10th Anniversary of the '03 Cup Victory

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
True Story:

Watched game 7 at Hobson's Choice in Hoboken with my roommate. Few Devils fans there. There's two minutes to go in the game, and the celebrating is beginning. I go to the bar and order up some champagne and shots. As I'm waiting for my order, a girl next to me at the bar, who's been there the whole time and notices my Devils jersey, says to me:

"I was supposed to go to the game tonight, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me."

To which I say:

"Oh, seriously? That sucks! What did you do with the tickets?

What happened next truly happened: She reaches into her purse and says:

"They're right here."

Uhhhhhhh.........are you farking kidding me? You saw me there the whole night, and couldn't have offered them to me? You could've sold them to me at the end of the 2nd and I would've went! I........had no words.

Dumb and ugly, poor gal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Couldn't find anyone to go with me?!? To game 7 of the finals? Chick must have been a loser and a 1.

Not to mention being a weenie about going by yourself to a GAME 7 of the SCF in the first place! If she was going to eat both tickets she might as well have eaten one and gone.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I go to games by myself all the time if I can't find people to go

doesn't bother me at all

I was at game 1 of the Finals by myself

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Don't forget Giguere was also this big ****in fatso who looked like he had an air compressor under his sweater that inflated him into this blob that made the wall of pads goalies today look miniscule in comparison. He also wore shoulder pads up to his ears. Even Clement and Thorne were cracking jokes about his equipment all throughout that SCF.

I'm pretty sure when the NHL regulated the goalie equipment after the last lockout that he was the main target.
If you look at him today he's still this blimp, but he isn't the blob that we saw back in 03.

He was one of the original "goalie beasts" for sure.

I'm not 100% that he was the very first, plug-the-entire-net-with-nylon-polyester-and-plastics, but he was the first to gain notoriety (and infamy) for it.

I say:

"They're right here."

That's as wasteful as taking one bite from a smorgasbord and then throwing everything else out...................... in Ethiopia.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was one of the original "goalie beasts" for sure.

I'm not 100% that he was the very first, plug-the-entire-net-with-nylon-polyester-and-plastics, but he was the first to gain notoriety (and infamy) for it.

I think it all spun from Francois Allaire. Patrick (Or as I like to call him Padtrick) Roy was probably the guy in the 90s that had the largest equipment. He was probably the first really well known one who started to wear the large equipment. Of course you had bozos like Garth Snow who weren't that good anyway. There were others I'm sure before Roy, but he was probably the most famous who was one of the first.

What did Roy have in common with Giguere other than both being from Quebec? Allaire was both of their goalie coaches. Luongo who also had to shrink equipment after the 05 lockout was also coached by Allaire. He went to his goalie school when he was in his teens. Francois's brother Benoit is the goalie coach for the Rangers too, not shockingly.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think it all spun from Francois Allaire. Patrick (Or as I like to call him Padtrick) Roy was probably the guy in the 90s that had the largest equipment. He was probably the first really well known one who started to wear the large equipment. Of course you had bozos like Garth Snow who weren't that good anyway. There were others I'm sure before Roy, but he was probably the most famous who was one of the first.

What did Roy have in common with Giguere other than both being from Quebec? Allaire was both of their goalie coaches. Luongo who also had to shrink equipment after the 05 lockout was also coached by Allaire. He went to his goalie school when he was in his teens. Francois's brother Benoit is the goalie coach for the Rangers too, not shockingly.
The increase in pad size is tied to the shift to the butterfly style of goaltending, which is tied to Allaire. The key, though, is that standup goaltenders get less of a benefit from increased pad size than butterfly goaltenders do. So, shift to butterfly, increased incentive to increase pad size.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The increase in pad size is tied to the shift to the butterfly style of goaltending, which is tied to Allaire. The key, though, is that standup goaltenders get less of a benefit from increased pad size than butterfly goaltenders do. So, shift to butterfly, increased incentive to increase pad size.

I think he was one of the first to really teach that style of goaltending too. Or at least he was one of the first real known about ones. You can tell many of the goalies that he's coached/taught cause many of them play almost exactly the same. Not just butterfly, but they have certain attributes about them. Even James Reimer who is the most recent goalie he's coached.

Many of them also wear the oversized jersey too. I believe his brother Benoit also stresses the same stuff. Butterfly style, and taking up as much net as possible. Look at Sean Burke when he went to Phoenix. I'm pretty sure Benoit Allaire was the goalie coach there at the time. Compare what Burke looked like for the Coyotes to the Devils. It was like Godzilla for the Coyotes, and a scarecrow with the Devils. Burke's save percentages also skyrocketed those years.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
True Story:

Watched game 7 at Hobson's Choice in Hoboken with my roommate. Few Devils fans there. There's two minutes to go in the game, and the celebrating is beginning. I go to the bar and order up some champagne and shots. As I'm waiting for my order, a girl next to me at the bar, who's been there the whole time and notices my Devils jersey, says to me:

"I was supposed to go to the game tonight, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me."

To which I say:

"They're right here."

Uhhhhhhh.........are you farking kidding me? You saw me there the whole night, and couldn't have offered them to me? You could've sold them to me at the end of the 2nd and I would've went! I........had no words.

I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
people go to games by themselves? 100% serious, I’ve never heard of that. do a lot of people do this?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

Louis-CK.jpg

while I imagine Louis actually was with someone, look lower left - someone brought a life size doll to the game to hide that they were attending alone.

*creepy*

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
people go to games by themselves? 100% serious, I’ve never heard of that. do a lot of people do this?

not all the time and its not like I plan to. but if its a game I Want to go to and I can't find anyone else to go with me, why not?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
not all the time and its not like I plan to. but if its a game I Want to go to and I can't find anyone else to go with me, why not?

i was just asking. the thought never even occurred to me. especially a SCF game? just never crossed my mind, but yeah I guess some people do?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I couldnt get anyone to pony up the ~$250 it cost for me to go to game 1 of the Finals.

most of my friends that love hockey that much 1) aren't Devils fans and 2) don't live near here

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec

I went to Game 5 by myself. None of my friends are Devils fans and they definitely wouldn't pay $400 and drive 8 hours to go see them. The way I see it, I was with 17000+ people that night.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Don't forget Giguere was also this big ****in fatso who looked like he had an air compressor under his sweater that inflated him into this blob that made the wall of pads goalies today look miniscule in comparison. He also wore shoulder pads up to his ears. Even Clement and Thorne were cracking jokes about his equipment all throughout that SCF.

I'm pretty sure when the NHL regulated the goalie equipment after the last lockout that he was the main target. If you look at him today he's still this blimp, but he isn't the blob that we saw back in 03.

I remember most Devils fans including myself calling him either "Stay-puffed" or "Michelin Man". :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i was just asking. the thought never even occurred to me. especially a SCF game? just never crossed my mind, but yeah I guess some people do?

If you do it often enough it really doesn't matter, I've made friends with people at the train station and in the arena (mainly the sth's I sit next to), so I only think of it as driving alone and meeting people there lol

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
If you do it often enough it really doesn't matter, I've made friends with people at the train station and in the arena (mainly the sth's I sit next to), so I only think of it as driving alone and meeting people there lol

This. I now share season tickets with three other people that I met from being a solo season ticket holder attendee. Good friends all, now.

Status Quo*

I've been to a bunch of games by myself. I go to baseball games by myself too. Since I'm a White Sox fan, I know no other Sox fans around here. I went to Yankee Stadium alone last year for a game and this year back in May to Citi Field to see them against the Mets. I even drove out to the Island earlier in the year to see the Devils take on the Isles for a game by myself.

If I really want to go to a game, I'm not going to let not having anyone go with stop me. Going to a game alone isn't bad at all. I mean, yeah sometimes it gets a little boring if you have no one to talk to, but I've found a majority of the time the people around me at games are super friendly and we talk throughout.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Not to mention being a weenie about going by yourself to a GAME 7 of the SCF in the first place! If she was going to eat both tickets she might as well have eaten one and gone.

Yeah, that too. I did that myself for game five against LA because I was just in town visiting family and couldn't afford a second ticket. I had a blast and met a bunch of people, some of whom I still keep in touch with.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember most Devils fans including myself calling him either "Stay-puffed" or "Michelin Man". :laugh:
I think I called him ''Fatso mchugepads'' or something.:laugh:

I never went to too many games by myself, but I would if I had to. I might go to the game in Sunrise next year by myself for the Devils and Panthers. My buddy went with me this year, but he's one of those dudes that values sleep more than me. He only went with me this year cause it was on a weekend. We get home at like 2:00 AM and I can function on 5 hours of sleep, he can't.

We do go to the games against the Lightning though since it's only 40 minutes from us. I took my girlfriend to the Devils Lightning game this year, and I likely won't be taking her again. Especially since they'll only be playing down here once next year, and I'd like to enjoy it. That was the WORST game of the season this year, and we went to it in person. I was *****ing the whole ride home, and she was not happy. :laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad