GDT: #10 | "Room For One More" | Rangers @ Oilers | Nov 5 2021, 7:30 PM | SNW, 630 CHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers definitely had a run of terrible GMs starting with Tambo but to act like Lowe wasn't right there beside Tambo and MacT would be rewriting history. Remember Oil Change? Every draft day, free agency day, trade deadline day, Lowe was sitting in that room beside Tambo working alongside him. The guy was very involved and I think we were all aware of it.

There's a reason why Oilers fans were buying ads in newspapers, putting up billboards and protesting outside the Oilers offices trying to get Lowe fired as late as 2015. Barely anyone on this forum had anything nice to say about him around that time.

Again, I realize he's being honoured for what he did as a player, the majority of which happened before I was born. I don't have a problem with what the Oilers are doing. All I'm saying is I have a hard time dissociating Lowe from his tenure in management and can't really respect him as much as someone who might have seen him play.
Then don't watch. He was fantastic as a player and I have nothing but respect for him for the blood sweat and tears he gave this organization. This is his day in the sun recognition and I'm glad he's being honoured.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone follow the rangers much?

How is their season going so far?

To focus on the actual hockey tonight - I've followed them a bit and frankly it seems like Gallant is a bad fit. They seem to have lost a bit of their offensive rhythm from the past two years, and are riding Sherty...Shesty...their great young Russian Goalie to the wins they have. Having Lafreniere on the 4th line for instance confuses the heck out of me. That said, they've still got some firepower and their D structure hasn't been bad, so they're no pushovers. IMO could be a frustrating game for us between that and their strong goaltending.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
On the Rangers board one comment was “ Hunt McDavid” .
Reaves is one tuff SOB. In saying that, we have a few able lads. I don’t want Nurse fighting but I guarantee that if u looked at McDavid the wrong way, “ Doc” will give u some medicine

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Sure, Lowe was a better GM than Tambo or MacT but Lowe hired those guys. Lowe was the architect of the Decade of Darkness.

I'm too young to have ever seen him play and aside from 06 I can't think of anything fond to say about his time as GM here. I'm a low tier fan though so I doubt he cares. I don't find "he was better than the replacements he hired" to be convincing at all.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Should be a good game.

I had the Rags pegged as the best team in the Metro when the season began... with Caps and Canes not far behind. They have decent forwards and great goaltending so they won't be a pushover.

Oilers are the better team BUT on any given night the Rangers can be a difficult team to beat. Like with the Oilers I think their D is their weakness but imo they are built similarly to the Oilers... good forwards... mediocre/below average D and good goaltending (and yes the Oilers have good goaltending... as it's in the top 10 in the NHL so far in sv pct and I expect it to remain there this season as they were 8th last season and 14th the season before that).

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Why are we talking about Lowe as a GM? This is honoring him as a player lol.

Anyways, wonder who starts. Look at the Islanders. Sorokin has played every minute there.

I say keep Kosko, but whenever he falters (2 bad goals), pull him quickly.

Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think Tippett is capable of pulling a goalie quickly... it's his MO to wait until the game is completely out of grasp and then wait a little longer and then think about replacing the goalie... and then wait and... then when that last goal against sinks them is when he decides... ok no chance to win... in you go new guy... let's see you get this team back from a 5 goal deficit in 1 period of play.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hope we don't lose to Shestchers tonight.

Why are we talking about Lowe as a GM? This is honoring him as a player lol.

Anyways, wonder who starts. Look at the Islanders. Sorokin has played every minute there.

I say keep Kosko, but whenever he falters (2 bad goals), pull him quickly.

Thats cause Varly has been out and when he cleared himself to come back - Zoro decided to get b2b shutouts. There's not a coach in the NHL that would put the starter back in at that point. Even Tip has alluded to not hurrying Smith back because Kosk has been above average and he may play Skinner one game.

Rags probably start Igor.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ok I get why that sounds contradictory but could you or someone else enlighten me on what made this player so special? I mean to my understanding he was a good player but besides playing a lot of games is there any other real reason on why number 4 should be retired? I'm fine with taking correction if I'm wrong.

While the bar for Edmonton is really high for jersey retirements (HHOF induction) almost any franchise that he would have done what he did for the Edmonton Oiler organization even minus the 5 cup wins where he was probably the 6th or 7th most important player it would be a no brainer.

• First ever team draft pick
  • First Oiler goal in the NHL
  • Most games played in an Oiler uniform.
  • Only player to have more than 1000 games with the Oilers
  • 6th captain in team history
  • 10 time all-star
  • 383 points as a defenseman
  • Every season he played as an Oiler, the team made the playoffs. Only three times did the team not advance to second round (1980, 1982, 1989). This included surprise runs in 1997 and 1998 after he returned.
  • 1 season as assistant head coach
  • 7th head coach in team history
  • 3rd GM in NHL team history which included a Stanley Cup finals appearance and 8 years tenure
  • Employed by the team in some capacity for 38 years now (granted recent years moreso a figurehead position not related to hockey ops).
This is honoring a life long employee who has contributed to all facets of the organization and excelled in several of the positions and really should be recognized as Mr. Oiler moreso than any player in the team history. He's had his faults, some of them gigantic, and I 100% believe he overstayed his welcome in hockey operation, but he still 100% deserves this honour.

Last edited:

Dakkon

Aug 20, 2021
Sherwood Park
Maybe fans should be thanking Lowe. After all, the mismanagement of the team during the decade of darkness is ultimately what landed us McDavid. And K Lowe was a damn good d-man who went to battle for the oilers every night with a physical edge and the ability to chip in the odd timely goal. He also played with his heart on his sleeve and was a leader on and off the ice. Here's Hoping the ceremony doesn't take too much wind out of the boys sails. Lets Go Oilers!!

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Maybe fans should be thanking Lowe. After all, the mismanagement of the team during the decade of darkness is ultimately what landed us McDavid. And K Lowe was a damn good d-man who went to battle for the oilers every night with a physical edge and the ability to chip in the odd timely goal. He also played with his heart on his sleeve and was a leader on and off the ice. Here's Hoping the ceremony doesn't take too much wind out of the boys sails. Lets Go Oilers!!

Let’s not forget that while there was some PR spin about the initial retooling of the 06 roster and basically a failed rebuild before Lowe & Co. publicly declared that we were “rebuilding”..... McDavid did come under a rebuild mandate that Lowe put in place. Declaring that you’re going through a rebuild in Edmonton is not an easy task. If you think of it in terms of politics... he burnt up all of his political capital in order to send us to the basement to pick up McDavid. He was right that championship teams are built on a foundation of high draft picks. There were mis-starts and failed executions etc etc.... but we were officially rebuilding on a Lowe mandate and MANY organizations prefer to live in denial forever and claw into 9th place in the conference with middling draft picks to show for it.

Lowe expended all the political capital and goodwill he had in this market to put us into the rebuild that led he us here today. He could have done it earlier, maybe he could have done it better, maybe he could have hired someone else to do it better. But here we are. Maybe we are actually going to get another cup in Edmonton. And that is what he was trying to do all along, isn’t it?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
On the Rangers board one comment was “ Hunt McDavid” .
Reaves is one tuff SOB. In saying that, we have a few able lads. I don’t want Nurse fighting but I guarantee that if u looked at McDavid the wrong way, “ Doc” will give u some medicine
gallant isnt stupid, is 97 and 29 are on the ice hes getting reavo off asap. its our 2nd 3rd lines that have to be on the ball because Laffinrere even though the huge points arent there he can take over shifts, he reminds me of mackinnon in the 4 games ive watched, hes thinck and fast and moves the puck really well

Reactions: Oilers in NS

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
gallant isnt stupid, is 97 and 29 are on the ice hes getting reavo off asap. its our 2nd 3rd lines that have to be on the ball because Laffinrere even though the huge points arent there he can take over shifts, he reminds me of mackinnon in the 4 games ive watched, hes thinck and fast and moves the puck really well

Reaves is on IR.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
While the bar for Edmonton is really high for jersey retirements (HHOF induction) almost any franchise that he would have done what he did for the Edmonton Oiler organization even minus the 5 cup wins where he was probably the 6th or 7th most important player it would be a no brainer.

• 10 time all-star
  • Every season he played as an Oiler, the team made the playoffs. Only three times did the team not advance to second round (1980, 1982, 1989). This included surprise runs in 1997 and 1998 after he returned.
  • 3rd GM in NHL team history which included a Stanley Cup finals appearance and 8 years tenure
  • Employed by the team in some capacity for 38 years now (granted recent years moreso a figurehead position not related to hockey ops).
This is honoring a life long employee who has contributed to all facets of the organization and excelled in several of the positions and really should be recognized as Mr. Oiler moreso than any player in the team history. He's had his faults, some of them gigantic, and I 100% believe he overstayed his welcome in hockey operation, but he still 100% deserves this honour.
Great post!

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Even so, we have Kassian who is also a thorn in other teams sides. He will take control of the game physically if needed. Doubt it goes that way though.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

• 10 time all-star

I always knew he was a solid player for the organization but I never fully grasped or understood what set him apart, especially when he played on a team that had Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, and Fuhr. At least I have some idea now though.

Appreciate the insight without tearing me in 2 for having an opinion. :thumbu: Thanks for that!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

• 10 time all-star

People tend to forget the past and only reminisce the present. Lowe was a great player back then, and has proven time and time again, he is deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. Let's just enjoy the ceremony, let his jersey get hung, and move on. Because there won't be another jersey hung in the rafters until probably McDavid and Draisaitl have retired and made the HHOF.

Reactions: yukoner88 and bone

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
People tend to forget the past and only reminisce the present. Lowe was a great player back then, and has proven time and time again, he is deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. Let's just enjoy the ceremony, let his jersey get hung, and move on. Because there won't be another jersey hung in the rafters until probably McDavid and Draisaitl have retired and made the HHOF.

I'm still hoping Smyth gets in during a weak year, largely off the strength of his international career. I don't think it'll ever happen, but I think that his jersey retirement ceremony would be just about the most special night I could imagine.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
My two favourite teams squaring off tonight. Hoping for OT. Congratulations to “Killer”.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Kevin is basically Mr. Oilers

the first Oilers NHL Draft choice
first Oilers NHL goal
most games played
long time assistant to Wayne and then Mess before becoming Captain himself
returned to the team after a few years with NYR, including a 6th cup
became an assistant coach then a head coach, then GM, and finally team President and vice-governor.

It's pretty remarkable, really.

Sure, hiring Tambo and then MacT were really, really poor moves, but tonight is about remembering all the good. Hats off to a true Oiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad