Value of: 10th overall pick

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
While there's a strong chance New Jersey keeps the pick to select another young player to add to their already impressive U26 core, there is also a strong chance this pick is moved to upgrade the roster NOW.

Sifting through the league, these are some names that intrigue me for the New Jersey Devils to acquire in a trade using the 10th overall pick. Some players, Devils would have to add. Maybe perhaps a lot. Some players, the other team would have to add. Nonetheless, here are some names that strike me as interesting. These are some players that could potentially be available for various reasons. (Contract status, Team shakeup, Team trending towards rebuild, Team already in rebuild, Team needing to get younger, etc.)

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Kirill Kaprizov
Joel Eriksson Ek
Travis Konecny
Pavel Buchnevich
Kyle Connor
Nikolaj Ehlers
Gabe Vilardi
Blake Coleman (@50% retained)
Lawson Crouse
Adrian Kempe

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think something based around Buchnevich and the 10th pick could definitely be worked out.

Reactions: Blueston

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Could Swayman be available? Arbitration has been known to cause turmoil to the team/player relationship.

Could Sorokin be available? NYI need to get younger, and Sorokin must be an unhappy player after this years playoffs.

Will Nashville move Askarov or Saros?

Could Nashville capitalize on McDonagh's short remaining shelf life?

Does Anaheim love another player in this draft?

Does Minnesota need to move out money? Will Kaprizov extend after his contract expires in summer 2026?

Does Brady Tkachuk want out? He is building a home in New Jersey...

Will Winnipeg shake it up after another early playoff exit?

Would Calgary capitalize on Coleman's high value after a 30 goal season?

Is Kempe going to extend in LA?

Reactions: harv33173

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Could Nashville capitalize on McDonagh's short remaining shelf life?

Does Anaheim love another player in this draft?

Would Calgary capitalize on Coleman's high value after a 30 goal season?
You just don't trade #10 pick for McDonagh, Fowler or Coleman. Same thing with Ehlers, and I wouldn't trade it for Buchnevich, because the Devils can't give him $8 million when he needs a new contract. Swayman, Sorokin etc. aren't available.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
You just don't trade #10 pick for McDonagh, Fowler or Coleman. Same thing with Ehlers, and I wouldn't trade it for Buchnevich, because the Devils can't give him $8 million when he needs a new contract. Swayman, Sorokin etc. aren't available.

You just don't trade #10 pick for McDonagh, Fowler or Coleman. Same thing with Ehlers, and I wouldn't trade it for Buchnevich - For McDonagh, Fowler, or Coleman, it wouldn't be straight up. For example, if Calgary wanted 10th overall, if I am in Fitzgerald shoes, I would ask for Markstrom @30-50% retained, Coleman @50% retained, and a 3rd round pick.

Swayman, Sorokin etc. aren't available. - How do you know? Why hasn't Swayman been signed yet?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not buying or selling anything from a Jets POV but I see you listed a couple of them so I'll add my opinion. I suspect the Jets will make a couple moves focused more around the D core and improving it and or replacing some. I'm doubtful the Jets trade K Connor but very possible they move Ehlers. But the key is likely they don't want futures they want roster players back to win now.

Nate S is likely gone via trade or buy out, he's a ok 3rd pairing guy but paid too much. Pionk is a ok #4 or 5 RHD but he's more offensively minded and paid a bit too much. Dillon might not be resigned depending on cap.

Ledge And Dairy

You just don't trade #10 pick for McDonagh, Fowler or Coleman. Same thing with Ehlers, and I wouldn't trade it for Buchnevich - For McDonagh, Fowler, or Coleman, it wouldn't be straight up. For example, if Calgary wanted 10th overall, if I am in Fitzgerald shoes, I would ask for Markstrom @30-50% retained, Coleman @50% retained, and a 3rd round pick.

Swayman, Sorokin etc. aren't available. - How do you know? Why hasn't Swayman been signed yet?
Swayman is still playing, why would they negotiate mid playoffs? He's not being traded though, zero chance. Sorokin could be traded but not for a pick, only way I could possible see him being made available is in some sort of swap for Marner.

Calgary isn't using 2 retention slots on players with term when they have multiple pending UFA's they will want to trade off. 1 of them fine. Not 2

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Calgary is already retaining on two contracts, so they can only retain on one more until hanifin and tanevs expire on July 1, which would be after the 10th pick would be used this draft.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
While there's a strong chance New Jersey keeps the pick to select another young player to add to their already impressive U26 core, there is also a strong chance this pick is moved to upgrade the roster NOW.

Sifting through the league, these are some names that intrigue me for the New Jersey Devils to acquire in a trade using the 10th overall pick. Some players, Devils would have to add. Maybe perhaps a lot. Some players, the other team would have to add. Nonetheless, here are some names that strike me as interesting. These are some players that could potentially be available for various reasons. (Contract status, Team shakeup, Team trending towards rebuild, Team already in rebuild, Team needing to get younger, etc.)

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Kirill Kaprizov
Joel Eriksson Ek
Travis Konecny
Pavel Buchnevich
Kyle Connor
Nikolaj Ehlers
Gabe Vilardi
Lawson Crouse
Adrian Kempe

You had me at fowler

• Haha
Reactions: gilfaizon

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Sorokin isn’t available and we’re not handing him to a division rival for the rest of the decade.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston media was saying there was an 8x7mish extension in place for Swayman when all the Ullmark rumors were swirling. But then Ullmark trades fell thru. They will revisit and finalize after the season.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Kirill Kaprizov
Joel Eriksson Ek
Travis Konecny
Pavel Buchnevich
Kyle Connor
Nikolaj Ehlers
Gabe Vilardi
Lawson Crouse
Adrian Kempe
I would pay #5 for :
Tkachuk
Batherson
Kaprizov
Connor

and you think these are worth #10 ?? gezzz

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022

Goalies
Jeremy Swayman
Ilya Sorokin
Juuse Saros
Yaroslav Askarov

Defensemen
Ryan McDonagh
Cam Fowler
Jonas Brodin

Forwards
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Kirill Kaprizov
Joel Eriksson Ek
Travis Konecny
Pavel Buchnevich
Kyle Connor
Nikolaj Ehlers
Gabe Vilardi
Lawson Crouse
Adrian Kempe
Take wild players off your imaginary list. They aren’t rebuilding. They aren’t trading Joel eriksson ek, kaprizov or brodin. Funny how you think it’s in the realm of ever happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad