10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
I have never bought this narrative. It doesn't make any sense.

Nothing would be more profitable than post season success. If the Leafs won the cup ticket prices go up , luxury box prices go up, more jersey sales, more amazon specials , more games in the ACC, more revenue all around.

Greedy corporations don't want less money, they want more money. The blame here is on people making hockey operation decisions.
that's the oddity about MLSE, they are content to have regular season success. If they want post season success they would need to sell the team to single owner but Rogers and Bell won't , why ? Because they like how much money the current setup (Leafs, Raptors, Argo's etc , etc) is making them. Look at all the last Cup winners in the last 20 years, all single person owners, not this two corporation board setup with a president. Rogers and Bell board can't agree on many issues even down to what to do with players. You just can't have this setup if you want to win in today's NHL

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
that's the oddity about MLSE, they are content to have regular season success. If they want post season success they would need to sell the team to single owner but Rogers and Bell won't , why ? Because they like how much money the current setup (Leafs, Raptors, Argo's etc , etc) is making them. Look at all the last Cup winners in the last 20 years, all single person owners, not this two corporation board setup with a president. Rogers and Bell board can't agree on many issues even down to what to do with players. You just can't have this setup if you want to win in today's NHL
:laugh: You're joking, right?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don't know where you got this narrative from. It's claiming to have inside knowledge Board of directors dynamics. It just doesn't fly in the face of common sense.

Post season success would be exponentially more profitable and they are already spending way more on development, coaching, scouting, players than literally everyone.

All to be satisfied with a decent regular season? I don't buy it. It's some vestigial conspiracy theory carried down from the Ballard years when it absolutely was true.

No I'm sorry but the explanation if far more boring: the organization has made poor player, management & coaching choices which haven't planned out.

Reactions: ACC1224

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
:laugh: You're joking, right?
The one owner is better argument made a lot more sense in the pre-cap era, when an owner like Mike Illitch could spent a f***ton of money to buy a Cup and corporate ownership not wanting to go too high was a liability, but not so much anymore. Having corporate ownership hasn't stopped the Leafs from spending to the cap. And they spend way way more money on behind-the-scenes stuff than pretty much every other team in the league.

Reactions: ACC1224

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No I'm sorry but the explanation if far more boring: the organization has made poor player, management & coaching choices which haven't planned out.
This thread should really be ended with this. It is succinct and accurate.

Also, Shanahan won't be going anywhere after this year. The team will have enough success to justify keeping him in place.

Reactions: Kazparov

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know where you got this narrative from. It's claiming to have inside knowledge Board of directors dynamics. It just doesn't fly in the face of common sense.

Post season success would be exponentially more profitable and they are already spending way more on development, coaching, scouting, players than literally everyone.

All to be satisfied with a decent regular season? I don't buy it. It's some vestigial conspiracy theory carried down from the Ballard years when it absolutely was true.

Many have confused incompetence with indifference. Anyone who thinks they don’t want to win has never bought a playoff ticket

Reactions: torontoblood

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Made the playoffs last 8 straight years, who’s his replacement? Or do we worry about that after the fact? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad