10th annual "Official Habs Board Mock Draft" 2016 edition (Part 2) - COMPLETE!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
5. Pierre-Luc Dubois went #3 (+2)
33. Alex Debrincat went #39 (-6)
63. Frédéric Allard went #78 (-15)
93. Chad Krys went #45 (+48)
153. Alexis D'Aoust (ND) invited to VAN's camp
183. Matthew Boucher (ND)
193. Samuel Laberge (ND) invited to DAL's camp

Okay draft, my top 3 went mostly where expected, happy and lucky to see Krys go so early. But a nice fat swing and a miss for my last 3 picks. Slightly surprised D'Aoust didn't get picked, but happy for him that he received a camp invite at least.

I was thinking in addition to doing the Golden Slepyshev award, we might want to do a similar award for whoever got the best "+" of the mock. We could name him after an infamous reach such as Jankowski, Mitch Moroz, Hugh Jessiman or Tyler Biggs.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I was thinking in addition to doing the Golden Slepyshev award, we might want to do a similar award for whoever got the best "+" of the mock. We could name him after an infamous reachsuch as Jankowski, Mitch Moroz, Hugh Jessiman or Tyler Biggs.

I have a pretty good candidate with Karlstrom at +94. Don't know anyone else beats that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I was thinking in addition to doing the Golden Slepyshev award, we might want to do a similar award for whoever got the best "+" of the mock. We could name him after an infamous reach such as Jankowski, Mitch Moroz, Hugh Jessiman or Tyler Biggs.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Would be neat. I'm feeling like Henri Richard though. I'm sure that nobody will EVER beat my "record". Okay, record of stupidity but that we shouldn't say....:D

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I was thinking in addition to doing the Golden Slepyshev award, we might want to do a similar award for whoever got the best "+" of the mock. We could name him after an infamous reach such as Jankowski, Mitch Moroz, Hugh Jessiman or Tyler Biggs.

:laugh: Would be neat. I'm feeling like Henri Richard though. I'm sure that nobody will EVER beat my "record". Okay, record of stupidity but that we shouldn't say....:D

Yeah it could be a more glorious name for that award, since it's actually a nice feat. I'm just kicking tires.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Really disappointed that Fortier wasn't chosen. Pretty surprised actually. At least I'll see him in Montreal in a week. Will you be there?

I'm in Montréal for my internship, but I believe it usually takes place during the week so I might not be able to be there. If part of it is during the weekend I'll probably attend for a day.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Good depth there..solid draft. Funny thing is I like Zimmer more than Knierim..Hagel and Stallard more than Fortier, Frederic more than Gambrell and Lindgren more than Dineen. So while you may have made some picks I wasn't giddy about value wise..you came back strongly every time on your next. :) Good job. Gambrell and Dineen aren't bad prospects..just not sure they'll go that high.

How prophetic was that? He he...okay..grandstanding a bit. :)

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I had 8 players go in the top 67....nine in the top 81....the tenth went 162. Helps when you have lots of picks.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Well Quebec Pride..now you know why I wasn't ecstatic about the guy selecting for the Hab took Kuznetsov 69th overall...or your contention that Fortier, D'Aoust and Laberge were good prospects for the draft. My sources are usually pretty accurate on when it comes to these guys....they just weren't on NHL teams' radars for various reasons.

Fontaine and Weiderer were guys i liked more..and they both went by the 6th..they simply bring more dimensions that are likely to translate at the next level...decent size/skating combo...sense, good defensive skills. It's not an easy process..but the key is to try and project who may succeed at the NHL level..not who might be a great junior in a year or to..and sometimes it's a fine line.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Well Quebec Pride..now you know why I wasn't ecstatic about the guy selecting for the Hab took Kuznetsov 69th overall...or your contention that Fortier, D'Aoust and Laberge were good prospects for the draft. My sources are usually pretty accurate on when it comes to these guys....they just weren't on NHL teams' radars for various reasons.

Fontaine and Weiderer were guys i liked more..and they both went by the 6th..they simply bring more dimensions that are likely to translate at the next level...decent size/skating combo...sense, good defensive skills. It's not an easy process..but the key is to try and project who may succeed at the NHL level..not who might be a great junior in a year or to..and sometimes it's a fine line.

Hey Grant, what pick surprised you the most in terms of reaches and who do you think got the biggest steal?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Fortier and Daoust deserved to get drafted in my book. Laberge was a flyer I took.

I obviously don't get the insight you do with your contacts in the field, but as you say, it's a fine line between a late round flyer and a ND. The fact that all three aforementioned players were invited to rookie camps shows that they were in the talks.

Even Pros get it wrong, it isn't rare that the folks in this mock draft players a year earlier than they actually get picked by Pro scouts. Personally, I like to be able to say that I've seen most if not every player I draft live. That certainly narrows down my universe of players available, but it also insures I get the best read on the players.

With that being said, your input is always welcome, and I absolutely love it when people challenge my ideas, it's a great way to improve.

I'm curious to hear what pushed the teams to overlook Kuznetsov.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Only had 3 picks with Minnesota this year, happy they all got drafted.

15. Luke Kunin, went 15th, bang on.
105. Kasper Bjorkqvist (+44)
195. Jake Ryczek (-8)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Even Pros get it wrong, it isn't rare that the folks in this mock draft players a year earlier than they actually get picked by Pro scouts.

I know I've had more than one, myself.

I'm curious to hear what pushed the teams to overlook Kuznetsov.

Especially since the conglomerate of "sources" ranked him within the top 100 NA skaters on their final lists for the most part. I think too many scouts had their attention focused elsewhere when he really started to put it together around December. In fairness, his line was on for a fair amount of goals against, but given that I doubt anyone can name the goalies or defensemen from the Titan, I don't know how much that should be held against their young forwards.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Edmonton
4 - Olli Juolevi - Selected 5th. -1
62 - Logan Stanley - Selected 18th +44
84 - Adam Brooks - Selected 92nd -8
87 - Lucas Carlsson - Selected 110th -23
122 - Dylan Wells - Selected 123rd -1
148 - Nikolai Chebykin - Selected 182nd -34
152 - Max Gerlach - Undrafted
182 - Keaton Middleton - Selected 101st +81

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
1 - Auston Matthews - 1 (0)
27 - Pascal Laberge - 36 (-9)
31 - Kale Clague - 51 (-20)
60 - Givani Smith - 46 (+14)
61 - Jacob Moverare - 112 (-61)
71 - Max Lajoie - 133 (-62)
91 - Nicholas Caamano - 146 (-55)
100 - Filip Hronek - 53 (+47)
121 - Mathias From - 143 (-22)
151 - Brett Murray - 99 (+52)
178 - Patrick Bajkov - UD
181 - Luke McInnis UD

Well that wasn't very good except for Hronek and Murray.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Especially since the conglomerate of "sources" ranked him within the top 100 NA skaters on their final lists for the most part. I think too many scouts had their attention focused elsewhere when he really started to put it together around December. In fairness, his line was on for a fair amount of goals against, but given that I doubt anyone can name the goalies or defensemen from the Titan, I don't know how much that should be held against their young forwards.

Nobody watches Bathurst, sad but true. They're very rarely involved in entertaining games, and they play in a far area for both the Maritimes and Québec scouts. His on-ice performance at least deserved him to get drafted, I'm really intrigued as to what really made the scouts mind.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How prophetic was that? He he...okay..grandstanding a bit. :)

Yeah I was going to comment on that. You also remember that I gave you that even before the draft. Gambrell still went before I thought he would despite me taking him early.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Really disappointed that Fortier wasn't chosen. Pretty surprised actually. At least I'll see him in Montreal in a week. Will you be there?

I'm not, actually. As good as he was last season, he still hasn't shown much in his skillset that you'd project to the next level. Good at a little bit of everything. Enough skill to do this, that, and the other thing. Smart player, even. Coachable. Works pretty hard. Just not strong in enough categories to put on this years "draft" list. A 100 point season on a rebuilt Mooseheads team might earn him more respect, but even then he'll have to show a lot more "jam" and defensive development to stand a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad