100 things the NHL wished never happened

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
1982 - "Paul Mulvey Refuses To Leave Bench For Brawl"
1982 - "Harry Neale Fights Fan"
1982 - "Pete Peeters Sexually Assaults Jay Greenberg"

The Peeters/Greenberg incident was already on the list.
I'll add the other two as there was some bad publicity for the league following the Mulvey and Neale incidents.

But yeah, that 1981/82 season was a bit wild.

- Several players were fined for stick swinging incidents.

- Ken Linseman kicking a player.

- Paul Holmgren punching referee Andy van Hellemond.

- Jimmy Mann sucker punching Paul Gardner, breaking his jaw in the process.

- Jimmy Mann was in hot water one more time for shoving a linesman.

- Paul Mulvey refusing to fight, resulting in his demotion and the suspension of the coach Don Perry.

- Chris Nilan throwing a puck at Paul Baxter in the penalty box.

- Harry Neale fighting the fan and being the first coach to receive a suspension that carried over to the playoffs.

- Terry O’Reilly punching Andy van Hellemond in the face

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
1982 - "Pete Peeters Sexually Assaults Jay Greenberg"

How the heck have I never heard that story before? Looking at Peeters' career that 1981-'82 season looked like a difficult one for him. Yet the next year he wins the Vezina, finishes 2nd in Hart voting and the year after that he wins a Canada Cup. Greenberg was always a joker, but I can see him rubbing some the wrong way. Would love to know how much of that is true though.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The Peeters/Greenberg incident was already on the list.
I'll add the other two as there was some bad publicity for the league following the Mulvey and Neale incidents.

But yeah, that 1981/82 season was a bit wild.

- Several players were fined for stick swinging incidents.

- Ken Linseman kicking a player.

- Paul Holmgren punching referee Andy van Hellemond.

- Jimmy Mann sucker punching Paul Gardner, breaking his jaw in the process.

- Jimmy Mann was in hot water one more time for shoving a linesman.

- Paul Mulvey refusing to fight, resulting in his demotion and the suspension of the coach Don Perry.

- Chris Nilan throwing a puck at Paul Baxter in the penalty box.

- Harry Neale fighting the fan and being the first coach to receive a suspension that carried over to the playoffs.

- Terry O’Reilly punching Andy van Hellemond in the face
Speaking of interactions with officials: Tom Lysiak got 20 games for tripping a linesman which, speaking as a referee and therefore someone who is hyper-sensitive to official abuse, I always thought was a bit harsh.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I didn't see Craig MacTavish on the list, and not just his coaching stint with the Oilers.
His coaching stint with the Oilers was remarkably successful. He is the 2nd-best coach in franchise history.

The larger incident you refer to (from Boston) was obviously a tragedy and didn't do anyone any favors, but I don't really see that kind of one-off incident as something that reflects badly on the NHL. MacTavish did a(n unintentional) crime, did his time, expressed sincere regret, and has made efforts (financial, and probably otherwise) to compensate the family of the victim.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
1993- Gil Stein is inducted into the HHOF. Or so it seemed. After an investigation by two attorneys hired by Bettman, it was discovered that Stein had rigged the system by removing several directors of the HHOF board. When the charges came to light, Stein withdrew his name, but denied the charges.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In 2017, on the eve of Ottawa's first outdoor game, the NHL 100 Classic between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk decided to use the occasion to highlight the possibility of moving the team if fan attendance didn't increase.

Speaking after the Senators Alumni Classic at the Canada 150 rink on Parliament Hill on Friday night, and on the eve of Saturday’s NHL 100 Classic between the Sens and the Montreal Canadiens, Melnyk said he has no intention of selling the franchise. But he didn’t rule out moving it.

“If we start not seeing crowds showing up, well yes, but for now, we’re on the cusp of doing okay,” Melnyk said.

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk says low attendance could force him to move team

Ottawa (as well as Montreal fans) fans, having dropped hundreds of dollars on tickets for the event, were not pleased by the implication given the timing, leading to the first instance of the now prevalent #MelnykOut hashtag.

“I’m not going to blow a lifetime of working hard to support a hockey team. It’s not gonna happen,” Melnyk told reporters Friday before a Senators alumni game on an outdoor rink at Parliament Hill.

“The bigger question is whether I’m prepared to blow all that money I made over many years in a different industry in a different country. How long can you underwrite a team?”

That did not go over well among the team’s fan base and drew some heat on social media.

Sens fans get #MelnykOut trending in Canada after owner's comments - Sportsnet.ca

Gary Bettman himself was forced to give an interview on the subject.

“I read (the comments),” Bettman said in an interview with Postmedia 90 minutes before the puck dropped on the NHL100 Classic Saturday night. “I haven’t even spoken to (Melnyk), but he didn’t say he was moving the franchise.

“And (you) can’t move the franchise unless you go through the league process and get board of governor approval. So, I just think this is much ado about nothing.”

Bettman acknowledged the timing of Melnyk’s outburst Friday took something away from Saturday’s game.

“The attention it’s getting … I would prefer it would be on the game,” he said. “But the game will be played and all of this talk will disappear and hopefully everybody will enjoy the evening.”

NHL commissioner tries to calm waters after Melnyk’s words

This represents the beginning of the scandal-ridden annus horribilis period which included:
-Senators fans renting billboards to draw attention to the #MelnykOut
-Assistant GM Randy Lee being arrested, charged and pleading guilty to sexual harrassment
-Erik Karlsson and wife accusing long-time Mike Hoffman's partner of online bullying
-Video of Senators players complaining about coaching in an Uber circulated virally

Not sure if any of the above also qualify.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1982 Brain aneurysm
2000 lumberjack
2004 unprovoked attack
2o11 Vancouver riot

all in Vancouver makes me shudder what might happen here in the next couple of years since we are due.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
1977 - Ken Linseman WHA lawsuit opens door for 18-year olds playing pro hockey
1978 - Dale McCourt lawsuit vs. NHL, NHLPA, Red Wings & Kings after being awarded as compensation

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
How the heck have I never heard that story before? Looking at Peeters' career that 1981-'82 season looked like a difficult one for him. Yet the next year he wins the Vezina, finishes 2nd in Hart voting and the year after that he wins a Canada Cup. Greenberg was always a joker, but I can see him rubbing some the wrong way. Would love to know how much of that is true though.

After Peeters had a bad night in goal, Greenberg apparently roasted him in the press the next day, nicknaming him "Light Bulb." An incensed Peeters & a couple of accomplices held Greenberg down in the dressing room & shoved a light bulb up his ass. Greenberg never pressed charges, the embarrassing incident was downplayed as much as possible, but Peeters was shipped out to Boston. Imagine if something like this happened now: Peeters would be roasted on social media, be charged with assault & probably face a lifetime ban by the NHL. Instead, he was traded & continued to spend the rest of his career in the hockey biz.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Not sure if it's deserving of the list, but the Philly bracelet thing from a few years back was certainly pretty embarrassing.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not sure if it's deserving of the list, but the Philly bracelet thing from a few years back was certainly pretty embarrassing.

Anyone else smirk a bit when the announcer said: "Show some class, this is Philly!"

Ummm.............nah, too easy

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
1996-Eric Lindros alleged friendship with Philadelphia mobster "Skinny" Joey Merlino.

The rumors started after Merlino was spotted sitting in Lindros complimentary seats during a game. Lindros denied knowing Merlino, while Merlino stated ,“I met the guy three times in my whole life.” After a few weeks of hoopla, the rumors went away.

Years later, a former girlfriend of a high ranking Philly mobster stated that Lindros did date one of Merlino's sisters a few times. The former girlfriend went on to add that Lindros and Merlino not only knew each other, but were "hanging out" with each other quite a bit during this time.
He says he’s one of the biggest hockey fans in the city.
He says he thinks Eric Lindros is “the best player in the NHL.”
And, in case anybody cares, he says he lost plenty betting on the Flyers during their dismal playoff run this year.
Joey Merlino, Passyunk Avenue coffee-shop impresario and reputed mob underboss, spoke out yesterday after two days of rumor and innuendo, fanned in large part by sports-talk radio station WIP (610-AM), about an alleged “relationship” between himself and the Flyers’ captain.
“It’s a crime,” said Merlino, who knows a little bit about that topic. “I met the guy three times in my whole life.”
What’s more, Merlino said, reports that Lindros was a friend of either of his sisters, Maria, 36, or Natalie, 19, are totally off base.
“He’s never met my sisters.”
Merlino, 33, said he was disgusted by the hype and frenzy over what he said was a non-story.
“I just want to clear the kid,” he said. “He did nothing wrong. Look, they’re gonna say and write whatever they want about me, but it’s a crime what they’re doin’ to him. . . . He makes $7 million a year. He don’t need this. . . .”
The Flyers, for their part, issued a statement saying they “will not respond to ridiculous, unfounded charges and innuendo.”​

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad