Prospect Info: #109OA - Hurricanes select RW Jackson Blake

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Blake (Eden Prairie, Minn.) led all NCHC rookies in conference-only scoring with 29 points, tying for second among all players in 24 NCHC games. It’s the third-most points by a freshman in conference play in NCHC history. Blake scored 10 goals and added 19 assists, which were second-most in conference play this year and first among freshmen. The Carolina Hurricanes draft pick was a two-time NCHC Rookie of the Month this year and finished the regular season with 40 points (15g/25a) in 35 games. The 40 points rank second among NCHC rookies and fourth among all NCHC players.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The local paper also had this stat, which I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

Blake's offensive zone entries are 175 by stickhandle, 105 by pass, and only five by dump-in.
That’s a pretty accurate assessment of watching him play. You have to remember he’s playing in the NCAA, they don’t gap up like we see in the NHL. They’re a lot easier to back off the line when you can attack with speed. Blake drives the line hard and attacks. He can turn the puck over a lot doing that too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Sounds like we are trying to lock him up to an ELC right now but he might be leaning toward going back for his Junior year.

Also don't think he's going to Fox us, he's been interactive with the Canes social media.
I wouldn't blame him for going back either, UND was a strong team this year that very easily could if not should have gone farther in the tourney. Also I'm not aware of any super-Frosh this coming season like Celibrini was so good chance he wins the Hobey Baker if he comes back with the other two finalists almost certainly turning pro.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't blame him for going back either, UND was a strong team this year that very easily could if not should have gone farther in the tourney. Also I'm not aware of any super-Frosh this coming season like Celibrini was so good chance he wins the Hobey Baker if he comes back with the other two finalists almost certainly turning pro.
Yeah, he's one I won't feel bad about going back for a junior year. He might honestly get better development with another year hitting the weight room and using those crazy looking NoDak floating beds. Seriously their equipment and training facilities are better than the Canes. I hope he works on rounding out his game, or just playing heavier. If we partner with Chicago again, I bet his development will be better served playing in college another year.

Lastly, here's me crossing fingers that the Borg will still keep their cap flexibility long term. If you lock in to too many 7 year deals and tie up all your cap, you can't keep another breakthrough young guy. I'm not expecting Jackson Blake to end up as a top 6 forward, but it's certainly possible, and you always want some flexibility to keep your young players. (That said I don't imagine Jackson will get a regular role until 2026-2027 or later.)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
People keep saying he has zero to prove. I don’t get it at all. He’s not physically developed, he could absolutely work on controlling the play more, running the pp, showing more patience and maturity. If we have an AHL team and he wants to be there then fine I guess, he’s just not the guy I think of when they say that phrase.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
People keep saying he has zero to prove. I don’t get it at all. He’s not physically developed, he could absolutely work on controlling the play more, running the pp, showing more patience and maturity. If we have an AHL team and he wants to be there then fine I guess, he’s just not the guy I think of when they say that phrase.
I agree that he still has a lot to prove, but I also kind of agree there's not as much left to prove at the NCAA level. He was dominant this year IN SPITE of those shortcomings, so staying another year likely isn't going o help him develop in those areas if he can continue to "cheat" and get by on skill alone.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree that he still has a lot to prove, but I also kind of agree there's not as much left to prove at the NCAA level. He was dominant this year IN SPITE of those shortcomings, so staying another year likely isn't going o help him develop in those areas if he can continue to "cheat" and get by on skill alone.
I think the getting stronger while not getting drilled at the AHL level is worth it. Being able to use his high skill level for another year just reinforces some of those skills, though of course bad habits can be formed as well.

His dad could kill penalties and had some versatility as a player. If we don’t have an AHL team they might be telling him he could be a fourth line guy next year. I could see him being a quick and pesky forechecker who could learn to kill penalties if he’s willing to do that. I just think he could really use another year of getting stronger.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
100% agree he should use the year to get physically stronger. He would shred college hockey next year, but be much more ready for the next level. The article references Carolina losing his rights next summer as a key motivator for them to get it done now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
100% agree he should use the year to get physically stronger. He would shred college hockey next year, but be much more ready for the next level. The article references Carolina losing his rights next summer as a key motivator for them to get it done now.
It’s paywalled so I can’t read it. I forget he did a year before heading to UND. That creates an interesting issue that I hadn’t thought about you must be referencing. Can a player spend an extra year in the ushl, then head to the NCAA and become a ufa after his junior year or does he have to do the four years in NCAA to get there?

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
A small excerpt:

If Blake returns to UND for his junior season, he could become a free agent next summer. Carolina doesn't want that to happen.

Odds are the Hurricanes will end up signing Blake. Nothing was finished as of Friday morning but it's moving in that direction.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It’s paywalled so I can’t read it. I forget he did a year before heading to UND. That creates an interesting issue that I hadn’t thought about you must be referencing. Can a player spend an extra year in the ushl, then head to the NCAA and become a ufa after his junior year or does he have to do the four years in NCAA to get there?
We talked about the graduation rules re: Morrow. Should be all about when the player is scheduled to graduate, which does not necessarily equate to four years.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.
For purposes of the above provisions, the term "graduation of his college class" shall mean the class with which the Player is scheduled to graduate during his final semester of attendance (as opposed to his matriculating class (the class with which he is expected to graduate as of the date of his original enrollment)). For purposes of clarity, a Player's graduating class may change during his tenure in college.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A small excerpt:

If Blake returns to UND for his junior season, he could become a free agent next summer. Carolina doesn't want that to happen.

Odds are the Hurricanes will end up signing Blake. Nothing was finished as of Friday morning but it's moving in that direction.
Sounds like they wouldn’t lose his rights until after his senior year, as per the post of @Lempo right after yours. His situation is unusual with the extra year of ushl though.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm no expert, but drafted in 21 and started college in the fall of 22 doesn't meet the criteria in the rule included in the post above. The beat writer is very clued in, so I would be surprised if he was wrong.
Dammit, now I know where my hiccup with these has been: the deadline is actually the 2nd June 1 after the draft, but it is presented in different sub-section in the CBA for the technical reason that in that scenario the player he must have once received his piss-poor Bona Fide Offer prior to the next draft for the team to retain his rights until that point (after that as a college player he needs not be given one):
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.

The beat writer probably knows something about his scheduled graduation then, but as the starting point the extra year in lower league should not change the situation in any meaningful name.

Can't remember the details, but I think these Bona Fide Offers to retain the player's rights past the first June 1 after the draft have so bad terms for especially the AHL that no one ever signs one.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
wait-for-it-hamilton.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad