GDT: #10 | "Room For One More" | Rangers @ Oilers | Nov 5 2021, 7:30 PM | SNW, 630 CHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Lowe is probably the worst inductee to the HHOF of all time, but he more than deserves to have his number retired in Edmonton.

I'm really quite sure his tenure as Oilers president bothers him a lot more than it bothers me, which is really saying something because it bothers me lots. Kevin's commitment to Edmonton and to the Oilers is above criticism.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Lowe bleeds oil. He failed some at management and gets the blame for others failures.

Can't have all great years. Anyone remember Gretzky coaching? You think he isnt deserved?

Lowe is a hockey great and an Oiler great and very worthy of fans love.

I certainly remember the year Lowe was the head coach. That was one of the funnest teams i ever watched. The guy made some weird choices, but he brought the energy to the bench. The team was scrappy as all hell and he had them ready to burst through walls if they had to

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This might be a tough one to win. Not super impressed with how the team is playing, especially in the 1st period.

Rangers power play is almost as productive as ours and i have alot of respect for their defense and goaltending.

This game might come down to using our home ice advantage and getting McDavid and Draisaitl out against their bottom 6.

Hoping for the best.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Also every time i see the name Greg McKegg.

1296811.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pretty much everything Lowe did with the Oilers from the day he was drafted until the 2nd Pronger trade and Smyth trade was quality. He did the best he could with whatever he was given whether it be his talent level as a player or the players he had as coach or resources he had as GM. The wheels really only fell off once the resources became pretty much unlimited. I'd rather recognize the 25+ great years he provided to the team than focus on the bad 10 years afterwards particularly now that he doesn't appear to be overly involved with hockey decisions anymore.

Congratulations Kevin Lowe.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Controversial post below

Anyone else here from the generation that never got to watch Lowe play? I really only remember him as a failed manager and one of the architects behind the darkest period in Oilers history. I know he did some good things for the franchise as a player but I still don't really like seeing his face or hearing his voice. I'll skip the ceremony I think.
He’s the last general manager to take this team to a cup final? The acquisitions of Pronger, Roloson, Peca, Samsonov among others were among the best work a GM has ever done for this team in its history.

After Pronger left, like you can compare to current day Montreal and Bergevin, they couldn’t accept that they didn’t have the star power to compete anymore. They wasted years trying to bring in top talent Heatley, Vanek, Hossa, the list goes on and on, then finally Penner. Then after that flopped finally admitted they needed to tank.

I don’t hold his GM work against him, because of that 06 season.

As a player, IMO, he’s not Hall of Fame worthy, he was a good player on championship teams, but when you look at the list of guys he got in over I don’t like it. I have no problem with them hanging a Banner for him, he’s been apart of this organization his entire life, and because of fan pressure now he’s in the background and that’s essentially over.

I am going to the game tonight, but not going to the ceremony, more because I’m from out of town and will just make it in time for the game.

The OBC doesn’t exist anymore here people, I’m hoping the boo birds aren’t out during that ceremony tonight

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Congrats to Lowe on getting his number retired tonight. Not one of my fav players of that generation, but definitely deserving for his time as a player. That being said, since this feels like what could be his final achievement, he can/should retire tomorrow. :D

Excited to see how we match up against this team. Do we #FreeSkinner tonight or go with Koskinen again? Whoever is in net, I hope he has a solid outing and goaltending doesn't decide this game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This might be a tough one to win. Not super impressed with how the team is playing, especially in the 1st period.

Rangers power play is almost as productive as ours and i have alot of respect for their defense and goaltending.

This game might come down to using our home ice advantage and getting McDavid and Draisaitl out against their bottom 6.

Hoping for the best.
Rangers struggle to score goals. They win on the back of shester. Hoping smith makes a return.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Controversial post below

Anyone else here from the generation that never got to watch Lowe play? I really only remember him as a failed manager and one of the architects behind the darkest period in Oilers history. I know he did some good things for the franchise as a player but I still don't really like seeing his face or hearing his voice. I'll skip the ceremony I think.

He was a really good solid player. He was a good GM. Made some good trades and got the team to the final.

But made a few public relations errors and faced a lot of heavy criticism, some of it unfair.

You can debate whether he would have had his jersey retired if he had played for a different team.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Would really like to see Skinner get this start. Koskinen has played in 7 consecutive games and started in 6 straight. I think the only G to play more consecutive games this season is Soroykin on the Isles who is at 8 straight. From my perspective, this is the perfect opportunity to get Skinner in the net. Non-conference opponent. Team is playing pretty well. Lowe ceremony would be a bit disruptive to Mikko's usual routine.

Skinner has been practicing but hasn't played a game in a long time. We may also need Skinner later in the season if another injury to Mikko or Smith occurs. On balance, this is the game to give him. I have a feeling Skinner will be in the crease tonight.
That would be pro active and Tippett doesn’t do pro active.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I still don't like Lowe. I was born in 94 and never followed the Oilers at all until the 06 run. From my point of view as a GM, Lowe was the polar opposite of PC. Lowe made some great trades throughout his reign but was absolutely horrible when it came to drafting, especially beyond the 1st round.

We all know what happened once Tambi "took over" while Lowe pulled the strings above the puppet stage. Lowe's comments about his "cup rings" and the "2 tiers of fans" made me pretty sour on him too

I guess I don't appreciate Lowe as some do because I never saw the 80s. There's a fair chance we would have won all those cups without Kevin anyways though. I've watched the Oilers fail year after year as a younger fan and got sick and tired of the team reflecting on the great past I never got to see by keeping Kevin around for all those years. The team can do what ever it wants with his number though. I don't care one way or another but good for him I guess...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
the rangers PP is at 19.4% ours is 46.4% it’s not remotely close.

even if you’re meaning based on goals score we have 12 goals 5v4 compared to their 6

It's still early in the season so i don't really care what the numbers say. A Power Play consisting of Kreider, Strome, Panarin, Zibanejad and Fox is one that deserves respect.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Congrats to Lowe on getting his number retired tonight. Not one of my fav players of that generation, but definitely deserving for his time as a player. That being said, since this feels like what could be his final achievement, he can/should retire tomorrow. :D

Excited to see how we match up against this team. Do we #FreeSkinner tonight or go with Koskinen again? Whoever is in net, I hope he has a solid outing and goaltending doesn't decide this game.
I would play Skinner against one of the crappy teams we have upcoming, not the Rangers. Rangers have been "meh" too. Goalie is propping them up bigtime.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe pump the brakes a bit…Kevin Lowe perhaps isn’t even in the Top 3 of worst Oiler GMs, those being “No Clue” Chiarelli, “Stand Pat” Tambellini, and hesitantly, McTavish.

Lowe’s Oiler teams made a SCF, and made the play offs 3 seperate seasons when they were scratching money wise to attract players against other deeper pockets. Pete, Steve and Craig had 1 playoff appearance between the 3 of them. I will give McTavish kudos for his and his scouts ability to identify talent though, he made some good selections. Lowe’s biggest roadblock to managerial success was limited funding when the team was owned by the group of local businessmen (who thankfully stood up and bought the team to save it from heading to Houston). Anyway, I’ve been hard on Kevin at times too for some of his less than brilliant media interactions (tier 2 fan here), but today I celebrate his HHOF on ice achievements.

The guy was a winner and a helluva competitor. Congrats Vicious.

This.

Picture Adam Larsson with more offense and more of a vicious streak. Lowe was as nasty as they came.

Plus - not that it's a high bar - he's the 2nd best GM in this team's history.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I still don't like Lowe. I was born in 94 and never followed the Oilers at all until the 06 run. From my point of view as a GM, Lowe was the polar opposite of PC. Lowe made some great trades throughout his reign but was absolutely horrible when it came to drafting, especially beyond the 1st round.

We all know what happened once Tambi "took over" while Lowe pulled the strings above the puppet stage. Lowe's comments about his "cup rings" and the "2 tiers of fans" made me pretty sour on him too

I guess I don't appreciate Lowe as some do because I never saw the 80s. There's a fair chance we would have won all those cups without Kevin anyways though. I've watched the Oilers fail year after year as a younger fan and got sick and tired of the team reflecting on the great past I never got to see by keeping Kevin around for all those years. The team can do what ever it wants with his number though. I don't care one way or another but good for him I guess...

Never saw the 80's.

"Fair chance they win without him though"...

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It's still early in the season so i don't really care what the numbers say. A Power Play consisting of Kreider, Strome, Panarin, Zibanejad and Fox is one that deserves respect.

the rangers have atop 10 PK so it will be slightly more challenging for the oilers PP. Sherstiken is so good so hopefully we get georgiev lol

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

McDavid Draisaitl Hopkins Hyman Barrie
McDavid Draisaitl Hopkins Puljujarvi Nurse
Deserves real respect not just pity respect (or hopeful respect it sounds like).

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Never saw the 80's.

"Fair chance they win without him though"...
Ok I get why that sounds contradictory but could you or someone else enlighten me on what made this player so special? I mean to my understanding he was a good player but besides playing a lot of games is there any other real reason on why number 4 should be retired? I'm fine with taking correction if I'm wrong.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Ok I get why that sounds contradictory but could you or someone else enlighten me on what made this player so special? I mean to my understanding he was a good player but besides playing a lot of games is there any other real reason on why number 4 should be retired? I'm fine with taking correction if I'm wrong.
Ummmm.. He has SIX Stanley Cup rings and was in SEVEN all star games.. I was never a huge fan, and was less a fan of his GM work, but really, I can't believe anyone is questioning Kevin Lowe's playing career....

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The Oilers definitely had a run of terrible GMs starting with Tambo but to act like Lowe wasn't right there beside Tambo and MacT would be rewriting history. Remember Oil Change? Every draft day, free agency day, trade deadline day, Lowe was sitting in that room beside Tambo working alongside him. The guy was very involved and I think we were all aware of it.

There's a reason why Oilers fans were buying ads in newspapers, putting up billboards and protesting outside the Oilers offices trying to get Lowe fired as late as 2015. Barely anyone on this forum had anything nice to say about him around that time.

Again, I realize he's being honoured for what he did as a player, the majority of which happened before I was born. I don't have a problem with what the Oilers are doing. All I'm saying is I have a hard time dissociating Lowe from his tenure in management and can't really respect him as much as someone who might have seen him play.

I'm right there with you. I hate this ceremony, think it's way too early given how he destroyed this franchise as a key part of management. We have years of evidence that even after he stopped being GM, he was in all of those meetings pushing for certain decisions. Yes, he had a good run before stepping up. But the travesty of everything that follows lands squarely at his feet IMO.

I'll be skipping this ceremony for sure.

Reactions: PBandJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad