100 Point Seasons - MTL History

Jul 6, 2016
Crazy turn around in staff indeed… I’d take #62 back and leave it at that
Lehkonen, Toffoli and Danault should still be Habs. Even KK (the mistake was done at the draft table...). It would had meant, no Dvorak, no Hoffman, no Barron, and hopefully, no more Armia.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Lehkonen, Toffoli and Danault should still be Habs. Even KK (the mistake was done at the draft table...). It would had meant, no Dvorak, no Hoffman, no Barron, and hopefully, no more Armia.
They’d make the team better right now, but those same players were pretty low on the standings whenever Price got hurt. PD scoring like never was a big frustration for me (mentioning since the thread is about offensive prowess).

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can't speak much for the 86 team other than how it looked on paper, which was pretty good in retrospect especially with what Roy would become.

I can speak for the 93 team.... A team with the 6th best record and over 100 points back when there were no three point games. That was with Roy having a pedestrian season by his standards.

It's also hard to justify a 16-4 run in the playoffs as a fluke, including 16-2 in the final 18 games. Thats pretty convincing no matter who you are playing.
St Patrick couldn’t make it past 1st period before being pulled in both regular season games vs Oilers in 86. Habs would’ve got obliterated were it not for the fortune of Steve Smith scoring in his own net.

Habs hadn’t lost to Bruins in playoffs for 40+ years until St Patrick repeatedly s*it the bed vs Bs - gift wrapping Cam Neely blue line slappers..

Had Sabres not pulled off that “miracle on ice” in 93, that would’ve been 4th consecutive year Habs would’ve been bounced by Bruins in playoffs w Roy performing subpar - on cue St Patrick s*it the bed vs Bs yet again in 1994

Bottom line: you can only try to control your own destiny, every team plays with the same rules & boundary conditions - which resulted in 86, 93 Cup Wins and 22 Cup final appearance.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
St Patrick couldn’t make it past 1st period before being pulled in both regular season games vs Oilers in 86. Habs would’ve got destroyed were it not for the fortune of Steve Smith scoring in his own net.

Habs hadn’t lost to Bruins in playoffs for 40+ years until St Patrick repeatedly s*it the bed vs Bs - gift wrapping Cam Neely blue line slappers..

Had Sabres not pulled off that “miracle on ice” in 93, that would’ve been 4th consecutive year Habs would’ve been bounced by Bruins in playoffs - on cue St Patrick s*it the bed vs Bs yet again in 1994

There's no way to know for sure exactly how things end up if the road was different. We can speculate about that every year with the eventual cup winners.

As for Neely, yes, Roy has gone on record and said that he's was the toughest guy he faced, so he was probably in his head. Again though, who knows how it goes.

As for 94, I think that was the series where Roy had the emergency appendicitis procedure, so it was a strange one. It also featured one of his greatest games as a Hab in my opinion when they stole a 2-1 ot result in the old garden in a 60 save performance.

Reactions: barbu

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
In b4 some dude says we shoulda drafted Michkov
Should have

I think Suzuki and Caufield can do it if we had a better PP. Needs more parts. I really don't care about the optimistic narrative. It's possible and no, not going to hold my breath.
Haha stop , maybe if scoring goes up and there's 30 100 point players . But common 100 points in Montreal for Suzuki or Caufield? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My man Pete Mahovlich, and Mats Nasluund our last 100 point guy. Then it gets hard for me. I'll go Lafleur because who else could it be and Shutt because he scored 60 goals so maybe he got 40 assists.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I was a fan. Fans expected a 320pt season seeing as I kept hearing he’d only show up for one in four.
No kidding. Alexei Kovalev had given us an honest effort and he was always proud to wear the Habs uniform.

He got so much heat and it was never justified imo. We always expect more out of him but in hindsight he had given us plenty already.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
No kidding. Alexei Kovalev had given us an honest effort and he was always proud to wear the Habs uniform.

He got so much heat and it was never justified imo. We always expect more out of him but in hindsight he had given us plenty already.
He got the heat when he pulled that stupid stunt with the hand and cost us the game. Lol I really thought Souray might kill him ...." do you just give up on the play ?..". Then the Magic Man shows up and what an upset.

Guy had balls to resign here, but he wanted the microscope, the pressure, and the passion for the game. He knew we appreciated his talent more than anyplace in the NHL. God we crave talent and skill here, but for the most part the bozos at the top have just spooned us this gruel of " solid" two way play. Zzzzzz.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The oilers had 3 100 pt players last year alone, lol. They have to have upwards of 25 century players.

holy shit the Oilers have had 40 players with 100 pt seasons!!
They had 10 guys do it, not 40.

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
It’s a business, what the heck do you guys expect. Start rioting and protesting and I bet you see things change.

Le End.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Lafleur and Shutt were easy, then the frst name that came to me was Damphousse. He got 97, then I thought of Pierre Turgeon but he failed at 96, but he did get 132 with NYI. I missed Naslund, shame on me and Mahovlich I wouldn't have guessed. Richer also came to mind, but 91 was his best.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Kovalev was up and down in Montreal, just like his career in general.

There were times that he deserved heat in Montreal. Kovalev marches to the beat of his own drum, and sometimes, it lead to a very frustrating product on the ice.

07/08, he showed exactly what he can do when he's on all season. 08/09 was a regression again but he finished the year on a roll, and salvaged it just enough on an individual level. The team was already beyond the point of being saved, however.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Kovalev was up and down in Montreal, just like his career in general.

There were times that he deserved heat in Montreal. Kovalev marches to the beat of his own drum, and sometimes, it lead to a very frustrating product on the ice.

07/08, he showed exactly what he can do when he's on all season. 08/09 was a regression again but he finished the year on a roll, and salvaged it just enough on an individual level. The team was already beyond the point of being saved, however.
Have we forgotten Gainey wanting to “have a chat” with Kovalev following a brutal 06-07 season?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Have we forgotten Gainey wanting to “have a chat” with Kovalev following a brutal 06-p07 season?

Nope, I remember he actually found himself on the 4th line that year.

Like I said, he had his ups and downs.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If we adjust for eras, both in terms of games played and scoring environment, we would have several extra 100 pts scorers in our history. Probably the most out of all teams.

Right off the bat we've had 5 Art Ross winners (Béliveau, Moore, Geoffrion, Lach and Lafleur), then you add Morenz who won scoring championships and Toe Blake who led the league in scoring in 1939 (both pre-Art Ross), obviously Maurice Richard who finished 2nd a gazillion times, Newsy Lalonde who was an elite scorer in the 1910s, and probably Aurèle Joliat who finished 2nd in pts twice. There might be more.

All those guys who would have scored 100 pts post-expansion.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Should have

Haha stop , maybe if scoring goes up and there's 30 100 point players . But common 100 points in Montreal for Suzuki or Caufield? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How would you know? They are just touching prime years and there will be growth. Especially if the roster has talent around them.

Call me crazy but I think it's possible in their age 25-30 years. Am I banking on it? NO. Now you probably have in your head that I am saying they will for sure. What a great debate that warrants you to come out with a "haha stop" opening line. :facepalm:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
How would you know? They are just touching prime years and there will be growth. Especially if the roster has talent around them.

Call me crazy but I think it's possible in their age 25-30 years. Am I banking on it? NO. Now you probably have in your head that I am saying they will for sure. What a great debate that warrants you to come out with a "haha stop" opening line. :facepalm:
All I'm saying is a universe where cole and Nick put up 100 points is a universe where there's 30 100 point scorers in the league.

Would it still have the same merit as a milestone

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All I'm saying is a universe where cole and Nick put up 100 points is a universe where there's 30 100 point scorers in the league.

Would it still have the same merit as a milestone

Easy to say today but we don't know how their prime years end up. They are young and still improving while at the same time, we are adding more talent around them. What you think today can change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad