OT: 103rd Obsequious Banter Thread: "Summertime, and the livin's easy."

If you had to fight a tortoise or a sloth, which do you choose?

• Tortoise

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Sloth

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Well now my fish are dead

but they were delicious
IR-jR2.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah the two big spots in the Northeast didn’t really get the attention beyond locals until like the last decade or so. Obviously it’s not a tourist part of the city & the locals in the center & southern part act like the northern part of the city doesn’t even exist. So it went under the radar for a while.

I think it was like Glen Macanow from WIP did his cheesesteak list with like 40 or so locations in & around the city I think that helped the perception. I think even he admitted much to his surprise that the Northeast low key had some really good spots. I think Steve’s, Joe’s, & the Grey Lodge were in his top 5-10. The Grey Lodge is now closed. At was like a bar/restaurant type place in Lower Mayfair.

The Grey Lodge was my favorite bar. I was a semi-regular for years. Their cheesesteak was Top 5 in the city from what I have had. Their fries were incredible as well. They were an essential bar in the early days of the craft beer movement in Philadelphia back in the 90's. They were also nationally recognized by publications like Esquire as being one of the best "gastropubs" in the country. I sorely miss it.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
And it's not like it's the same mistake Ferrari makes, nope. They find DIFFERENT ways of screwing up. Driver mistake, engine failure, throttle failure, not being ready for double stack (thus Leclerc lost time), wrong tyre strategy, keeping Leclerc behind Sainz too long despite former being faster; damn, it's even tough to keep track.

Thats the thing. THE thing for me. They have basically become a "What will they do now?!" meme for me, I have never been much of a Ferrari fan but I greatly admire the level of skill Leclerc is capable of showing. And this thing blowing up literally every week - always in a different way - has very quickly transcended from tragedy to comedy.

Yesterday pre-race I thought "there is no way Verstappen makes this; this will be a good afternoon for Ferrari". Then Leclerc had the lead and I thought "yup", then he got it again after Max's 360 slip and I thought "yup" again. And then Ferrari decides to panic as you said, and the panic culminated in the hilarious 14 lap white tire stint despite having all the knowledge at hand. W. T. F.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Thats the thing. THE thing for me. They have basically become a "What will they do now?!" meme for me, I have never been much of a Ferrari fan but I greatly admire the level of skill Leclerc is capable of showing. And this thing blowing up literally every week - always in a different way - has very quickly transcended from tragedy to comedy.

Yesterday pre-race I thought "there is no way Verstappen makes this; this will be a good afternoon for Ferrari". Then Leclerc had the lead and I thought "yup", then he got it again after Max's 360 slip and I thought "yup" again. And then Ferrari decides to panic as you said, and the panic culminated in the hilarious 14 lap white tire stint despite having all the knowledge at hand. W. T. F.
I literally am watching F1 again just to see what they can screw up. I was watching earlier to see if the new cars made a difference which they have but now it's... What can Ferrari f up this week?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I literally am watching F1 again just to see what they can screw up. I was watching earlier to see if the new cars made a difference which they have but now it's... What can Ferrari f up this week?

Just like with everything, The Simpsons found a way of expressing my thoughts way better in a way shorter piece of text

1659368770801.png

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
For those follically challenged...

Personally I just wear my hat at the beach to protect my monk spot...

Reactions: Tripod

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ferrari strategy is an absolute shitshow this year; it's unbelievable. Up until Leclerc was leading, they were in a safe spot, and I actually thought - car issues aside - how they could f*** THIS up. But then those people with combined IQ of a drunk starfish simply panicked after they noticed Max undercut. Panicked, just like that. They were screwed as soon as they pit Leclerc after so comparitively few laps on (second) mediums. Hards were awful that day (as evidenced by Alpine & Haas), but softs wouldn't had lasted till finish. It wasn't even series of mistakes or anything, just ''oh no RB is not doing what we expected, what now??!''. It's pathetic.

This sums it up:

I disagree, however, with those who say the season has lost all excitement now that Max WDC and RB WCC is nearly set in stone. We will absolutely see some exciting fight for 2-6 (WDC) and 2-3 (WCC) spots. It's sad, tho, that Ferrari incompetence has robbed us from Max vs Charles duel; we've seen flashes of it this season and it was amazing.

And it's not like it's the same mistake Ferrari makes, nope. They find DIFFERENT ways of screwing up. Driver mistake, engine failure, throttle failure, not being ready for double stack (thus Leclerc lost time), wrong tyre strategy, keeping Leclerc behind Sainz too long despite former being faster; damn, it's even tough to keep track.

It's Ferrari mentality - no one is bigger than team, no one speaks against the team, not publicly, and not internally. How Binotto tried to blame the CAR when everyone literally LAUGHED at them having to put hard tyres (which, as I said, was result of previous mistake) was pathetic. Yeah, sure, RB had pace and at some stretches Max was flying, but with proper strategy or at least non-disastrous strategy there's no way they would both finish outside podium. They (Ferrari) never take accountability, they are never wrong; it's always something else. They are fast to throw driver under the bus (example: France), but will never admit a tactical mistake.

On one hand we hear them saying ''plan A/plan C/plan E'' on team radio, on the other hand - they fail to normally react to, say, a bit of rain and Max perhaps being on slightly risky strategy. They completely set themselves on fire when something slightly unexpected happens and have a flexibility of my ankle when it was sprained and swollen.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, I am simply sorry for C.L.

I do not follow F1. But I have enough friends who do that I am aware when major things happen.

Ferrari's season is such an incredible, unbelievable gong show that I know more about this season than any other just by virtue of them doing terrible things.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
yay..i get to watch some cricket!!!!

i feel the word tyre is totally made up ..weird ass brits lol

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Better Call Saul has gotten so bleak, such a contrast from the earlier seasons. Incredible work.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I do not follow F1. But I have enough friends who do that I am aware when major things happen.

Ferrari's season is such an incredible, unbelievable gong show that I know more about this season than any other just by virtue of them doing terrible things.

Yup, my friends keep asking me what's so terrible about Ferrari this year and, honestly, there's no way of putting it in less than 10 sentences.

i feel the word tyre is totally made up ..weird ass brits lol
Had to Google it before hitting ''post'' as it seemed so off, haha.

Just saw this:

Ok, so maybe one can argue that it's not bad to avoid explicitly stating ''we f***ed up'' externally as long as internally measures/fixes are taken/done. But given their season trajectory thus far it's clear they really think what they say. Oof.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

"DON'T YOU DIE ON ME, BOB!!"

"You did all you could to save him, Terry. Bob sacrificed himself for the team. All we can do is put him out of his misery."

PEW

"Darn, missed."

PEW PEW

"Dang it!"

"I'll do it."

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

"Okay, well, let's just bury him alive."

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Better Call Saul has gotten so bleak, such a contrast from the earlier seasons. Incredible work.

Breaking Bad had the same feeling. I remember one of the last episodes where Walt has a phone convo with his wife, and they juxtapose it with another phone convo they had in like season 1.

The contrast between the two scenes is incredible.

Best production and writing crew around, imo.

Reactions: kudymen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad