10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I am getting tired of reading “fire Keefe” or “Dubas signed those deals” etc etc.

Shanahan hired all these guys and signed off on every contract, trade, and signing. He has had 10 years and hasn’t taken us anywhere one of us HFers couldn’t.

It’s time to move on. Start from the top (or as high up as we can go) and instil an identity in this franchise.

Fire Shanahan. I don’t care who has hurt feelings.

Every single fan just wants to win a cup and I don’t feel like anyone in management or on the team apart from a couple guys gives two f’s about a cup.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Unless we miss the playoffs this year, I don’t see how Shanahan gets fired. And even then I am not 100% sure he will be.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Unless we miss the playoffs this year, I don’t see how Shanahan gets fired. And even then I am not 100% sure he will be.
He took us from 0 playoff round wins in 10 years before him to 1 playoff round win in 10 years with him.

If you told any of us 6-7 years ago that we’d be in this position we’d all laugh in your face. At what point does this become unacceptable and he is held accountable?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I’m not even sure the majority of the fans aren’t okay with what the team is. Shanahan and his band of merry men(minus Tavares) could be a thing for another decade. The thought of that playing out is a little depressing but it is a possibility.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
When you wish upon a star.

Shanahan is living in a dream world. He keeps on pretending that everything is wonderful. Putting his trust into the same four forwards that have failed so many times already.

Wishing his stars finally get the job done.

It doesn't take ten years to turn a team into a contender. So you'd think the quintessential life long hockey man could ice a contending team if given a decade to do so. Ten years later and Shanahan still hasn't delivered.

Even if this team was a dumpster fire when he took over, which it was, just getting a few more points in the regular season isn't enough improvement to keep this moron around.

Lots of commenters over the years have suggested Shanahan is stupid. I think they're right but there's also something else going on. Fairy tales can come true, they can to you, type of deal.

It's called magical thinking.

Reactions: TMLife17

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Shanahan was handed everything. He was allowed to tear apart the team and rebuild- something I don't ever remember happening in Toronto. He was able to hire the most coveted head coach and one of the most decorated GM's, was well as having a seemingly limitless budget to spend everywhere else. He was even given the green light to tank and, eventually, obtain an absolute wealth of young talent that almost any of team would envy.

Yet, we've won one playoff series, and we barely even won that.

His hiring of Dubas is unexplainable, and the decision to pull a 180 and blow up his very own "Shanaplan" by signing Tavares was also difficult to comprehend.

I cannot believe Shannan still has a job.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
The regulation wins - RW column is especially disturbing...

1705491560184.png

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
The regulation wins - RW column is especially disturbing...

View attachment 804998

Yeah this is something else. They're 25th in the league in regulation wins.
I understand folks will say "OT wins count"
okay...they're 25th in the league with regulation or overtime wins as well.

This just isn't a good team. It's not constructed well. Bottom 6 is atrocious, and the defense is worse.
Goaltending is goaltending. It's been okay, to downright awful.

They'll still probably make the playoff as the rest of the division isn't good and Matthews will make the playoffs himself. On pace for nearly 70 goals. Incredible.

Make the playoffs? Probably.

Win a round. Extremely slim chance of beating Florida. Even less of a chance of beating Boston/New York if they drop to a wildcard spot.

Cup contender? lol.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I posted my thoughts in another thread, but I think they're more appropriate here.

Where the team is, there's two parts to it. The good news is they were able to acquire high-end talent, and none of those guys on the team are currently busts. When you have a top four, maybe a top five this good... You're pretty much guaranteed to have a good team. Good enough to make the playoffs just about every year.

The bad part of that is, you don't have any bargains when giving out contracts to these guys. Sure. You may not be drastically overpaying them, but most teams have bargains. This team doesn't. What that means is you're also guaranteed not to be great. You just don't have enough money to bring in higher quality guys for the bottom half of the roster.

So you're going to be good every year. You're probably not going to be great any year.

Now management can change that. When any of these guys are up for their new deal and they insist on top dollar, management could decide to trade them. Get assets and return, use that money on something else. But they haven't. Why? I think that they're stubborn and they just want to prove to everyone that their way is the right way that they're not going to move off of that.
If it's true, and they're more worried about making sure they prove to everyone, they are correct instead of taking a chance, then that's why this team is where it is.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
We got a new general manager in the off season. But yet what has changed? The biggest move was resigning one of your own to a long-term contract.

Maybe it's a good decision. Maybe it's a bad decision, but we simply changed the name plate on the door of the general manager's office, we're getting the same from that office.

Reactions: rumman and TMLife17

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
We got a new general manager in the off season. But yet what has changed? The biggest move was resigning one of your own to a long-term contract.

Maybe it's a good decision. Maybe it's a bad decision, but we simply changed the name plate on the door of the general manager's office, we're getting the same from that office.

I agree with you for the most part....except the (big) players he brought in.

Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves, Klingberg.

All have been terrible.

The PTO's and fill in guys haven't been too bad.. Gregor, Benoit, Jones etc have been okay, they're just in over their heads.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
For such a tough, dynamic player in his day it's incredible what an indecisive, flaccid executive he turned into, afraid to pivot from a plan that for (checks calendar when JT was signed) SIX YEARS HASN'T WORKED.

The whole lot of them can go for all I care, this team has been crippled beyond repair.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
this team isn't going anywhere until Dubie's high priced garbage is off the team (JT/Brodie)

Gio's cheap but he washed and needs to go and how the f*** did that idiot think McCabe was worth a 1st/2nd ?

Reactions: rutz and TMLife17

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
For such a tough, dynamic player in his day it's incredible what an indecisive, flaccid executive he turned into, afraid to pivot from a plan that for (checks calendar when JT was signed) SIX YEARS HASN'T WORKED.

The whole lot of them can go for all I care, this team has been crippled beyond repair.
They fired the GM for talking like that.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

And that's the really sad part, it can't be fixed. We've 100% got to let Tavares walk. Without a doubt. Then unfortunately you've probably got to let Marner walk or trade Nylander before his NTC kicks in.

At that point, we have cap room, but then what? Overpay aging FAs again? That's our only option.

There's no real help coming from previous draft picks. We spent 5 years drafting the same player, so we just going to add them into the already mentally soft team?

We don't even know if we have a goalie. The defense is really poor. Gio and Brodie have to be let go, so we've got Rielly, Liljegren, McCabe and Benoit.

We somehow need to add 2 top 4 dmen.

We have precious little in tradeable assets.

It's so depressing that a section of this fanbase has been saying that this is happening for the last 5 years. The team was dying a slow death from 1000 papercuts, due to the decisions made over the last 5 years. It didn't take Nostradamus to easily see this shit coming.

And now, there is absolutely no way to get out of this anytime soon.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Shanny is the reason they doubled down on the core last summer. f***ing moron
I believe this is why fans are so upset. There doesn't seem to be a plan besides just keep running it back.

If Dubas hadn't had that press conference even he would be back.

The Leafs have a group of insanely talented forwards. For whatever reason they just don't seem to be able to collectively put it all together. Frustration from fans is nearing an all time high.

The last option it seems for Shanny now is to replace Keefe. I don't believe that change alone will result in an Edmonton type turnaround but it might be a start

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
this team isn't going anywhere until Dubie's high priced garbage is off the team (JT/Brodie)

Gio's cheap but he washed and needs to go and how the f*** did that idiot think McCabe was worth a 1st/2nd ?

Treliving had $14 million in cap space this year and pissed it away. But apparently everything is the last guys fault lol

Brodie gave this team great player for years. Treliving spent about the same on John Klingberg and you guys can't bring yourselves to criticize him. Pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad