100 things the NHL wished never happened

Rating:
3.33333/5,
  1. Robert Gordon Orr

Robert Gordon Orr Registered User

Yeah, that was a bad one, as was Roy and Varlamov.
    This one can eventually be added.

A few years ago I posted a list in another thread that included some of these things

Convicted criminals in NHL history

2. Iron Mike Sharpe

Iron Mike Sharpe Registered User

1982 - "Paul Mulvey Refuses To Leave Bench For Brawl"
    1982 - "Harry Neale Fights Fan"
    1982 - "Pete Peeters Sexually Assaults Jay Greenberg"

Bear of Bad News likes this.
  3. Robert Gordon Orr

Robert Gordon Orr Registered User

The Peeters/Greenberg incident was already on the list.
    I'll add the other two as there was some bad publicity for the league following the Mulvey and Neale incidents.

But yeah, that 1981/82 season was a bit wild.

- Several players were fined for stick swinging incidents.

- Ken Linseman kicking a player.

- Paul Holmgren punching referee Andy van Hellemond.

- Jimmy Mann sucker punching Paul Gardner, breaking his jaw in the process.

- Jimmy Mann was in hot water one more time for shoving a linesman.

- Paul Mulvey refusing to fight, resulting in his demotion and the suspension of the coach Don Perry.

- Chris Nilan throwing a puck at Paul Baxter in the penalty box.

- Harry Neale fighting the fan and being the first coach to receive a suspension that carried over to the playoffs.

- Terry O’Reilly punching Andy van Hellemond in the face

VaCaps Fan and Bear of Bad News like this.
  4. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

How the heck have I never heard that story before? Looking at Peeters' career that 1981-'82 season looked like a difficult one for him. Yet the next year he wins the Vezina, finishes 2nd in Hart voting and the year after that he wins a Canada Cup. Greenberg was always a joker, but I can see him rubbing some the wrong way. Would love to know how much of that is true though.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  5. MeHateHe

MeHateHe Registered User

Speaking of interactions with officials: Tom Lysiak got 20 games for tripping a linesman which, speaking as a referee and therefore someone who is hyper-sensitive to official abuse, I always thought was a bit harsh.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  6. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

Okay, this clearly shouldn't be on the list as it (a) isn't an actual "thing", and (b) if it were an actual thing, it's hardly bad in any way and doesn't have anything to do with the NHL.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  7. The Panther

His coaching stint with the Oilers was remarkably successful. He is the 2nd-best coach in franchise history.

The larger incident you refer to (from Boston) was obviously a tragedy and didn't do anyone any favors, but I don't really see that kind of one-off incident as something that reflects badly on the NHL. MacTavish did a(n unintentional) crime, did his time, expressed sincere regret, and has made efforts (financial, and probably otherwise) to compensate the family of the victim.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  8. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

Home Page:
    what is there to discuss except this is proof that the internet was always a cesspool of human scum

VaCaps Fan and seventieslord like this.
  9. ehhedler

ehhedler thus edler

Whether this actually happened or not, Greenberg was a journalist, right? But this alleged incident (I've heard/read about it sometime before, most likely on this board) is giving me strong hazing vibes. Also reminds me of the hazing thread regarding Canadian junior hockey that appeared on the mainboard not long ago. We have a hazing culture here in my home country too, mostly regarding new students at the gymnasium school level (when students are 16 years old) and/or in junior sports teams, but it's of course hard to get a good grip of the exact scope and type of hazing going on, because it's hardly reported on a lot by the perpetrators and/or the victims, and especially not if it goes a bit out of hand, I would guess.

If you google hazing though (through the Swedish word) you get a lot of pics of half naked students doing different kinds of semi-humiliating outdoor activities. I have no personal experience of it though because I'm a college dropout like my idol Kanye West. :rolleyes: (that last part of the sentence is a joke)

The worst public cases of hazing we've had here in Sweden during the last couple of years I can think of, i.e. cases reported on going to court, is 1) students at an upper class private school burning another student with a heated clothes iron device, and 2) players at an AIK Solna football/soccer junior club shoving clothes hangers up the rectums of other younger players of the same club (which is very close in nature to the alleged Peeters incident). I also remember an incident a couple of years ago where a girl claimed in a newspaper she almost died of alcohol poisoning after having been forced drinking too much at a school hazing ritual.

During the court proceedings (or during the police interrogation) regarding the AIK Solna junior football/soccer club incident, I remember one of the perpetrators said something along the line that he didn't imagining it being illegal (!) (or that big of a deal) since he (and other players his age, I believe he meant the other perpetrators) had experienced it himself/themselves when they were new players at the club. ehhedler himself have a hard time imagining why you would like to do such a thing to another person regardless of any personal experience of it as a recipient, but yeah, I guess sometimes team/school/societal cultures and group dynamics sucks pretty hard.

What I would like to say on a more general level is that incidents similar to the alleged Peeters incident most certainly have happened. Sometimes reality even surpasses fiction.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  10. Normand Lacombe

Normand Lacombe Registered User

1993- Gil Stein is inducted into the HHOF. Or so it seemed. After an investigation by two attorneys hired by Bettman, it was discovered that Stein had rigged the system by removing several directors of the HHOF board. When the charges came to light, Stein withdrew his name, but denied the charges.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  11. NDetroitFan

NDetroitFan Registered User

I’d have to add...

1997- Red Wings Limo Wreck, would love to have seen Konstantinov’s career run it’s course

12. DJ Man

DJ Man Registered User

Engineer
    Gosh! Take away all that stuff, what would we have to talk about here?

13. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

In 2017, on the eve of Ottawa's first outdoor game, the NHL 100 Classic between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk decided to use the occasion to highlight the possibility of moving the team if fan attendance didn't increase.

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk says low attendance could force him to move team

Ottawa (as well as Montreal fans) fans, having dropped hundreds of dollars on tickets for the event, were not pleased by the implication given the timing, leading to the first instance of the now prevalent #MelnykOut hashtag.

Sens fans get #MelnykOut trending in Canada after owner's comments - Sportsnet.ca

Gary Bettman himself was forced to give an interview on the subject.

NHL commissioner tries to calm waters after Melnyk’s words

This represents the beginning of the scandal-ridden annus horribilis period which included:
    -Senators fans renting billboards to draw attention to the #MelnykOut
    -Assistant GM Randy Lee being arrested, charged and pleading guilty to sexual harrassment
    -Erik Karlsson and wife accusing long-time Mike Hoffman's partner of online bullying
    -Video of Senators players complaining about coaching in an Uber circulated virally

Not sure if any of the above also qualify.

14. iamjs

iamjs Insert coin to continue

15. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

Domi vs Fan

16. The Panther

Yeah, some of those fan incidents are great! Rob Ray being the winner...

17. wetcoast

wetcoast Registered User

1982 Brain aneurysm
    2000 lumberjack
    2004 unprovoked attack
    2o11 Vancouver riot

all in Vancouver makes me shudder what might happen here in the next couple of years since we are due.

18. iamjs

iamjs Insert coin to continue

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  19. BobbyAwe

BobbyAwe Registered User

machine operator

Knocks down glass partition to fight Tie Domi. That guy's blood alcohol content must have been around 50% ?

20. BobbyAwe

BobbyAwe Registered User

machine operator

Wow - that quote from Cashman! Thanks, RGO.

iamjs likes this.
  21. Iron Mike Sharpe

1977 - Ken Linseman WHA lawsuit opens door for 18-year olds playing pro hockey
    1978 - Dale McCourt lawsuit vs. NHL, NHLPA, Red Wings & Kings after being awarded as compensation

22. Iron Mike Sharpe

After Peeters had a bad night in goal, Greenberg apparently roasted him in the press the next day, nicknaming him "Light Bulb." An incensed Peeters & a couple of accomplices held Greenberg down in the dressing room & shoved a light bulb up his ass. Greenberg never pressed charges, the embarrassing incident was downplayed as much as possible, but Peeters was shipped out to Boston. Imagine if something like this happened now: Peeters would be roasted on social media, be charged with assault & probably face a lifetime ban by the NHL. Instead, he was traded & continued to spend the rest of his career in the hockey biz.

23. heretik27

heretik27 Registered User

Not sure if it's deserving of the list, but the Philly bracelet thing from a few years back was certainly pretty embarrassing.

24. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Anyone else smirk a bit when the announcer said: "Show some class, this is Philly!"

Ummm.............nah, too easy

25. Normand Lacombe

Normand Lacombe Registered User

1996-Eric Lindros alleged friendship with Philadelphia mobster "Skinny" Joey Merlino.

The rumors started after Merlino was spotted sitting in Lindros complimentary seats during a game. Lindros denied knowing Merlino, while Merlino stated ,“I met the guy three times in my whole life.” After a few weeks of hoopla, the rumors went away.

Years later, a former girlfriend of a high ranking Philly mobster stated that Lindros did date one of Merlino's sisters a few times. The former girlfriend went on to add that Lindros and Merlino not only knew each other, but were "hanging out" with each other quite a bit during this time.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019