100 Point Seasons - MTL History

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Not sure how many of have tried or play Immaculate Grid: Hockey

They had a trivia question today regarding Montreal Canadiens players who have scored 100 or more points in a season. Was surprised that only 4 players have ever reached this milestone in our franchise history. Can you name them?

Guy Lafleur x6
Pete Mahovlich x2
Mats Naslund
Steve Shutt

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Lafleur and Mahovilich I knew. Naslund I suspected but I completely forgot Shutt scored 100. 2/4 for me.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
le sigh~* gifs | WiffleGif

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think this curse gets broken but it might take 5+ years. Suzuki and Caufield have a shot at it for sure but our PP needs to improve and that might not happen until our D is mature. Especially Hutson.

I knew Naslund was the last one. Started watching the Habs in 86 so don't remember much before that.

Reactions: BLONG7

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I wonder how much of a drop off in pp pts top scorers took after they ruled a goal nulls the pp. Heard Naslund mention his own stats were inflated because of it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Insane..................how bad our offensive output has been since the late 80's and early 90's
Crazy bad........
Muller Damphousse and Bellows all got pretty close, the last time we won the Cup in 93

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Lafleur, Mahovlich, Naslund and Steve Shutt.

Sad history. Very sad.
That’s the key word “history”… it’s not MB, Therrien, Julien, Gainey, Houle…. Napier over Bossy under the watch of legendary Sam Pollock was the epitome of the issue Or Mark Messier’s old man being told your sons not an NHL caliber player at the draft, despite desperately trying to get Habs to draft him.

Players were regularly hitting 100pts in the 80s yet Serge Savard & crew were unable to draft and develop even one of them…. and let’s not forget the generational blunder of missing out on former Soviets as the wall came down.

For 35-years Habs also had the GOAT player development coaches in Claude Ruel, yet pffft…

Cluster f*ck of epic proportions..

Insane..................how bad our offensive output has been since the late 80's and early 90's
Crazy bad........
Muller Damphousse and Bellows all got pretty close, the last time we won the Cup in 93
None were top-25 in league scoring

Simply put Habs management has been unable to compete with their peers from the time the league expanded past original 6, once more management competition came into play

Pollock gets lots of kudos for maneuvering to get Lafleur pick, but what’s not mentioned is Molson brothers authorized $2M payout to Jack Kent Cook (Kings owner) to ensure the deal went through due to his debt issues at the time. Once Jacobs, Wirtz and other owners furiously rebelled against such under the table payouts, Habs management has achieved diddly squat

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Ah! I had not googled cheers :) I (wrongly) remembered it was post oilers dynasty :) My man Mats with his true very manly 110 still stands in my heart then!
Ha, I think I know where the confusion is. IIRC, what the Oilers dynasty changed was the rule of a 4vs4 when two penalties were called simultaneously. Now it stays at 5vs5. The Oilers were suspected of using that rule to get unfair advantage with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey on the ice on a 4 on 4....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The oilers had 3 100 pt players last year alone, lol. They have to have upwards of 25 century players.

holy shit the Oilers have had 40 players with 100 pt seasons!!
You would think it would translate into more Cup wins. But the reality is the playoffs are a completely different animal. How many cups did those 40 players win?
I think our 4 won 15 total.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This organization has been obsessed with propping up the goalie position since forever, so while that isn't the sole explanation, I think it is a factor.

We've built teams and our identity around goaltenders.
Frank Selke Sr 1947 implementation of 200-ft game…

Reactions: 417

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
You would think it would translate into more Cup wins. But the reality is the playoffs are a completely different animal. How many cups did those 40 players win?
I think our 4 won 15 total.
I think if you add it up Gretz, Kurri, Messier & Anderson’s rings with 100pt seasons they might have us beat.

theOutsider

Jun 18, 2012
100-point seasons leading to cups for MTL/EDM

Guy Lafleur: 4/6
Peter Mahovlich: 1/2
Steve Shutt: 1/1
Mats Naslund: 1/1
MTL: 7/10

Wayne Gretzky: 4/9
Glenn Anderson: 0/3
Jari Kurri: 3/6
Mark Messier: 4/5
Paul Coffey: 2/3
Jimmy Carson: 0/1
Doug Weight: 0/1
Connor McDavid: 0/6
Leon Draisaitl: 0/4
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: 0/1
EDM: 13/39

Reactions: BJCOLLINS and barbu

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Ha, I think I know where the confusion is. IIRC, what the Oilers dynasty changed was the rule of a 4vs4 when two penalties were called simultaneously. Now it stays at 5vs5. The Oilers were suspected of using that rule to get unfair advantage with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey on the ice on a 4 on 4....
Thanks! Yes that is what I probably remembered :)

Reactions: Paddyjack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad