in Kahkonen, Gustafsson, Gibson, Samsonov…those are just off the top of my head.

And yeah but by the same token, Markstrom being the centerpiece to acquire the 10th overall is laughable.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
When was the last time a known top 10-12 pick was traded for a player 30+?

I think a team is much more likely to gamble on a underperforming youngster with a pick like #10 than they would be to gamble on a 30+ goalie (or skater).
29 year old Linden for #10 is probably the closest.

Generally, I try not to chase outlier trade returns. A trade involving #10 for a guy like Markstrom would be a massive outlier in recent history.
Yup. Schneider in his prime fetched #9 and ut was considered an overpay.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
So, there's a guy on Flames twitter who has been right a bunch of times, and clearly has some connections; yesterday he was talking about Calgary packaging Markstrom and their later pick first round pick to move back into the top 10 of the draft.

With the connection of Markstrom and Jersey already, sort of seems like this would be one of the picks they'd look at in this trade.

Well the last time the Devils traded down in round 1 with Calgary and it involved goaltenders it worked out pretty well for us with that pick.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
You can also keep trying to will it into existence by saying this in every thread. That won’t make it happen though.
Huh? I think I have only said it in this one. It's a common sense guess....it is public knowledge that your GM thinks highly of Markstrom and the 2 teams had an agreement in place. It's only logical to assume that the talks will continue now.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Huh? I think I have only said it in this one. It's a common sense guess....it is public knowledge that your GM thinks highly of Markstrom and the 2 teams had an agreement in place. It's only logical to assume that the talks will continue now.

lol it’s not common sense. Just because the Devils have interest it doesn’t means they’re going to overpay. That’s ridiculous reasoning.

A 34 year old goalie being traded for that value is unprecedented. And Markstrom only helped drive his value down after the trade deadline with an absolutely dreadful finish to the season.

Reactions: HBK27

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
To be clear, I don't think the "value" is substantially wrong here in a 10 for markstrom + Vancouver first trade. I just don't think they have to move that #10 pick to get him. That kind of trade is a dime for two nickels type move. #10 is just a different tier of asset. You can use the 25 protected first and go from there and I'm not sure anyone markstrom is waiving for is immediately beating it.

But in a pure value perspective, that would put markstroms value at a late 1st + mid second or an early second + mid second if you use the coyotes trade up for geekie as a baseline.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
lol it’s not common sense. Just because the Devils have interest it doesn’t means they’re going to overpay. That’s ridiculous reasoning.

A 34 year old goalie being traded for that value is unprecedented. And Markstrom only helped drive his value down after the trade deadline with an absolutely dreadful finish to the season.
It's almost as if the late 1st is worth nothing in your opinion....

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if Fitz does any form of a trade of 10th overall for Markstrom, even with retention, getting another player, or late pick back, I will start to question him as GM.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
While there's a strong chance New Jersey keeps the pick to select another young player to add to their already impressive U26 core, there is also a strong chance this pick is moved to upgrade the roster NOW.

Sifting through the league, these are some names that intrigue me for the New Jersey Devils to acquire in a trade using the 10th overall pick. Some players, Devils would have to add. Maybe perhaps a lot. Some players, the other team would have to add. Nonetheless, here are some names that strike me as interesting. These are some players that could potentially be available for various reasons. (Contract status, Team shakeup, Team trending towards rebuild, Team already in rebuild, Team needing to get younger, etc.)

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson