100 things the NHL wished never happened

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1925+ To add insult to injury, the Canadiens had to go to the Stanley Cup Finals instead of the league-tops Hamilton Tigers, and the NHL team lost the cup to the PCHA's Victoria Cougars, 3 games to 1, with a 6-1 last game shellacking at the hands of Frank Fredrickson & co.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1930 THE OFF-SIDE RULE DEBACLE. The league's new rules allowed opposing forwards to STAND all game long by the opposition's net awaiting a pass.

There was so much uproar and newspaper ridicule that the NHL changed the rules MID-SEASON!

That has to be one of the top-20 things the league wished never happened!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If certain posters (plural) can't spell out their disagreements without childish bickering and personal shots, there will be consequences. I'm not an impatient person, but having to do edit after edit on a tiny phone display while being outside in the winter cold is no fun.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
1996-Eric Lindros alleged friendship with Philadelphia mobster "Skinny" Joey Merlino.

The rumors started after Merlino was spotted sitting in Lindros complimentary seats during a game. Lindros denied knowing Merlino, while Merlino stated ,“I met the guy three times in my whole life.” After a few weeks of hoopla, the rumors went away.

Years later, a former girlfriend of a high ranking Philly mobster stated that Lindros did date one of Merlino's sisters a few times. The former girlfriend went on to add that Lindros and Merlino not only knew each other, but were "hanging out" with each other quite a bit during this time.

Pavel Bure also had some ties to an alleged mafia figure, Anzor Kikalishvili. Bure, contary to Lindros, didn't deny his friendship with Kikalishvili but claimed he wasn't involved in any criminal activities.

Quite a number of first wave Russian players to the NHL in the 90s (Mogilny, I think Tverdovsky too, etc.) were involved as victims or suspected victims of extortion from suspect figures after the fall of the USSR.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
i don’t condone or defend that stupid stupid act or that stupid stupid man. but unprovoked is the wrong adjective

I was only using the title from the OP and share your views.

The lead up, actual event and some actions afterwards all made for a very tragic and pathetic ordeal.

Naslund never really was the same player after the initial chicken wing incident which is often overlooked.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Pavel Bure also had some ties to an alleged mafia figure, Anzor Kikalishvili. Bure, contary to Lindros, didn't deny his friendship with Kikalishvili but claimed he wasn't involved in any criminal activities.

Quite a number of first wave Russian players to the NHL in the 90s (Mogilny, I think Tverdovsky too, etc.) were involved as victims or suspected victims of extortion from suspect figures after the fall of the USSR.

Roman Lyanshenko was a name that popped up for the same reasons. When he died of a suspected suicide there were whispers of a mob connection. Not saying it is true, just saying this is what was said at the time. Then again, the idea that a Russian dies under suspicious circumstances seemed to automatically tie it to the Mafia, which isn't always accurate.

Then again, he did not have a good NHL career, very short and looked like a bust. I remember being impressed with him at the 1999 WJCs against Canada. Maybe the projection of what he could have been had an affect on him perhaps and he sunk into depression?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
His coaching stint with the Oilers was remarkably successful. He is the 2nd-best coach in franchise history.

The larger incident you refer to (from Boston) was obviously a tragedy and didn't do anyone any favors, but I don't really see that kind of one-off incident as something that reflects badly on the NHL. MacTavish did a(n unintentional) crime, did his time, expressed sincere regret, and has made efforts (financial, and probably otherwise) to compensate the family of the victim.

I have always wondered about that. People forget MacTavish was a Bruin, and he was a Bruin for a few years too before the drunk driving incident. Then he spends a year in jail and then he gets out, gets traded to Edmonton and wins a bunch of Cups.

I always wondered, what did the family think of this on-ice success that happened to him? Did they forgive him quite easily? No doubt MacTavish had the means to make up a bit of the loss from a financial perspective. But it was still a human loss. Just wondering, because I remember the forgiveness the Snyder family gave to Heatley immediately after the incident, even Dan's father talking about it at the memorial in a show of forgiveness I don't think I have ever seen before.

This is close to where I live, I am not sure if the Snyder's have some Mennonite ties in Elmira, Ontario, but I always saw that show of forgiveness as parallel to how Mennonites have always acted.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Though the ‘94 Lockout is on the list, RGO, please consider adding Chris Chelios’ threat to Gary Bettman:

"If I was Gary Bettman, I'd worry about my family, about my well-being right now," Chelios said. "Some crazed fan or even a player-who knows?-might take it into his own hands and figure if they can get him out of the way, this might be settled. You hate to see something like that happen, but he took the job."

Reactions: MXD

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I was only using the title from the OP and share your views.

The lead up, actual event and some actions afterwards all made for a very tragic and pathetic ordeal.

Naslund never really was the same player after the initial chicken wing incident which is often overlooked.

ah, i see. i changed my post so that it quotes the OP, not you.

as for my views, steve moore poked the dumbest most hotheaded and irrational bear imaginable. one of the biggest scariest guy in the league who literally has a history of impulsively doing violent things to avenge teammates. i think that counts as a provocation. not to say he had it coming, because nobody does. but it's not like he was just sitting there minding his own business writing the analects when all of a sudden out of nowhere he happened to get attacked then dogpiled.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
1983-Ed Kea nearly dies from an on ice injury. For years, the media and others would lecture about the Kea incident as a good example of the need for mandatory helmets, as Kea was not wearing one when he suffered the traumatic injuries that he had to live with for the remainder of his life. However, I am of the view that while a helmet may have spared him of some of that immediate and severe trauma, George McPhee's hit was still that type of a blindside one tied to the "finishing your check" type of play that likely should not have taken place to begin with. One can likely visualize that if McPhee hit another player, maybe younger and wearing a helmet, that player likely would have still been very badly shaken up (likely with a concussion) and probably be playing too soon afterward again and more vulnerable to another concussion. Steve Payne's problems are a very good example of something like this.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Spent a good hour googling some of these, thanks Orr!! Shocked that I haven’t heard of quite a few on the list.

Not much on the Mark Messier/Pavel Bure “party incident” but I am sure I pieced it together.

The Barry Tabobondung story made me laugh hard 😂😂😂

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The Barry Tabobondung story made me laugh hard 😂😂😂

I missed the entry on the list and googled Tabobondung’s name, with the first thing I read being about him sacrificing his life rescuing his son who’d fallen off a road grader. Didn’t quite see the humor in that, though it seems safe to say Tabobondung lead a life marked by a couple of really weird accidents.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Shit no disrespect intended, I googled and got this story sorry…

“Tabobondung attended the 1981 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal, in only the second year that junior players other than first round prospects attended the draft. He was selected with the 47th pick in the third round by the Philadelphia Flyers. Tabobondung, who was sitting in the high sections of the Montreal Forum, was so excited to meet the Flyers representatives at the draft that he began climbing over the seats rather than using the steps. At one point his leg became caught in a seat, where he was stuck for two hours until arena maintenance was able to remove the entire row of seats to free him.[3] NHL executive vice-president Brian O'Neill joked that the Flyers could be sure Tabobondung would be available for all of their games in Montreal”

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Shit no disrespect intended, I googled and got this story sorry…

“Tabobondung attended the 1981 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal, in only the second year that junior players other than first round prospects attended the draft. He was selected with the 47th pick in the third round by the Philadelphia Flyers. Tabobondung, who was sitting in the high sections of the Montreal Forum, was so excited to meet the Flyers representatives at the draft that he began climbing over the seats rather than using the steps. At one point his leg became caught in a seat, where he was stuck for two hours until arena maintenance was able to remove the entire row of seats to free him.[3] NHL executive vice-president Brian O'Neill joked that the Flyers could be sure Tabobondung would be available for all of their games in Montreal”

Haha, I didn’t mean it like that, and I did read the stuck in seat-story the next thing and it was very amusing, was disappointed to find out there didn’t seem to be any video evidence (on Youtube at least).

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->